Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16   #16
God Member

Re: M&S phantom dress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
My trouble is that I'm honest to the point of stupidity. One day last year I went round Sainsburys with one of the trollies that has built-in racks for bottles underneath. I went through the checkout and out of the store to my car. It was only when I was loading the shopping into my boot that I realised I had a bottle of vodka and a bottle of wine in the rack that I'd forgotten about and hadn't paid for.

Now nobody had noticed, nobody had felt my collar, and what did I do? I went scurrying back into the store and paid for them - like an idiot.

For just that reason, I won't let any shop get away with overcharging/shortchanging me and, if they try to, my heels get firmly dug in until I'm proved right.
I think it is really nice that there are honest people in the world in respect to things like that, billions of pounds is lost through shoplifting and it is pretty ridiculous. In my situation it wasn't my mistake, it was theirs. But if either of us had been accused of stealing then we'd be treated no differently than the people who knowingly and purposefully take things and we'd probably have both been treated the same in court over it. Judges and juries are generally biased towards the people standing in the dock whether it is positive or negative things. They pick up on class and circumstances and all the rest of it, but the lawyers themselves aren't going to be nice to us and do what is right if they're trying to get results!

I guess that is my acknowledgement of the legal profession being ruthless. It doesn't happen often.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2009, 03:30   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I think it is really nice that there are honest people in the world in respect to things like that, billions of pounds is lost through shoplifting and it is pretty ridiculous. In my situation it wasn't my mistake, it was theirs. But if either of us had been accused of stealing then we'd be treated no differently than the people who knowingly and purposefully take things and we'd probably have both been treated the same in court over it. Judges and juries are generally biased towards the people standing in the dock whether it is positive or negative things. They pick up on class and circumstances and all the rest of it, but the lawyers themselves aren't going to be nice to us and do what is right if they're trying to get results!

I guess that is my acknowledgement of the legal profession being ruthless. It doesn't happen often.
Not often or if ever and your right blazey the Law is a bit like football really, a results game, win at all cost and never let the truth get in the way of a good pay day in Chambers

Last edited by jaysay; 06-01-2009 at 03:36.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 13:13   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not often or if ever and your right blazey the Law is a bit like football really, a results game, win at all cost and never let the truth get in the way of a good pay day in Chambers
Well George Carman certainly drank to that many times!! Hic!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 14:27   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

could have understood this if it had been "Burnley" Marks @ Spencer" they wouldn't know the difference oer yon.
Old 06-01-2009, 14:32   #20
Passed away 25-11-09

Blazey, it's one of my biggest fears that one day I will inadvertantly shop-lift something and be prosecuted. It's something I would never contemplate doing consciously but it's so easily done.

It wouldn't matter a damn to the store management, the police or the magistrates that I've been honest all my life and it would do no good to protest it was accidental. One slip and I would be branded a thief and/or losing my marbles. It's a frightening thought.
Old 06-01-2009, 14:37   #21
God Member

Dr Isabel Barnett (who was in Whats My Line on tv) did just that....
and the poor soul did herself in because of the shame

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 14:45   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Dr Isabel Barnett (who was in Whats My Line on tv) did just that....
and the poor soul did herself in because of the shame

It's her who I always think of in that connection. They tried to make out she was loopy and a kleptomaniac but I believe she just did what I did with the vodka and wine - forgot to pay.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..