Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 13:43   #256
God Member

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Just so we're clear, some of our councillors didn't fully follow the recommendations of the independent body.

They voted to raise the limit even higher than was suggested.

I think all the councillors are guilty of this. Jones admitted earlier that he voted for second allowances and takes them, yet the independent body recommended that second allowances should not be taken. He of course, voted against them first, because at that vote it would mean Britcliffe got paid more because he sits on a lot of committees, and does a lot of work. Nothing like voting against something so you can criticise the leader in the paper for 'not taking up any additional roles so why would he need more money' then taking extra money yourself. I don't suppose Jones will apologise for this hypocrisy.
Old 06-02-2009, 14:19   #257
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

unless i missed it, i aint noticed G.J. calling you "Barrett" andrew.
Old 06-02-2009, 16:21   #258
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
unless i missed it, i aint noticed G.J. calling you "Barrett" andrew.
No its usually much worse than that cashy
Old 06-02-2009, 23:47   #259
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No its usually much worse than that cashy
Not Cyfr?

That is terrible!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 18:50   #260
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Graham, your unbelievable. Labour ruined the council financially last time they were let loose.
Within 4 weeks of gaining power in 2002 we were given a Tory report saying how bankrupt the Council was. It is on record we began cost cutting in July and redundancies in August (from June) ***why would we do that???**. The Audit reports for 2000, 2001 and 2002 say the Council has significant financial weaknesses.

Andrew - once again you're wrong in desperately trying to float the sinking ship Tory.

Quote:
Labour have voted for increased council taxes, much higher than the Conservatives ones, 8 out of 10 times.
Plonker. Tories have put up Council Tax 5% every year from 2004 except one where it was 4%. Labour (amendment) have had their budget pass financial regulations and has been between 2 and 3.5% every year since 2004. In 2003 it was 4%.

Quote:
You introduce complex budgets, the empty house tax you mentioned earlier, to a vote at council, without informing councillors so they can look over it. You expect them to make a decision there and then, otherwise you'll rage on about how the Conservatives voted against it. Back of the fag packet politics and budgets.
The Tories bring many late decisions to Council de riggeur. We asked for a 20 minute recess and then a full debate which could have lasted hours if neccessary. The report was comprehensive and simple. People in the public gallery read it and could comprehend it. Tories voted to end the debate before it even started so how did Tories know how complex it was!

Andrew you are becoming one of those silly Tories that people laugh it because you are so ridiculous.

Quote:
You bang on about our council being the most expensive in the country, you've had it explained to you time and time again that it isn't, and how the paper came to the conclusion it did, but you continue to drill at it because it makes the Tories sound bad. To be frank, Im sure you understand the figures by now, and you're just being dishonest to keep saying its the most expensive.
1. The Daily (tory)graph did the reseach and printed the story
2. The Lancs Evening Telegraph ran the Hyndburn expensive headlines.
3. Labour Councillors reprinted the data.
4. Stop trying to censor anything anti-Tory.

5. The Conservatives have announced 3.6% Council Tax increase but they are pushing up their portion 7% I now believe with 10% cuts. Excellent Council, Excellent Finances???? Why rob people then with more high taxes.

6. You're not going to like our next leaflets then!

Quote:
We have democracy, your party just didn't win.
So we have to accept you're policies then? Not what you just stated regarding allowances. Andrew, think before you speak.

Quote:
Why don't you work with the controlling party for the betterment of the borough, instead of trying to trip the Conservatives up for your own electoral advantage. If you can't do that because of your hatred of Britcliffe, and Conservatives, then I have no idea why you're involved in politics.
Andrew - that's outrageous. You're last two leaflets front page MAJOR policy, Sport for all was worked up totally by me - not the Labour Group if we are getting personal, and re badged as Conservative. I take that as as a compliment.

Ditto The u-turn on Town Councils, Name Change, and the comprehensive financial way forward for the market hall which is now being done which is 100% me again in ideas and direction. The execution of my ideas you're quite right is the Conservatives prerogative.

And last month the Conservatives voted with my ideas on Working Mens Clubs. O&S agreed to look at my idea for a Town Planner and I have personally dragged blighted sites policies from the dark ages to average. Get rid of the Tories and it will be excellent.

Finally lets take a look at Tory failure in full horror. Woodnook. In 2003 Peel had 19% boarded up in Derby Street area. By 2006 it is none or 1.

You're an obnoxious person Andrew because you try and slur me yet I gave more than you'll ever know.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 19:00   #261
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think all the councillors are guilty of this. Jones admitted earlier that he voted for second allowances and takes them, yet the independent body recommended that second allowances should not be taken. He of course, voted against them first, because at that vote it would mean Britcliffe got paid more because he sits on a lot of committees, and does a lot of work. Nothing like voting against something so you can criticise the leader in the paper for 'not taking up any additional roles so why would he need more money' then taking extra money yourself. I don't suppose Jones will apologise for this hypocrisy.
You just can't resist you're personal attacks can you! It shows how much the truth is getting to you that you personally have to go after me instead of telling people what YOU The Conservatives are doing positively.

Let's get the facts right again.
1. Tories bring massive allowance increases to Council every year. Labour never have. Priorities.
2. In general Labour vote against - The Tories with a majority win and allowances go up. Everyone collects the new allowance including independents.
3. Tories remove one extra allowance limit. Labour vote against and loose. Both the above in general go against what the Independent (far away) Renumeration panel advises.
4. Labour vote FOR (as a one off) a SMALL allowance for Planning £750. Councillor Jones declines putting himself on the Planning Committee for the next two years - too busy elsewhere
5 Tories milk second and further allowances by kicking Labour of Vice chairs and increasing the allowances for Vice Chairs to £5000 (from £1700). As well as Chairs and other important positions at £6000 to £9000.
6 The Tories make 5 Labour Councillors sit on Planning (normally 3) and Councillor Jones is FORCED to fill (as we have been losing Councillors at elections). £750 per year allowance is taken as 2nd allowance.

Andrew - don't try and paint me as something I am not. You're proving you're an obnoxious little twerp because you get everything wrong, use mis informartion to slur good people for party political gain.
Old 07-02-2009, 19:04   #262
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=g jones;677005]Within 4 weeks of gaining power in 2002 we were given a Tory report saying how bankrupt the Council was. It is on record we began cost cutting in July and redundancies in August (from June) ***why would we do that???**. The Audit reports for 2000, 2001 and 2002 say the Council has significant financial weaknesses.

Andrew - once again you're wrong in desperately trying to float the sinking ship Tory.

I would add for clarity - The Labour finances of 2002 and 2003 balanced and was signed off by Peter Britcliffe. Explain that as the Tories weren't in power that year!
Old 07-02-2009, 19:07   #263
God Member

Do Local and County Councillors qualify for any type of pension benefits like MPs and other civil-service workers ? Seems to have been mentioned that they lose money (wages) whilst away from work on Council business so their contributions to any pension plan must be reduced as well .
Just curious
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 19:28   #264

Just to illustrate how Peter Britcliffe is economical with the truth (to put it politely) read this report (from Hyndburn Council's website) of the General Fund Revenue Budget 2009/10 as presented to Cabinet on Wednesday 4 February 2009. Peter Britcliffe announced to everyone present that Council Tax would rise by 3.6%, but if you read the report it shows Hyndburn's share of the Council Tax increasing by 7% (see page 38 of the report, were it itemises Hyndburn, Lancashire Police Authority, Lancashire Fire and Rescue and Lancashire County Council).
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Cabinet.pdf

In Accrington Observer the Council Tax increase was announced as 3.6%

Council tax to rise by 3.6 per cent - News - Accrington Observer

Maybe a Tory supporter can explain why the residents of Hyndburn have been given incorrect (and misleading information).
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 20:27   #265
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Just to illustrate how Peter Britcliffe is economical with the truth (to put it politely) read this report (from Hyndburn Council's website) of the General Fund Revenue Budget 2009/10 as presented to Cabinet on Wednesday 4 February 2009. Peter Britcliffe announced to everyone present that Council Tax would rise by 3.6%, but if you read the report it shows Hyndburn's share of the Council Tax increasing by 7% (see page 38 of the report, were it itemises Hyndburn, Lancashire Police Authority, Lancashire Fire and Rescue and Lancashire County Council).
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Cabinet.pdf

In Accrington Observer the Council Tax increase was announced as 3.6%

Council tax to rise by 3.6 per cent - News - Accrington Observer

Maybe a Tory supporter can explain why the residents of Hyndburn have been given incorrect (and misleading information).
How many dire warnings dished out on the current ecomic siuation are being taken notice of?
18 months ago the rate paid to savers was in the region of 6%...The Pound was 1.42 against the Euro.
20,000 people went bankrupt in the last three months of last year...Add that to the 20.000 the people they employed...and I would say many did.
The banks having conned billions out of the government are not lending but considering huge bonuses to the dick heads who failed.
Where are we going?
The polls are suggesting yet again that the New Labour Government have gone 'Tits Up'.
I remember Maggie Thatcher and what she was responsible for but there are quite a few on here who remember what Harold Wilson was responsible for and this bunch of nerds are following in the same footsteps.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 21:10   #266
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Do Local and County Councillors qualify for any type of pension benefits like MPs and other civil-service workers ? Seems to have been mentioned that they lose money (wages) whilst away from work on Council business so their contributions to any pension plan must be reduced as well .
Just curious

Yes they do. The normal LCC/HBC pension but only pro rata their income/allowances. No extra payments allowed. Of course getting knocked off means you discontinue payments too.

Because there are some nasty people around i will put it in this order.
1. I haven't claim petrol/mileage
2. I haven't claim childcare despite having a child (this may change!!!!! LOL)
3. I do put into the pension scheme - none of the other 35 councillors do. Because of Maggie we never had enough (or regular enough) to put into a pension so I, like many my age, have nothing (other than this small pension).

I notice Councillor Britcliffe is lining up another personal attack on me. One trip to London that cost £90. He knows HIS staff could only get me a train fare for £200 to London.

Labour Councillors looked this up and after some searching found it was available for £140.

I know he is lining up any personal attack he can get in.
Old 07-02-2009, 21:21   #267
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Yes they do. The normal LCC/HBC pension but only pro rata their income/allowances. No extra payments allowed. Of course getting knocked off means you discontinue payments too.

Because there are some nasty people around i will put it in this order.
1. I haven't claim petrol/mileage
2. I haven't claim childcare despite having a child (this may change!!!!! LOL)
3. I do put into the pension scheme - none of the other 35 councillors do. Because of Maggie we never had enough (or regular enough) to put into a pension so I, like many my age, have nothing (other than this small pension).

I notice Councillor Britcliffe is lining up another personal attack on me. One trip to London that cost £90. He knows HIS staff could only get me a train fare for £200 to London.

Labour Councillors looked this up and after some searching found it was available for £140.

Does 'this post come under 'Ducking or Diving'?
We are talking about peanuts here.....Is this what local politics is about?
This topic may turn the likes of Garinda on but it does nothing for me.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 22:18   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Does 'this post come under 'Ducking or Diving'?
We are talking about peanuts here.....Is this what local politics is about?
This topic may turn the likes of Garinda on but it does nothing for me.
Well you have no need to carry on reading (and posting) on this topic if it doesn't interest you. Also as you are not a resident (or council tax payer) in hyndburn, I am sure it is will not concern you how much subsistence allowances for HBC councillors are raised too. There are many serious issues of 'improper' use of Council Tax Payers money that need to be raised in a public forum, such as this. I am sorry if it bores you, but as you now live in Spain, I would have thought you might be more interested in how your local taxes were being spent there.

This is not ment as a criticism of Eric's posting, I know he now lives in Canada, but at least he is trying to ask how local government functions her in Hyndburn.

I appreciate that you have never agreed with anything Garinda or I have posted, since we tried (along with several other people) to give you some helpful advice. But you did not want to listen to the advice, just have general rant about bank charges.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 23:13   #269
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Surely not?

It is he who is the 'victim of vile and vicous attacks'.

Well at least according to Jaysay, writing to the press about a 'local internet forum'.

Perhaps he meant Hyndburn Life.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 23:59   #270
God Member

nothing like juicy local politics.jut the way it should be.let the truth be out..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..