Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2009, 15:46   #1
Give, give, give member

Local mum needs bone marrow transplant.

I was given a flyer this afternoon whilst shopping in Accy, by the family of a local young woman, who's a wife, and also a mum.

She has acute leukaemia, but unfortunately it seems she has a very rare bone marrow type, meaning the chances of finding a match for a transplant are quite slim, and there isn't anyone currently on the bone marrow register who is the same type.

They are having a recruitment clinic at Hyndburn Fire Station, Hyndburn Road, Accrington BB5 4ED, on Thursday 26th Febuary, 2009. 4pm-8pm.

There is more details on their website.

you could save her life !

It seems a very worthy cause to try and help advertise, and I wish them all the very best, and hope they eventually find a match, and that her lovely kids grew up knowing their mum for a very long time to come.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2009, 16:11   #2
God Member

Re: Local mum needs bone marrow transplant.

I have downloaded the questionnaire, and will furnish my staff with one for thier perusal, i will also allow any member of staff the time to attend at Hyndburn firestation without loss of earnings if they wish to attend, I personally will attend regardless, I hope to see some of you there.
Old 21-02-2009, 16:16   #3
Senior Member+

I would help but know am no longer allowed to donate blood so would think the same would go for bone marrow or anything else like that
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 16:29   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I have downloaded the questionnaire, and will furnish my staff with one for thier perusal, i will also allow any member of staff the time to attend at Hyndburn firestation without loss of earnings if they wish to attend, I personally will attend regardless, I hope to see some of you there.
I was about to say no thanks to the flyer, thinking it was someone trying to flog me something at first.

I felt quite ashamed when I'd read it, and realised that her friends and family weren't trying to sell something, but to help this woman, and by doing so hopefully others awaiting a match for a transplant.

Old 21-02-2009, 16:36   #5
Beacon of light

My age precludes me from becoming a bone marrow donor......but I do hope that she finds a match very soon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 16:37   #6
God Member

Bone marrow donation: What to expect when you donate - MayoClinic.com
Old 21-02-2009, 16:38   #7
God Member

Does your blood group not come into it?
Old 21-02-2009, 16:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was given a flyer this afternoon whilst shopping in Accy, by the family of a local young woman, who's a wife, and also a mum.

She has acute leukaemia, but unfortunately it seems she has a very rare bone marrow type, meaning the chances of finding a match for a transplant are quite slim, and there isn't anyone currently on the bone marrow register who is the same type.

They are having a recruitment clinic at Hyndburn Fire Station, Hyndburn Road, Accrington BB5 4ED, on Thursday 26th Febuary, 2009. 4pm-8pm.

There is more details on their website.

you could save her life !

It seems a very worthy cause to try and help advertise, and I wish them all the very best, and hope they eventually find a match, and that her lovely kids grew up knowing their mum for a very long time to come.
This is a really a sad situation my heart goes out to the lady and her family i will be attending on Thursday. Thanks for informing people.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 16:56   #9
God Member

I got a leaflet handed to me by a fireman up at Stanley, they also mentioned it over the tannoy, I would go along with something like this but they said you had to be between 18 and 40 - WHY?
Can you not donate marrow after you are 40

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 17:07   #10
God Member

Oh well if you have to be under forty that rules me out. Would have been more than willing to be tested. Hope they find a match.
Old 21-02-2009, 17:16   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
I got a leaflet handed to me by a fireman up at Stanley, they also mentioned it over the tannoy, I would go along with something like this but they said you had to be between 18 and 40 - WHY?
Can you not donate marrow after you are 40
In America the upper age limit for donors appears to be sixty, but it does give this information...

'The upper age limit is based on donor and patient considerations. There is a small increase in the risk of side effects from anesthesia in older donors.'

Medical Guidelines for Joining the Registry - NMDP donor health guidelines

Old 21-02-2009, 17:18   #12

Same here would have been willing to be tested just learnt that you have to be under 40 that also rules me out.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 17:25   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My age precludes me from becoming a bone marrow donor......but I do hope that she finds a match very soon.
Me and you both Margaret. Blood donation was always something I intended to do .. was "always the next time" for me ... one thing I have always regretted. After all just a little of your time and you wouldn't miss it, as in the bone marrow donation ... best of luck to this lovely mum. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 19:47   #14

ill bob down thursday and ill bring the wife as she has an extremly rare blood type as well
Old 22-02-2009, 00:14   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossywarrior View Post
ill bob down thursday and ill bring the wife as she has an extremly rare blood type as well
That's great, of you and others.

The more people who register the greater the chances of finding matches for this young woman, and others.

It's amazing that something that was more or less terminal only a few years ago, can now be almost completely cured thanks to the advances made in bone marow transplants.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..