Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2005, 16:36   #1
Resting in peace

OK, now let's get the cyclists

We've had complaints about pedestrians and complaints about drivers. Let's get to the worst of all worlds - the cyclist.

On the road, on the pavement, you never know where they'll come from next. We have lots of cycle lanes (many double ones) in London. Do they use them? Only if it suits them at the time. They ignore red lights - I would have been hit by one not long ago if the man at the crossing hadn't pulled me back in time - and I had a green man. A woman was killed in Oxford Street a year or so ago, by a cyclist who mounted the pavement at speed and hit her mid on. There's also the idiotic EU directive that cyclists are never at fault when involved in an accident - even if they come round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road, doing a wheelie, talking on their mobile, and blind drunk.

So - who agrees that cyclists should be licensed, should carry insurance and an identifying number? - and they should be liable to a cycling ban for causing an accident, just as drivers are.

I know there are sensible, responsible cyclists out there - if they are responsible, they wouldn't mind being accountable.

What do Accywebbers think?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2005, 17:01   #2
land of hope and glory

Re: OK, now let's get the cyclists

tax them,make them have insurance, a cycling profisioncey test, and tell them to keep off the roads.

and a spell check on here lol.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 17:13   #3

[QUOTE=staggeringman]tax them,make them have insurance, a cycling profisioncey test, and tell them to keep off the roads.

I hope you mean on the roads. Pavements are for pedestrians not bikes. I also agree that cyclists should have to undertake some form of test
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 17:28   #4
Senior Member+

Its the really old men that are the worst offenders and you darnt over-take them in case they shake off !
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 17:30   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I remember when I got my first bike as a child. My dad wouldn't let me ride it on the road until I'd passed my cycling proficiency test. I do believe that cyclists should be accountable for their actions especially regarding causing accidents.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 19:34   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ah some common sense,cyclists should definatly be accountable for their actions, saying that i think that many of them ARE safe on the roads,but that still doe'snt detract from the fact that all ROAD USERS should be. a proficiency test would not be a problem to those who are responsible cyclists.
Old 29-06-2005, 19:50   #7
Senior Member+

I was on my motorbike and the lights had just turned green when a cyclist went straight through a red light across my path.

He was lucky that I was not as quick off the mark that time, otherwise I would have had him off.

I tooted at him, but all I got in response was a finger.

Maybe one day he'll learn the hard way

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 20:14   #8
God Member

Shouldn't be allowed on the roads, they should have to stay on cycle lanes, if it means building more fair enough but get them to pay for it dont take it out of my tax, they dont contribute to the roads I use so why should I pay for anything for them. same for horses they should stay on the fields were they belong not on the tarmac.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 20:31   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

I live near Warrington. The shopping centre is mainly pedestrianised.

To me a pedestrian is a person who progresses on 2 FEET (or 1 foot if he's very unlucky). A pedestrian does NOT progress on 2 WHEELS but, every day, the Jolly Cyclist weaves his merry way in and out and round about the shoppers, causing havoc and scattering pensioners in his wake (It's such FUN).

On the highways the Jolly Cyclist (if he has strayed off the pavement) assumes that road signs/markings and traffic lights apply to other road users, not to HIM. What is a One Way Street to the Jolly Cyclist? You will meet him, head-on, as you drive in the correct direction and he will give you the Finger and a stream of invective if you pass too close to him. A red light, to the Jolly Cyclist, means "Carry on regardless" - especially if it is on a pedestrian crossing. No Entry means "Come in".

In the dark, the Jolly Cyclist comes into his own. He dons his darkest clothing and makes sure that he is observing the war-time black-out, not a light to be seen. It is YOUR responsibility to see him and avoid him. Knock him off his bike and he will sue you for the great god Compensation. Kill him and his family will sue you and you will want to kill yourself.

If policing is the answer, and it should be, then there is little hope. In Warrington it can take the police 2 days to respond to a burglary so policing errant cyclists is merely a pipe dream. So yes, treat them as motorised road users. Tax them, licence them, make them take out insurance. As the police always have time to pursue the motorist this might make a difference.

N.B. Apologies to the Sensible Cyclist. You are capable, responsible and, sadly, a minority.
Old 29-06-2005, 20:45   #10

They need TAX, INSURANCE and DEFINATELY a TEST!!!
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 22:49   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i hope they bring in road tax tomorrow- that might bring a smile to busmans face.
Old 29-06-2005, 22:59   #12
Full Member+

Talking Re: OK, now let's get the cyclists

[QUOTE=K.S.H]Shouldn't be allowed on the roads, they should have to stay on cycle lanes, if it means building more fair enough but get them to pay for it dont take it out of my tax, they dont contribute to the roads I use so why should I pay for anything for them/QUOTE]
I contribute to the roads through my council tax, which is divved up to LCC who maintain the local roads ( Allegedly!) Motorways are maintained by the Highways Authority which is funded from central goverment from taxation.... which I pay as well. Where road tax goes to God only knows!
Old 29-06-2005, 23:12   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick
Where road tax goes to God only knows!
to abolish poverty and dissease

unfortunatly not in the uk
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 23:17   #14
God Member

I think there should def be tests but also I think it should be law to wear a helmet.

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 00:48   #15
land of hope and glory

when you are driving through the countryside and you get at the back of these bikers its so frusterating you could rip your hair out if you had any,they are a pain inb the aSS.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..