Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 18:57   #31
God Member

Re: London Gunman Shot Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
How can ya claim he was shooting randomly? a newspaper report. was on the news tonight that his parents are demanding answers, so they obviously don't really know yet.
Well from what I remember from the newspaper report the family just didn't know WHY he did it, not what he actually did.

I don't care what he did anyway, I don't think this man can be classed as a criminal and that is just my view.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-05-2008, 19:06   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Well from what I remember from the newspaper report the family just didn't know WHY he did it, not what he actually did.

I don't care what he did anyway, I don't think this man can be classed as a criminal and that is just my view.
How do you reach that conclusion? It is a criminal offence to carry a weapon in public
Old 08-05-2008, 19:14   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
How do you reach that conclusion? It is a criminal offence to carry a weapon in public
also were you discharge a firearm, he obviously flipped but still commited criminal actions.
Old 08-05-2008, 20:47   #34
God Member

Just checked the story again. He was using a shotgun; those must be easy enough to come by .... but not very effective unless at close range against someone without a bullet proof vest. Ah well, he must have been sane enough to realize that shooting at the coppers is a good way to get their attention
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 20:48   #35
God Member

Unless you are in NYC, then all you have to do is go to a stag.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 20:55   #36

What will happen to any life insurance this bloke had ?

Are folk still covered if the die whilst committing a crime or have the insurance companies got yet another clause in their policies ?
Old 08-05-2008, 21:22   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
What will happen to any life insurance this bloke had ?

Are folk still covered if the die whilst committing a crime or have the insurance companies got yet another clause in their policies ?
would guess its invalid? is if ya top yerself i'm told.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:01   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
would guess its invalid? is if ya top yerself i'm told.
And its obvious he wanted to commit suicide by cop
Old 09-05-2008, 12:14   #39
God Member

He was firing through the glass in his window, therefore in his house, and he had a license for the weapon. He'd get the blame for criminal damage to the properties no doubt, but I still don't think this man is a criminal.

Maybe if I lived life giving everything its literal meaning then yes, I might say that man is a criminal, but then I think a huge number of people would be able to define themselves on this forum as a criminal, myself definitely included, which would be ridiculous.
Old 09-05-2008, 16:45   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
He was firing through the glass in his window, therefore in his house, and he had a license for the weapon. He'd get the blame for criminal damage to the properties no doubt, but I still don't think this man is a criminal.

Maybe if I lived life giving everything its literal meaning then yes, I might say that man is a criminal, but then I think a huge number of people would be able to define themselves on this forum as a criminal, myself definitely included, which would be ridiculous.
Sometime I scratch my head at some of your posts blazey, must be you ambitoin to be a defence lawyer when you finish Uni. He might have had a license for the gun but unfortunealy that does not give him the right to take pot shots at the police on the streets of the capital, as someone who was well versed in the law he knew exactly what he was doing, and would be quite aware what the outcome would be, as in bang bang your dead
Old 10-05-2008, 17:08   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sometime I scratch my head at some of your posts blazey, must be you ambitoin to be a defence lawyer when you finish Uni. He might have had a license for the gun but unfortunealy that does not give him the right to take pot shots at the police on the streets of the capital, as someone who was well versed in the law he knew exactly what he was doing, and would be quite aware what the outcome would be, as in bang bang your dead
I do intend on going into defense actually, but not criminal law, but unfortunately I still study it and I can't help but look for technicalities, I pay £3000 a year to be taught to do it.
Old 10-05-2008, 17:19   #42
God Member

Quote:
Firing a gun, licenced or not, at the police or public, from inside a house or outside. is a criminal offence therefore this activity makes the man a criminal surely?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 17:25   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Firing a gun, licenced or not, at the police or public, from inside a house or outside. is a criminal offence therefore this activity makes the man a criminal surely?
Like I said, I think he had issues with his mental health therefore I don't see him as a criminal. I've read many cases where women have killed their abusive husbands, do you think they are criminal?

Just because something is defined as a criminal act doesn't necessarily make someone a criminal by anything other than literal definition for doing that thing. How many people speed on the motorway, are they 'criminals' to you?

I can't think of a clearer way to explain this viewpoint, so I am not going to attempt to explain it again, and either way, he aint going to court for trial so it doesn't really matter.
Old 10-05-2008, 17:29   #44
God Member

Quote:
Like I said, I think he had issues with his mental health therefore I don't see him as a criminal. I've read many cases where women have killed their abusive husbands, do you think they are criminal?

Just because something is defined as a criminal act doesn't necessarily make someone a criminal by anything other than literal definition for doing that thing. How many people speed on the motorway, are they 'criminals' to you?

I can't think of a clearer way to explain this viewpoint, so I am not going to attempt to explain it again, and either way, he aint going to court for trial so it doesn't really matter.
I think you should discuss this issue with your university tutors and peers.
I think you sign off in exactly the same way.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 17:32   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I think you should discuss this issue with your university tutors and peers.
I think you sign off in exactly the same way.
Sorry but what does that mean I 'sign off'?

We discussed the issue of what is a criminal during the first term and whether we considered ourselves to be law abiding citizens or criminals etc, so I have covered this topic already.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..