Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 19:31   #1
Senior Member+

Luther Vandross dies

I was totally shocked to hear about this - I like his music, and 54 is no age at all, is it...

Clicky

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2005, 19:40   #2
God Member

Re: Luther Vandross dies

I too was shocked Vorlon, 54 is no age at all, live for today thats what I say.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 20:25   #3
God Member

<fx:Ian starstcounting on his fingers and toes how long before he hits 54>

****, thats not that far off.

RIP but I ope I get a bit further than that.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 20:28   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

another loss to the music industry,glad i can't sing a note,not a good track record,shocked.
Old 03-07-2005, 20:28   #5

Big shock, almost as much as the Richard Whitely news.
Old 03-07-2005, 21:22   #6
God Member

RIP Luther, but just think how many people he brought together with his songs

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 21:27   #7
Give, give, give member

Musically way to MOR for me.

His early death is very sad though. l found him as a person much more interesting than his music.

My biggest memory of him was him going on The Oprah Winfery Show, what seemed like every couple of months either showing off enormous weight gains, or conversley showing how he had piled the pounds back on.

Obviously a man who was never truly happy, may he now rest in peace.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 22:56   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Musically way to MOR for me.

His early death is very sad though. l found him as a person much more interesting than his music.

My biggest memory of him was him going on The Oprah Winfery Show, what seemed like every couple of months either showing off enormous weight gains, or conversley showing how he had piled the pounds back on.

Obviously a man who was never truly happy, may he now rest in peace.
A couple of things:

What is MOR?

I have read and re-read the sentence about the Oprah Winfrey show. Maybe it's just me, but can you just clarify that for me?!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 23:15   #9
Super Moderator

I thought he was a talented guy, but his voice could never reach its full potential, set against a background of synthesisers, computerised backing tracks, bland production values and "luvre-man" non-songs. I would've loved to hear him singing with a traditional-style rhythm & blues band with a proper horn section (for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, think of the band in the Blues Brothers film).

Still, I suppose if he'd done that he would've never achieved international fame and fortune and would instead have been condemned to playing an endless round of small clubs to obsessives like myself!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 23:48   #10
land of hope and glory

how many people only play in the pubs and clubs and are not recognised?my ears are for all music if i dont like it i switch off or go from the venue,if i like it i stay.everyone has a hidden talent and luther vandross had one in music hope he has a peacefull one.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:18   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
A couple of things:

What is MOR?

I have read and re-read the sentence about the Oprah Winfrey show. Maybe it's just me, but can you just clarify that for me?!!!
MOR- 'middle of the road'. Sorry to much time hangin' with the music set in London. [ie: Kylie, who was very MOR but isn't now.]

Oprah?????????????

He was a friend of hers, and in the late 80's both gained and lost a lot of weight. Was always on her show showing off new figure only to return following season three times the size. He also had drug and alchol issues as well as weight problems.

He never married.

Good job he never posted on here then!!

Old 04-07-2005, 01:25   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
I would've loved to hear him singing with a traditional-style rhythm & blues band with a proper horn section (for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, think of the band in the Blues Brothers film)

you diss Joss Stone, then use this as an example?

BESSIE SMITH, MUCH BETTER EXAMPLE OF A MUTHA WITH BLUES IN HER VEINS.

Last edited by garinda; 04-07-2005 at 01:26.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:40   #13

Sadly, Renaldo 'Obie' Benson, of the Four Tops, passed away on 1st July, He co-wrote, Whats Going On, with Marvin Gaye, Also sorry to hear Levi Stubbs, wheelchair bound, after a stroke and a mild heart attack, although this is probably old news. Never the less, the tops gave the 60s generation, a leggacy that will carry on until we are all under the sod. l
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:54   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
you diss Joss Stone, then use this as an example?

BESSIE SMITH, MUCH BETTER EXAMPLE OF A MUTHA WITH BLUES IN HER VEINS.
The Blues Brothers backing band were a highly talented team of genuine rhythm & blues musicians, featuring the likes of Steve Cropper on guitar and Donald "Duck" Dunn on bass - members of Booker T. & the MGs and Stax studio musicians who played on hundreds of great soul records in the 60's from "In The Midnight Hour" to "Knock On Wood". OK, the whole Blues Brothers image has become a little cliched now, mainly due to the many dodgy tribute bands, but if you go back to the film and watch their performances with the likes of Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin, you will see just how they managed to achieve total empathy with the giants of black American music. Yes, I agree, Bessie Smith is brilliant, but I was looking for an example of a BAND who most posters on this site would have heard.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:01   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Unhappy Re: Luther Vandross dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Sadly, Renaldo 'Obie' Benson, of the Four Tops, passed away on 1st July, He co-wrote, Whats Going On, with Marvin Gaye, Also sorry to hear Levi Stubbs, wheelchair bound, after a stroke and a mild heart attack, although this is probably old news. Never the less, the tops gave the 60s generation, a leggacy that will carry on until we are all under the sod. l
sorry to hear about levi stubbs wasn't aware of his troubles,was only about 12 months ago was talking to one of the original members who told me he was working in tenerife,so this news has really shocked me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..