Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 04:11   #271
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Well you have no need to carry on reading (and posting) on this topic if it doesn't interest you. Also as you are not a resident (or council tax payer) in hyndburn, I am sure it is will not concern you how much subsistence allowances for HBC councillors are raised too. There are many serious issues of 'improper' use of Council Tax Payers money that need to be raised in a public forum, such as this. I am sorry if it bores you, but as you now live in Spain, I would have thought you might be more interested in how your local taxes were being spent there.
That is a very polite way of telling him to sling his hook
Old 08-02-2009, 04:14   #272
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Surely not?

It is he who is the 'victim of vile and vicous attacks'.
I am sure all Councillors are used to personal attacks. It appears to be an unfortunate downside to be in politics.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55   #273
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am sure all Councillors are used to personal attacks. It appears to be an unfortunate downside to be in politics.
Sadly that seems to be true, as I pointed out in Silly Cowgate.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:37   #274
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

Plonker. Tories have put up Council Tax 5% every year from 2004 except one where it was 4%. Labour (amendment) have had their budget pass financial regulations and has been between 2 and 3.5% every year since 2004. In 2003 it was 4%.
Maybe you should go to the library and find out the facts. Labour have voted for higher council tax. You believe in high taxation. Just look at national government for proof. You can't deceive everyone. I'm just glad we haven't had Labour in control or everyone would be paying a much higher council tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
1. The Daily (tory)graph did the reseach and printed the story
2. The Lancs Evening Telegraph ran the Hyndburn expensive headlines.
3. Labour Councillors reprinted the data.
Good work. Deceive the public. Shame on you. I do hope its deception, because if you simply don't understand basic economics, which have been explained to you many times, then I fear dearly if you ever get in control of the borough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
£151.53/£221 = +68.56%
Oh wait, you don't understand economics. You thought council tax had gone up 69% in ten years because you worked it out wrong. Oh dear.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:52   #275

Posted via Mobile DeviceAndrew you have conviently not answered how 7percent increase, as per last Cabinet report was annouced as 3.6 percent by Peter Britcliffe. I did post a link to the report for you. But maybe you do not understand simple economics.

Last edited by claytonender; 08-02-2009 at 10:59.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:11   #276
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post

Oh wait, you don't understand economics. You thought council tax had gone up 69% in ten years because you worked it out wrong. Oh dear.
Sorry, not sure my maths are up to scratch here but if the tax was 151.53 ten years ago and is now 221 - isn't that a 69% increase? Where am I going wrong with the calculation? Please explain.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25   #277
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Sorry, not sure my maths are up to scratch here but if the tax was 151.53 ten years ago and is now 221 - isn't that a 69% increase? Where am I going wrong with the calculation? Please explain.
Because you have only calculated what percentage is £151.53 of £221 not the increase. Should take away £221 -£151.23 = £69.77, then divide by £151.23 x 100 = 46.14 %
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28   #278
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Because you have only calculated what percentage is £151.53 of £221 not the increase. Should take away £221 -£151.23 = £69.77, then divide by £151.23 x 100 = 46.14 %

Fair enough, couldn't work it out - not good on percentages.

Would have thought Graham would have got that right. Then again, it's Clare who's doing the budget so as long as she gets her sums right we'll be ok.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:48   #279
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Fair enough, couldn't work it out - not good on percentages.

I bet you know a pint is 100% more than a 1/2 pint
Old 08-02-2009, 12:59   #280
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Good work. Deceive the public. Shame on you. I do hope its deception, because if you simply don't understand basic economics, which have been explained to you many times, then I fear dearly if you ever get in control of the borough.
Perhaps with time you'll come to accept that it was our most augustly Conservative of daily newspapers, the Daily Telegraph, that labelled Hyndburn as one of the most expensive Council Taxes in the country.

You might not agree with how they came to their conclusion, but I suggest you wouldn't be querying it if the Telegraph had said we were the least expensive.

It's up to the people who are actually paying the bill, to decide who they believe, the Daily Telegraph, or yourself.

Old 08-02-2009, 13:11   #281
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You might not agree with how they came to their conclusion, but I suggest you wouldn't be querying it if the Telegraph had said we were the least expensive.
Yes, yes I would, because it's wrong. We are not the least expensive or the most expensive. I doubt Graham is explaining the figures to people in his leaflets, so people cannot decide what to believe other than being told the lie that we have the most expensive council tax.

Lets see what the Telegraph say about the ten most expensive councils. Ten most expensive areas for council tax - Telegraph Hyndburn is not the most expensive, or the 10th most expensive. Graham needs to stop deceiving the public.
Old 08-02-2009, 14:00   #282
God Member

Quote:
I appreciate that you have never agreed with anything Garinda or I have posted, since we tried (along with several other people) to give you some helpful advice. But you did not want to listen to the advice, just have general rant about bank charges.
As I recollect the advice forthcoming on that day was ineffectual rubbish.
The charge has since been returned to us with interest.
I have close relations in Hyndburn who pay all that is demanded of them, that is why I am still interested.
Maybe you are right about not agreeing with anything that you and Garinda post............That should tell you something....or would you like me to Kow Tow.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 14:20   #283

Re: Living off the fat of the land

[i]Posted via Mobie[/IRoyboy the advice Garinda and I gave you was to approach the Halifax and ask for the charges to be refunded and to apply for an overdraft facility (which is completely free). You choose to ridicule the advice, but IT certainly was not infectual. I certainly don't expect you to 'Kow Tow' . I take it your relatives are happy with the increase in subsistence allowances and the £1500 spent on Area Council calendars then?

Last edited by claytonender; 08-02-2009 at 14:23.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 14:27   #284
Give, give, give member

Re: Living off the fat of the land

Quote:
[i]Posted via Mobie[/IRoyboy the advice Garinda and I gave you was to approach the Halifax and ask for the charges to be refunded and to apply for an overdraft facility (which is completely free). You choose to ridicule the advice, but IT certainly was not infectual. I certainly don't expect you to 'Kow Tow' . I take it your relatives are happy with the increase in subsistence allowances and the £1500 spent on Area Council calendars then?
This advice?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ges-31627.html

It wasn't just us two though, plenty of other people offered advice, that was churlishly rejected because no one else apparently wanted to moan about legal charges banks, made for those who bounce cheques.

Old 08-02-2009, 14:37   #285
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes, yes I would, because it's wrong. We are not the least expensive or the most expensive. I doubt Graham is explaining the figures to people in his leaflets, so people cannot decide what to believe other than being told the lie that we have the most expensive council tax.

Lets see what the Telegraph say about the ten most expensive councils. Ten most expensive areas for council tax - Telegraph Hyndburn is not the most expensive, or the 10th most expensive. Graham needs to stop deceiving the public.
I've never seem any retraction printed in the Daily Telegraph, after they'd published as fact that Hyndburn was one of the most expensive boroughs in relation to it's Council Tax.

As I've said before I've lived in the most expensive borough in England, Lambeth, and one which each year fought to have the lowest Council Tax with Westminster, Wandsworth. The former being a terrible place to live, and the latter a joy.

It's up to the people who use their hard earned money to pay their Council Tax bills in Hyndburn, to decide whether it's expensive or not, in relation to the quality of service given in return.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..