Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2015, 22:26   #46
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: M&S Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
I can more or less pinpoint Spring 1999 when they stocked the women's section with black clothes as the year I stopped regularly entering M&S.
Not just any funeral supply wear,

THIS is M&S funeral supply wear!
Lucysgirl likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-01-2015, 22:27   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How long did that last?
It lasted until a suitable offer came in, Store 21.
Old 03-01-2015, 00:49   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
I can more or less pinpoint Spring 1999 when they stocked the women's section with black clothes as the year I stopped regularly entering M&S. I thought it had been on the whim of the manager so drove to Blackburn and was met with a massive wall to wall sea of black - very impressive if you're not wanting to reflect the colours and joys of burgeoning Spring. I notice their new store will only be selling food. The penny must have dropped that nobody is willing to pay more expensive M&S prices for exactly the same foreign imported clothes stocked in neighbouring shops.

If anyone has seen an arrow on a signpost on any Accrington Road with the words "Town Centre" or "Shopping Centre" you've got better eyesight than me.
Can't remember, but when we were in Accrington there used to be a sign pointing to the toilets in Dutton Street
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:51   #49
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Can't remember, but when we were in Accrington there used to be a sign pointing to the toilets in Dutton Street
So the assumption there would be that Accy is only fit as a Shiite house???
Old 03-01-2015, 11:34   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Here's another thought, just suppose one of our serving Councillor's or perhaps a locally based MP was to follow up on this idea of M&S leaving the area?

Perhaps this is part of a plan?

M&S perhaps don't want to leave the town but, costs to the council are too much, now obviously there can be no favouritism in commerce, (yeah right), so an announcement goes out, shock horror and surprise from the public face of the town trading councillor then a sudden super hero steps forward, stop, decease, says he or she, this is silly we can work it out, M&S are then granted one off never to be repeated concessions, the politician involved is shown to be the hero of the people in a very important year for votes and thus gets publicity and browny points what would we end up with?......
That would be good if HBC could actually do anything. Rent is set by the Arndale and I believe they already had a special long term lease. Business rates are set by central government so again HBC can't reduce them.
Ken Moss likes this.
Old 03-01-2015, 15:13   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
That would be good if HBC could actually do anything. Rent is set by the Arndale and I believe they already had a special long term lease. Business rates are set by central government so again HBC can't reduce them.
Not too long ago it was stated publically that WHS were going to close - allegedly the rental on the premises were then re-negotiated and so they are still there.
Old 03-01-2015, 16:33   #52
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

M&S leaving has nothing to do with rents, they were paying almost nothing anyway. They are moving to a new store that is appears will be selling food with no clothes and will have a café. This appears to be a total change in direction from the store in Accrington and we might see it elsewhere in the future.

A petition has been created which in my opinion is a waste of time when you consider this change of business model
Old 03-01-2015, 17:47   #53

Quote:
M&S leaving has nothing to do with rents, they were paying almost nothing anyway. They are moving to a new store that is appears will be selling food with no clothes and will have a café. This appears to be a total change in direction from the store in Accrington and we might see it elsewhere in the future.

A petition has been created which in my opinion is a waste of time when you consider this change of business model
A waste of time so far as I'm concerned also, M&S will do whatever M&S consider is best for M&S.

However, can you not see that others are being given a chance to appear to do something, twit's will be twittered, faces will be booked, accyweb will be accused of having a negative attitude to all that is being done on our behalf towards keeping this keystone store from becoming empty, hands will be wringing faster than creams can be applied to prevent friction burns and what will happen?

M&S being peed Orf will leave but all those whose seats that depend this year on being seen to be doing something at least once within their voting term will attempt to give that appearance, they will fail, they will blame anyone else other than themselves for that failure...

95% of them may even show up on site to tell us how we put the mockers on what could have been their triumph.

Good luck M&S look after yourselves and your shareholders thanks for staying as long as you did.
Guinness likes this.
Old 03-01-2015, 21:28   #54

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Oh our MP has been booking his face for a few days..stating how he was against the bus station, the arndale, the removal of the car park and Black Bull, pulling down the market etc..etc.., dropping in the occasional platitude to responses from the party faithful, glibly stating that it wasn't his fault despite HBC being labour run for around 2/3rds of the last 40 years of incompetent decisions.

Still at least it looks like he, and not one of his interns, has written his status because it actually mentions Accrington as opposed to the usual mythical 'xxx' constituency he represents..

For those of you without facebook..this is journalism at its laziest because its pretty much a few facebook comments turned into an article..

POOR DECISIONS: Hyndburn MP fears over downfall of Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Wonder why he didn't use the opportunity of going first on PMQ's to actually ask about his constituency instead of what EdM (or one of his goons) told him to ask?

Meanwhile our Council Leader is keeping his gob shut, probably because he doesn't want stuff like this bringing up...

Blackburn finance chief: 'We don?t want to be an Accrington? (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Especially the bit about creating jobs being a priority...how ya doin' on that front then mate?
Old 03-01-2015, 21:36   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well thats very odd, i'm sure Graham once told me the New bus station was a good idea.
Old 03-01-2015, 21:43   #56

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well thats very odd, i'm sure Graham once told me the New bus station was a good idea.
Are you 95% sure about that?
Old 03-01-2015, 21:59   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Are you 95% sure about that?
I'm 95% sure he has mentioned his pro bus station status on this site during one of his, 'you know nowt I know what's best, how dare you think you have an opinion' rants.

Though I am 100% sure I ain't going through all his past posts just to prove it.

Old 03-01-2015, 22:00   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Though I am 100% sure I ain't going through all his past posts just to prove it.

Ooooh! look for once an accurate percentage.

Old 03-01-2015, 22:06   #59

Homebase are going now !!!
Old 03-01-2015, 22:13   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetrovers View Post
Homebase are going now !!!
Do try to keep up:-

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/1128041-post39.html

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..