Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2007, 08:47   #1
God Member

Bank Charges

My wife has had notification this morning from The Halifax bank that a cheque drawn on her account has been sent back and a charge of £39.00 has been levied.
The account would have been overdrawn by 6p.
Our pension goes into this bank every Monday.
My wife has spoken to a representative of the bank about these charges and they refuse point blank to credit the account with the charges.
I believe this is robbery and a very easy way to make money for nothing?
I have been keeping up to speed with the current court cases that are going on at the moment about bank charges but it seems that these vultures are going to get away with it unless the government stand on their toes.
The lobby for banks in Westminster is very strong and I would like to know
(I doubt if I ever will) When the banks are going to be brought in line by the government?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2007, 09:42   #2
God Member

Re: Bank Charges

I was under the impression that they can't do this and people have been winning in court, has this changed?
Old 23-06-2007, 09:48   #3
Senior Member+

I would be down to local branch and get it wiped.

If its not a regular thing, ie this is you first OD for a while they usuall waver it.

Ask for the complaints procedure and make a nucence (SP) in the branch, I would.

Never take the first refusal they would have to tell me no at least 5 times before I would let it drop.

After all its for 6p.
Old 23-06-2007, 09:50   #4
Junior Member+

I remember watching an article about this on GMTV last week ....... may be of some use hopefully GMTV - Are you the victim of unfair bank charges? Get advice from Martin Lewis of MoneySavingExpert.com
Trentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 09:50   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
I was under the impression that they can't do this and people have been winning in court, has this changed?
No.............until a hearing is given judgement by a High Court Judge there is no precident for the lower courts to proceed.
Bank have been settling out of court for fear of a judgement against them.

Old 23-06-2007, 10:03   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentster View Post
I remember watching an article about this on GMTV last week ....... may be of some use hopefully GMTV - Are you the victim of unfair bank charges? Get advice from Martin Lewis of MoneySavingExpert.com
Many learned and well advised bodies have said that the charges are against the law but the law seems to want to ignore.

Old 23-06-2007, 10:05   #7
Senior Member+

Roy you should of watch the money programme on bbc last month was all about bank charges and it calculated this 50 year old mans charges over the past 30 years and it was thousands and thousands a real lot of money and then he took the bank to court and got it all back.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 10:10   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
Roy you should of watch the money programme on bbc last month was all about bank charges and it calculated this 50 year old mans charges over the past 30 years and it was thousands and thousands a real lot of money and then he took the bank to court and got it all back.
I have been following this subject for many months and know that even the OFT are investigating at the moment but it would seem the banks do not care.
They make millions a year from this scam and it seems that they expect it to continue?

Old 23-06-2007, 10:10   #9
Give, give, give member

I agree, it is really annoying if that happens.

Most Halifax current accounts will allow you a free overdraft facility, which would prevent this from happening, but I think you have to request it, so it might be worth asking if your account has it.

I very rarely write cheques nowadays, as it is harder to keep track of your balance, as they can be drawn on your account anytime, up to three months after writing them.

As other people have said, go in and speak to someone, explain what happened, and there is a good chance they will cancel the fee.

Good luck.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 10:15   #10
God Member

As other people have said, go in and speak to someone, explain what happened, and there is a good chance they will cancel the fee.
Good luck.[/quote]

My wife has rung the bank this morning and they flatly refuse to give credit.
The person on the phone was quite rude saying it does not matter if it is 1p or £60 the charge is the same.

Old 23-06-2007, 10:19   #11
Give, give, give member

The people who answer the phones for the Halifax are basically call centre workers, and as such may not be authorised to waive the fee. I'd definitely go into your branch, you usually get a more sympathetic response.

Old 23-06-2007, 10:21   #12
God Member

Go to the bank and make a fuss in front of other customers, make the bank look bad.
Old 23-06-2007, 10:30   #13
God Member

One other point.
If these charges are illegal, does anyone know of a mechanism or procedure
that would stop them taking the money from the account on the 28th June as notified?
I will go to the bank with my wife..........dont hold much hope though.

Old 23-06-2007, 10:54   #14
Give, give, give member

Most bank charges are clearly stated, especially when it comes to being overdrawn. The amount, though aggravating, is irrelevant. I don't know if the charges are illegal, if they are clearly stated, and you've agreed to them when you opened your account.

Does your wife have a free overdraft facility on the account? I think most Halifax current accounts allow you up to a hundred pounds.

Old 23-06-2007, 10:54   #15
God Member

Martin Lewis' site which was mentioned earlier is a brilliant place for financial advice -I use it a lot- the forums will give you an insight into what to do next.
PS just got £30 for switching fuel supplier (yet again!)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..