Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2007, 15:58   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Bank Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I think some of the perception around this is that the banks are effectively charging you for making a 'mistake'. IMHO you are as a responsible adult in charge of your own finances. You choose to use the services of a bank and accept that if you transgress certain parameters then you will be charged. The bank is not doing anything that it hasn't already told you it will. You just choose to ignore the fact and being perfectly honest it almost sounds like you don't want to take responsibility for your actions. i.e. your wife allowed herself to write a cheque knowing that there might be a chance that it would be presented to your bank before the funds were available. That was a gamble she took and lost. Would you complain to a bookie that you accidentally wrote the wrong horses name down?

As an owner of 3 companies how would you feel if you weren't allowed to make a profit on something that costs you money to provide? You wouldn't be in business for long.
I agree. The initial complaint didn't seem to be about the amount charged, just that there was a charge at all.

As you said earlier all charges, and changes in those charges, are sent out to all the bank's customers.

It isn't about moving the goal posts, more about paying attention, and observing prudence, and taking advantage of services that this particular bank offers, which if they had, would have resulted in no charges at all being levied...and I'm not a banker.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2007, 16:20   #47
Senior Member+

Also just to add the halifax has a very good internet banking site.

This can help keeping track of your account to make sure you dont fall into the overdrawn trap and get charged.

Saved me on a few occasions.
Old 26-06-2007, 17:10   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I know how much it cost to run a business, I have run three.
If I charged any of my customers a "Fee" for making a mistake the business would not last very long.
Why should banks, and now the utility companies get away with it?
What you seem unable to understand, is that it was your wife who made the mistake and not the bank. she wrote out a cheque when she had insufficient funds in her account to cover the transaction. Techiqually writing cheques when you are aware that there are not sufficient funds to clear this cheque is fraud.

You also seem quite incapable of accepting advice about a free overdraft facility - which makes good sense, because as Willow says there are some occasions when salary credits etc are late being credited into an account. Having a free overdraft facility means that you will not incur any bank charges for debits which bounce because of insufficient funds.

It also makes sense to have internet banking, then you can check your bank balance daily. I only ever keep a balance of about £15.00 in my Halifax current account, but because I have a free overdraft facility I know that if I pay using my debit card or cheque there will always be funds to clear the payment. Then I go online and transfer money from my websaver account (which pays 5.05% interest - before tax) into my cheque account to cover the money I have spent. That way I never get any bank charges and get a reasonable rate of interest on my money.

For someone whom purports to have run three businesses you do not appear to be aufait with how to run an account to your advantage rather than to the banks.

Last edited by claytonender; 26-06-2007 at 17:12.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 17:24   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
What you seem unable to understand, is that it was your wife who made the mistake and not the bank. she wrote out a cheque when she had insufficient funds in her account to cover the transaction. Techiqually writing cheques when you are aware that there are not sufficient funds to clear this cheque is fraud.

You also seem quite incapable of accepting advice about a free overdraft facility - which makes good sense, because as Willow says there are some occasions when salary credits etc are late being credited into an account. Having a free overdraft facility means that you will not incur any bank charges for debits which bounce because of insufficient funds.

It also makes sense to have internet banking, then you can check your bank balance daily. I only ever keep a balance of about £15.00 in my Halifax current account, but because I have a free overdraft facility I know that if I pay using my debit card or cheque there will always be funds to clear the payment. Then I go online and transfer money from my websaver account (which pays 5.05% interest - before tax) into my cheque account to cover the money I have spent. That way I never get any bank charges and get a reasonable rate of interest on my money.

For someone whom purports to have run three businesses you do not appear to be aufait with how to run an account to your advantage rather than to the banks.
Now you are getting carried away......the original post was that my wife had been charged £39.00 for the sake of 6p, cant see that being fraud?
This is looked upon my many more learn-ed than me or you as a fine and not a fee.
I dont purport to have run 3 businesses, I have, luckily now retired I dont have to put up with bank rights or wrongs.
This is not about whether or not to take advice, I have taken that on board and will use that advice if it suits me. At the moment IT DOES NOT.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 17:28   #50

Quote:
Now you are getting carried away......the original post was that my wife had been charged £39.00 for the sake of 6p, cant see that being fraud?
This is looked upon my many more learn-ed than me or you as a fine and not a fee.
I dont purport to have run 3 businesses, I have, luckily now retired I dont have to put up with bank rights or wrongs.
This is not about whether or not to take advice, I have taken that on board and will use that advice if it suits me. At the moment IT DOES NOT.
I am sorry to labour a point but writing cheques when you know there are insufficient funds is fraud. (Not the bank's rulings it is the law of the land - even if there is only £0.06 too little in the account)

As for only taking the advice that suits you -well you are obviuosly very pigheaded - the only reason I can see that you started this post was for everyone to agree with you, you obviuosly can't cope with being corrected.
Old 26-06-2007, 17:38   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I am sorry to labour a point but writing cheques when you know there are insufficient funds is fraud. (Not the bank's rulings it is the law of the land - even if there is only £0.06 too little in the account)
I'm sorry you have laboured the point.
How on earth can a miscalculation of 6p be seen in any way shape or form as fraud.
Fraud is a deliberate attempt to defraud in the eyes of the law.
What is against the law is anyone who administers a fine disguised as a fee when not authorised to do so.

Old 26-06-2007, 17:40   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I dont purport to have run 3 businesses
In post 28 of this thread, you said, and I quote,
'I know how much it cost to run a business, I have run three.'
Make your mind up.

Old 26-06-2007, 17:42   #53

Quote:
I'm sorry you have laboured the point.
How on earth can a miscalculation of 6p be seen in any way shape or form as fraud.
Fraud is a deliberate attempt to defraud in the eyes of the law.
What is against the law is anyone who administers a fine disguised as a fee when not authorised to do so.
But your wife did make a miscalculation and ignorance is not a defence, she did write a cheque when she had insufficient funds for it to clear.

As the fees are clearly stated and circulated, as a leaflet enclosed with your wife's statements, whenever they change. How can it be a fine?

When you ran a business did you not make your customer's pay to the terms which you clearly set out to them. Halifax mailing out there revised terms of busines is no different.

Did the batteries run out in her calculator or did she run out of fingers in her calculations and have to use her toes.

Last edited by claytonender; 26-06-2007 at 17:46.
Old 26-06-2007, 17:43   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
In post 28 of this thread, you said, and I quote,
'I know how much it cost to run a business, I have run three.'
Make your mind up.
It would not be a bad idea if you read the full sentence before jumping in with both feet.

Old 26-06-2007, 17:45   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It would not be a bad idea if you read the full sentence before jumping in with both feet.
I did, what you said is there for all to see.

Hope you've got your bank details sorted out, for when they pay your pension into your bank account in Spain.

Last edited by garinda; 26-06-2007 at 17:51.
Old 26-06-2007, 17:49   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I did, what you said is there for all to see.

Hope you've got your bank details sorted out, for when they pay your pension into your bank account.
I have not mentioned my bank account and that does not matter to you or anyone else.

Old 26-06-2007, 17:52   #57
God Member

Quote:
This is re-posted just for you Garinda

Old 26-06-2007, 17:54   #58
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
That is what he said RindyRoo. It was just the way he wrote it.

Have you been reading "Eats, Shoots and leaves" ?

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

"Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

So punctuation really does matter, even if it is only occasionally a matter of life and death.

Last edited by Neil; 26-06-2007 at 17:58.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 17:57   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
This is re-posted just for you Garinda
Thank you.

It's as clear as mud now.

Old 26-06-2007, 18:01   #60
Resident Waffler

You might find banking in Spain is a little costlier than it is here. Are you going to complain when they levy their perfectly legal charges?

6p or £6,000 writing a cheque when you have insufficient funds to cover the cheque is illegal. Writing a cheque when you have insufficient funds to cover it but do have an agreed overdraft limit is perfectly fine.

Quote:
I pity your poor bank manager, I really do.

The advice you choose to ignore would actually be of benefit to you. You claim to have taken it on board but still intend to ignore it. I cannot for the life of me see any sense in that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..