Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2007, 12:35   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Bank Charges

I admit that I do waffle on most occasions Roy but in this case it was a seriously thought out post with helpful advice but of course you may choose to ignore it if you wish.

I have over 20 years of banking experience but of course you know much more about it than I do.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2007, 12:38   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I admit that I do waffle on most occasions Roy but in this case it was a seriously thought out post with helpful advice but of course you may choose to ignore it if you wish.

I have over 20 years of banking experience but of course you know much more about it than I do.
I have had over 50 years experience dealing with banks from the sharp end
and yes I probably do.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 12:43   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
What a load of rubbish.........The Halifax branch manager has no control over existing personal accounts......if you go into a branch you are directed to use the direct line to a call center.......which you can do from your own home.
Can I assume from your comments that you have never made a mistake on your account and that you are in favour of the bank charging ridiculous and excessive charges for work that is done by a machine?

Our case has been resolved by going through the complaints procedure where common sense prevailed.
I disagree with you, the branch manager of any Hailfax can decide whether to waive any fees. You should have been very insstent in the Blackburn branch (but also polite - it is not the fault of the person you are speaking too in the branch).

As regards my attitude to bank charges - yes I have made mistakes in the past, but accept that I have to pay for them. As Entwisi says there are lots of costs involved with servicing free current accounts, and I strongly object to the fact that because of a minority of people who can't manage their money properly the majority are probably going to be peanalised. Why should I (and others who do not allow their accounts to go overdrawn - beyond any agreed overdfarft facility) pay for the actions of a few.
As regards not being informed of changes to the conditions of your Halifax current account - whenever the conditions are revised, there is a leaflet enclosed with your statement of account.

Last edited by claytonender; 26-06-2007 at 12:47.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 12:44   #34

Quote:

I think your post was very good - but it would appear that Roy knows more about banking than you do.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 12:46   #35
Resident Waffler

I'm also a customer so I deal with banks from your 'sharp end' too - only I'm not quite so sharp about it and we usually manage to reach an amicable agreement.

I know my old manager would never refund charges to someone he referred to as "the cantankerous old bleep bleep" who stormed into the branch effing and blinding but he would listen sympathetically to an explanation by someone of a simple oversight or miscalculation, refund the charges, and offer suggestions (such as the free overdraft facility) as to how they could avoid any future problems.

Old 26-06-2007, 12:56   #36
God Member

In answer to both Claytonender and Willow:
I have had enough experience not to go in anywhere with guns blazing.
I am quite articulate and can express my feelings without ranting and raving.
I would like to know when either of you have been into a Halifax branch to discuss your Personal account and spoke to the manager about it, thats if you are not asking for an overdraft or discussing investments which would probably gain his/her attention?

Old 26-06-2007, 13:20   #37
Resident Waffler

I don't have a Halifax account - but if I did have I would take advantage of the free overdraft facility.

Old 26-06-2007, 13:25   #38
God Member

Quote:
I don't have a Halifax account - but if I did have I would take advantage of the free overdraft facility.
Luckily I dont need an overdraft I would rather use my own money to top up the account (Which I've done) Why keep the fat cats happy?

Old 26-06-2007, 13:33   #39
Resident Waffler

Your (unused) overdraft facility would not keep any cats fat. It's just like a note on your account to say that it has been agreed that you are allowed to go overdrawn by £X. Unless you do overdraw the account you will not pay anything.

It would however provide a safety net for any possible future occasion where you or your wife miscalculate again by 6p. The interest charged on an overdraft of 6p would be negligable.

You quite clearly do need the overdraft to cover such eventualities or you wouldn't have had the problem in the first place.

All you are doing by refusing to accept the available facility is cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

It's not a suggestion that you keep your account in a permanently negative state, just a safeguard against any possible future bouncing cheques.

We've got a Nationwide account with an overdraft facility of £300 but the account remains in the black. It doesn't cost anything when it's in the black but if we had a technical hitch and the goings in were delayed and didn't go in until after the comings out had come out the facility would kick into action and nothing would bounce.

Old 26-06-2007, 13:40   #40
God Member

Quote:
Your (unused) overdraft facility would not keep any cats fat. It's just like a note on your account to say that it has been agreed that you are allowed to go overdrawn by £X. Unless you do overdraw the account you will not pay anything.

It would however provide a safety net for any possible future occasion where you or your wife miscalculate again by 6p. The interest charged on an overdraft of 6p would be negligable.

You quite clearly do need the overdraft to cover such eventualities or you wouldn't have had the problem in the first place.

All you are doing by refusing to accept the available facility is cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

It's not a suggestion that you keep your account in a permanently negative state, just a safeguard against any possible future bouncing cheques.

We've got a Nationwide account with an overdraft facility of £300 but the account remains in the black. It doesn't cost anything when it's in the black but if we had a technical hitch and the goings in were delayed and didn't go in until after the comings out had come out the facility would kick into action and nothing would bounce.
Good advice probably to the people who want it. In my case I will be moving to Spain shortly so I will not have the same problem.

Old 26-06-2007, 14:01   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I have had over 50 years experience dealing with banks from the sharp end
and yes I probably do.

Then you should have advised your wife to take advantage of the free overdraft facility...and then no charges would have been levied against her account in the first place.

Lots of people in this thread have been sympathetic, and given useful advice as well, what you chose to do with it is up to you, but I just hope there isn't another thread moaning about it in the future, if you don't.

As for banking compared to other businesses, most companies receive a discount if prompt payement is forthcoming, and are charged on a gradually increasing scale if it isn't. Not rocket science, just simple economics, and not just confined to banking.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 14:14   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Then you should have advised your wife to take advantage of the free overdraft facility...and then no charges would have been levied against her account in the first place.

Lots of people in this thread have been sympathetic, and given useful advice as well, what you chose to do with it is up to you, but I just hope there isn't another thread moaning about it in the future, if you don't.

As for banking compared to other businesses, most companies receive a discount if prompt payement is forthcoming, and are charged on a gradually increasing scale if it isn't. Not rocket science, just simple economics, and not just confined to banking.
I take your first point.
I do take advice when i'ts offered in good faith.
Do I have to ask your permission to post a thread on any subject?
As for your last comment - nothing to do with the thread at all

Old 26-06-2007, 14:22   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As for your last comment - nothing to do with the thread at all
You raised the subject by saying this, and I quote,

'I know how much it cost to run a business, I have run three.
If I charged any of my customers a "Fee" for making a mistake the business would not last very long.
Why should banks, and now the utility companies get away with it?'

Banks are business, there to make a profit, not state run monopolies, and if you are clever you don't have to add to their profits, in this case by taking advantage of their free overdraft facility.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 14:53   #44
God Member

I think some of the perception around this is that the banks are effectively charging you for making a 'mistake'. IMHO you are as a responsible adult in charge of your own finances. You choose to use the services of a bank and accept that if you transgress certain parameters then you will be charged. The bank is not doing anything that it hasn't already told you it will. You just choose to ignore the fact and being perfectly honest it almost sounds like you don't want to take responsibility for your actions. i.e. your wife allowed herself to write a cheque knowing that there might be a chance that it would be presented to your bank before the funds were available. That was a gamble she took and lost. Would you complain to a bookie that you accidentally wrote the wrong horses name down?

As an owner of 3 companies how would you feel if you weren't allowed to make a profit on something that costs you money to provide? You wouldn't be in business for long.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 15:24   #45
God Member

[quote=entwisi;440302]I think some of the perception around this is that the banks are effectively charging you for making a 'mistake'. IMHO you are as a responsible adult in charge of your own finances. You choose to use the services of a bank and accept that if you transgress certain parameters then you will be charged. The bank is not doing anything that it hasn't already told you it will. You just choose to ignore the fact and being perfectly honest it almost sounds like you don't want to take responsibility for your actions. i.e. your wife allowed herself to write a cheque knowing that there might be a chance that it would be presented to your bank before the funds were available. That was a gamble she took and lost. Would you complain to a bookie that you accidentally wrote the wrong horses name down?

I think you have misread this was a mistake not a gamble.
You would have to take the banks point of view because you work for them that is why your response sounds a bit "off pat"
If your comment is to be taken seriously why are bank charges under investigation with the OFT and why have so many people been able to reclaim bank charges and are continuing to reclaim?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..