Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 18:09   #1
Senior Member+

Mark Rothko

A vandal has daubed paint on a piece of work valued at several million pounds at the Tate Gallery in London.

The work in question is Maroon on Black 1958 by Mark Rothko, the original of which I reproduce below:-

I am happy to listen to anybody who can tell me why this is remotely valuable.

I'm not a philistine, but I'm also not stupid.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2012, 18:23   #2
God Member

Re: Mark Rothko

Well, seeing as it didn't cost 'owt, what's the problem? Of much more concern is the fact we have a let a loonatic russkie into the country. How and why? He needs to get picked up and shipped out PDQ.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 18:23   #3
Senior Member+

It's worth something because he decided to paint it with the intent that it would be worth something - perhaps this is the answer.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 18:27   #4
God Member

As an optimist, I consider any addition of extra colour can only improve its viewability.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 18:29   #5
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
As an optimist, I consider any addition of extra colour can only improve its viewability.
The graffiti were black Marg!

BBC News - Defacing Rothko painting 'not vandalism'

PS Twas Black on Maroon not Maroon on Black according to BBC.
Old 08-10-2012, 18:32   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
It's worth something because he decided to paint it with the intent that it would be worth something - perhaps this is the answer.
It was a commission, for a NY restaurant, originally. Part of a series of murals.
Old 08-10-2012, 18:36   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
It was a commission, for a NY restaurant, originally. Part of a series of murals.
Probably a cheap kebab joint or Indian takeaway.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 18:42   #8
Senior Member+

Looks like we have an answer as to why the 'painting' was vandalised.

The culprit was apparently a Mr Umanets, and a founder of "Yellowism", which he describes as "neither art, nor anti-art".

"Yellowism is not art, and Yellowism isn't anti-art. It's an element of contemporary visual culture. It's not an artistic movement.

"It's not art, it's not reality, it's just Yellowism. It can't be presented in a gallery of art, it can be presented only in a Yellowistic chambers.

"The main difference between Yellowism and art is that in art you have got freedom of interpretation, in Yellowism you don't have freedom of interpretation, everything is about Yellowism, that's it."

So now we know.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 18:44   #9
God Member

The use of the word asylum rang true .

That mural stirred thoughts in me of a window in a prison where some bars had been stolen by 'pixies'.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 19:00   #10
Resting In Peace

If anyone can be bothered here's a quite long but interesting article on the artist and these paintings.

How Rothko's Seagram murals found their way to London | The Guardian
Old 08-10-2012, 19:51   #11
Super Moderator

There must be a few primary schools in the vicinity of the gallery.

Just get some of the kids to paint a replacement.

Problem solved!
Old 08-10-2012, 20:09   #12
Super Moderator

Just read that Guardian article. According to the feller who wrote it, they're masterpieces:

Rothko's murals tantalise us with architectural allusions, the idea of space, of windows, doors and portals leading into the great purple yonder, but there is nothing here but two-dimensional colour on vast tracts of canvas.

I love the verbal contortions that these culture vultures go through to justify the emperor's new clothes scenario.

Interesting that he originally painted them for a New York restaurant. There were a couple of Rothkos in that caff in the Arndale that closed down. I suppose after they'd shelled out for the paintings, there was nowt left to run the business.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..