Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 14:39   #286
God Member

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I've never seem any retraction printed in the Daily Telegraph, after they'd published as fact that Hyndburn was one of the most expensive boroughs in relation to it's Council Tax.

As I've said before I've lived in the most expensive borough in England, Lambeth, and one which each year fought to have the lowest Council Tax with Westminster, Wandsworth. The former being a terrible place to live, and the latter a joy.

It's up to the people who use their hard earned money to pay their Council Tax bills in Hyndburn, to decide whether it's expensive or not, in relation to the quality of service given in return.
Garinda did you click the link? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1899...uncil-tax.html Do you think its shameful for councillors to claim its the most expensive and deceive the public? I do.
Old 08-02-2009, 14:45   #287
God Member

Re: Living off the fat of the land

Quote:
This advice?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ges-31627.html

It wasn't just us two though, plenty of other people offered advice, that was churlishly rejected because no one else apparently wanted to moan about legal charges banks, made for those who bounce cheques.
Don't forget to mention the cheque was returned for the sake of 39p......hardly a major crime?

Take care Accyweb.....notice the brat in action yet again.
All we wait for now is the tantrum.
Everybody likes me he say's...........some chance.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 15:10   #288
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I've never seem any retraction printed in the Daily Telegraph, after they'd published as fact that Hyndburn was one of the most expensive boroughs in relation to it's Council Tax.
I did not know you read it daily. Good man
Old 08-02-2009, 15:11   #289
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Garinda did you click the link? Ten most expensive areas for council tax - Telegraph Do you think its shameful for councillors to claim its the most expensive and deceive the public? I do.
I notice you, or H.B.C., didn't make a legal challenge when the Daily Telegraph printed the story about Hyndburn having one of the most expensive Council Taxes in the county.

Might it be that although you dispute how they arrived at their findings, their lawyers are pretty hot at making sure their newspaper only prints the truth, for the reason that they'd be easily sued otherwise.

Anyway, we digress. This thread is actually about some councillors ignoring the recommendations of an idependent body, and voting to award themselves a higher limit for allowances.

Perhaps when you yourself actualy start paying a proportion of your income towards a Council Tax bill, you might be in a better position to judge if you think the increased allowances were really needed, or indeed if you thought what you received back in services was expensive or not.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 15:13   #290
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

I like to read everything I can, to ensure a broad view of things, besides which I like their crossword.

Old 08-02-2009, 15:18   #291
God Member

Quote:
I notice you, or H.B.C., didn't make a legal challenge when the Daily Telegraph printed the story about Hyndburn having one of the most expensive Council Taxes in the county.

Might it be that although you dispute how they arrived at their findings, their lawyers are pretty hot at making sure their newspaper only prints the truth, for the reason that they'd be easily sued otherwise.

Anyway, we digress. This thread is actually about some councillors ignoring the recommendations of an idependent body, and voting to award themselves a higher limit for allowances.

Perhaps when you yourself actualy start paying a proportion of your income towards a Council Tax bill, you might be in a better position to judge if you think the increased allowances were really needed, or indeed if you thought what you received back in services was expensive or not.
I think I missed it.

The link, to the telegraph, clearly states we are not the most expensive council. Do you think its wrong for Labour to print that we are, as it is a lie?
Old 08-02-2009, 15:20   #292
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Besides a very right wing political bias, the quality of reporting is very good, if a little dry.

An example being a story they ran last week. You do get the facts, but not the obvious misery some poor people are suffering.

Britons living in Spain 'not prepared for when dream goes sour' - Telegraph

Old 08-02-2009, 15:21   #293
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

At the risk of being jumped on, can someone remind me what this thread is meant to be about?

I seem to be receiving a different, older, thread!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 15:22   #294

Quote:
I think I missed it.

The link, to the telegraph, clearly states we are not the most expensive council. Do you think its wrong for Labour to print that we are, as it is a lie?
Andrew -

I notice you are still ignoring the 'misleading' information Peter Britcliffe gave out at last Wednesday's Cabinet meeting about the rise in Council Tax for 2009/10 for only being 3.6% (and not informing the meeting that this included the other precepting authorities figures).See
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Cabinet.pdf
page 38 clearly shows that the proposal is for Hyndburn's share of the Council Tax is to raise by 7% (and before you say it is a typographical error - I have doubled checked all the figures - for the rise in all bands for Hyndburn's share of the Counil Tax).

Do you think is wrong for the Leader of the Council to give misleading information to the Council Tax payers of Hyndburn?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 15:26   #295
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think I missed it.

I think any political party is free to use information from a factual report that has appeared in the national press, in the good old Daily Telegraph, the archest right wing paper, no less.

Just the same as local newspapers are free to reprint the story...which they did.

Old 08-02-2009, 15:34   #296
God Member

Re: Living off the fat of the land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Everybody likes me he say's...........some chance.

I think he probably meant to say everybody likes him except you
Old 08-02-2009, 15:41   #297
Senior Member+

Posted via Mobile Device who cares they all lie, do nothing, raises taxes and yet spend nothing of it on whats needed! Why i dont vote because who ever wins nothing ever changes!
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 15:57   #298
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
Posted via Mobile Device who cares they all lie, do nothing, raises taxes and yet spend nothing of it on whats needed! Why i dont vote because who ever wins nothing ever changes!
MCR ADIM meant to add.. that doesn't include hard working localLabour Councillors who have been 10 years in opposition. Have tried to do good things but been stopped by local Conservatives.

Like;
Removing 50% Council Tax Relief to Landlords with empty properties
Pegging Council Tax to inflation
Stopping Tory privatisation which I see has cost me another 400k in losses at the Sports centre...
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 16:00   #299
Senior Member+

Posted via Mobile Device actually i did vote for labour last year! As it was my first time i could vote and wanted to do it!
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 16:14   #300
God Member

Quote:
I think any political party is free to use information from a factual report that has appeared in the national press, in the good old Daily Telegraph, the archest right wing paper, no less.

Just the same as local newspapers are free to reprint the story...which they did.
I could have swore I just posted this link Ten most expensive areas for council tax - Telegraph from April 2008, citing 2008/2009 council tax, and how Hyndburn was not the most expensive. The article you're refering to was January 2007, and seems to no longer be online. Probably because it was completely misleading as we both know most people in Hyndburn do not live in band D properties.

Of course, we could just deceive everyone, and keep saying the council tax is most expensive in Hyndburn, despite us not being in the top 10 most expensive as linked above. I personally think that's wrong though, I guess Labour disagree with me as they are happy to mislead people for their own electoral advantage.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..