Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2007, 17:24   #1
God Member

Man shot dead enforcing smoking ban

It's been less than a month since the smoking ban came in someone has been killed as a direct result.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=3421196

I think some Landlords may just have to "turn a blind eye" in some pubs and clubs!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2007, 17:30   #2
Yank in King Art's Court!

Re: Man shot dead enforcing smoking ban

Yeah, that is pretty awful.. I had automatically thought it took place in the states. That kind of shooting is very rare for England is it not?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 17:32   #3
Senior Member+

Sadly not anymore Brian, shooting and stabbing are very popular here at the moment.
Old 27-07-2007, 17:43   #4
God Member

Just goes to show how bad its getting with a small minority when someone who is just doing there job.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 17:43   #5
God Member

I know its a ****** having to go outside for a smoke, but FFS this isn't the landlord/ladies fault............... they are doing a job and trying not to get a big fine whilst doing their jobs.

I think people in general need to give their head a wobble

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 17:46   #6
God Member

Hardly a direct result of the smoking ban, Mancie.
It's a result of angry idiots owning firearms.

RIP James Oyebola
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 18:08   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

RIP James Oyebola
Fair point Shaker... I've seen this man (R.I.P) in the flesh and can say very few men would have taken him on in a fist fight!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 18:09   #8
God Member

Told to put their fags out - yes. Angry - yes Out for revenge over being told off - yes Result they shoot him.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 18:13   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Told to put their fags out - yes. Angry - yes Out for revenge over being told off - yes Result they shoot him.
It's not a direct result of the smoking ban though.
Ordinary people wouldn't have gone out and bought a firearm especially to shoot this man because he told them to put their cigarettes out.
These angry idiots had the firearms anyway to cause fear and to pump up their idiotic egos and used them accordingly.
If smoking ban was the direct cause then there would have been a hell of a lot more of these shooting incidents.
Old 27-07-2007, 18:30   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Man shot dead enforcing smoking ban

Quote:

RIP James Oyebola
Not a direct result of the smoking ban? Are you living in the real world?

Of course it was a direct result of the smoking ban.

James Oyebola asked three guys to stop smoking inside a night club. For his trouble he was shot outside. Just how direct do you want it?

If there hadn’t been a smoking ban James would not have had a reason to ask others not to smoke and probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought.
Old 27-07-2007, 18:35   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Not a direct result of the smoking ban? Are you living in the real world?

Of course it was a direct result of the smoking ban.

James Oyebola asked three guys to stop smoking inside a night club. For his trouble he was shot outside. Just how direct do you want it?

If there hadn’t been a smoking ban James would not have had a reason to ask others not to smoke and probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought.
You're making a complete inductive leap from the smoking ban to the landlord being shot.
You're carefully leaving out very important information about the killers' state of mind & they're current posession of firearms.
Ah but no, no other factor could've possibly made the culprits commit the crime, it must've been the smoking ban right? Wrong.

Last edited by shakermaker; 27-07-2007 at 18:44. Reason: typo
Old 27-07-2007, 18:55   #12
Give, give, give member

Is a smoking pistol allowed under the new ban then?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 19:01   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Man shot dead enforcing smoking ban

Quote:
You're making a complete inductive leap from the smoking ban to the landlord being shot.
You're carefully leaving out very important information about the killers' state of mind & they're current posession of firearms.
Ah but no, no other factor could've possibly made the culprits commit the crime, it must've been the smoking ban right? Wrong.
And you shakermaker are making a leap in the dark by assuming that there was something else involved in the incident. I assume that you were there as a fly on the wall and saw and heard the whole incident.

Were you?

No! I thought not! You, just like me, can only go by what was reported in the press. There was no mention of any other factors - ergo there were none. Thus the cause of the shooting was the three jerks taking umbrage at being told to stop smoking in the night club. That’s about as direct as you can get.

There may well have been an altercation outside between James and the three turds that was related to them being told not to smoke but if there was it was not reported. Of course a Johnny know-it-all makes assumptions and then tries to defend the indefensible.
Old 27-07-2007, 19:01   #14
Senior Member+

The individuals were asked not to smoke. Therefore, it was a direct consequence of the no smoking ban. Their state of mind has nothing to do with it.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 19:06   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Man shot dead enforcing smoking ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Is a smoking pistol allowed under the new ban then?
The law applies to smoking tobacco products so I guess it must be OK for a pistol to smoke.

For those gasping for a fag the answer could be to smoke tea leaves.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..