Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2008, 23:55   #16
Senior Member+

Re: mark speight died

Big picture was my favourite bit 2... he was hilarious

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2008, 01:22   #17
God Member

Guess it just goes to show that the BBC doesn't operate a drug free work place , wonder how many other druggies and junkies are employed and paid for from taxpayers license fees .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 07:03   #18

Sorry never heard of him, but he seemed to be a favourite, by the posts I've read.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 07:16   #19
Resting in Peace

R.I.P Mark
used to watch him with the kids they loved him

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nspeight.jpg (19.1 KB, 75 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 07:21   #20
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Guess it just goes to show that the BBC doesn't operate a drug free work place , wonder how many other druggies and junkies are employed and paid for from taxpayers license fees .
How on earth are the BBC supposed to know what someone does in their own free time? Are you suggesting they bug the home of every employee/presenter/guest on a TV show? Where do they stop? Do they check wardrobes for animal furs? How about taking blood samples to see how much alcohol they consume?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 10:59   #21
Senior Member+

yeah and its not as if they can impose a drug testing policy - there's major sportppl that get away with taking coke for a long time - aka adrian mutu of chelsea

what ppl do in their own spare time is their own business - aka mr mosely
Old 14-04-2008, 16:58   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
How on earth are the BBC supposed to know what someone does in their own free time? Are you suggesting they bug the home of every employee/presenter/guest on a TV show? Where do they stop? Do they check wardrobes for animal furs? How about taking blood samples to see how much alcohol they consume?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
yeah and its not as if they can impose a drug testing policy - there's major sportppl that get away with taking coke for a long time - aka adrian mutu of chelsea

what ppl do in their own spare time is their own business - aka mr mosely
Sorry , have to disagree with you both on this .........I dont think either of you would approve if you knew your childs teacher was a ' recreational' drug user (or would you?) so why is it okay for someone who has an influence over your childs mind thru the TV set to be a druggie . Don't think you would approve if your local GP was a recreational morphine user would you? and say "Well it's ok , he's only doing it when he's not seeing patients"
Willow , whats wrong with taking employee blood/urine samples ? , if your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear , right ? How is it anymore of an intrusion into personal privacy than the present situation .......100% of the population of the UK are followed daily by CCTV cameras , how many of them are doing wrong ? . Over 25% of the UK population are on a DNA data base without ever being convicted of a crime, you want those records tossed out , never mind that they have solved many 'cold cases'.
Mani , drug usage by professional football "stars" is down to their clubs as private employers and the F.A. to ensure they are clean , I'm sure you dont approve of the UK olympic team being made up of steriod boosters like some pro wrestling freak show ,

The point of my earlier post was to point out that this guy was a 'public' employee , paid for by your TV license fee ,
My thinking is ........ if I'm paying anyones wages either as an employer or indirectly thru taxation I have the right to expect that they will be 100% clean .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 18:16   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Sorry , have to disagree with you both on this .........I dont think either of you would approve if you knew your childs teacher was a ' recreational' drug user (or would you?) so why is it okay for someone who has an influence over your childs mind thru the TV set to be a druggie . Don't think you would approve if your local GP was a recreational morphine user would you? and say "Well it's ok , he's only doing it when he's not seeing patients"
Willow , whats wrong with taking employee blood/urine samples ? , if your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear , right ? How is it anymore of an intrusion into personal privacy than the present situation .......100% of the population of the UK are followed daily by CCTV cameras , how many of them are doing wrong ? . Over 25% of the UK population are on a DNA data base without ever being convicted of a crime, you want those records tossed out , never mind that they have solved many 'cold cases'.
Mani , drug usage by professional football "stars" is down to their clubs as private employers and the F.A. to ensure they are clean , I'm sure you dont approve of the UK olympic team being made up of steriod boosters like some pro wrestling freak show ,

The point of my earlier post was to point out that this guy was a 'public' employee , paid for by your TV license fee ,
My thinking is ........ if I'm paying anyones wages either as an employer or indirectly thru taxation I have the right to expect that they will be 100% clean .
Sad to say I agree but I would add that I also agree that what people do in their own time is up to them.So if someone in a privalaged possision wants to sniff coke and hang themselves it's no buisiness of mine.There are more important issues.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 18:18   #24
Senior Member+

Rip..............
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 18:22   #25
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

My son ussed to watch his shows

R.I.P ~Mark.....what a waste
Old 14-04-2008, 18:52   #26
Senior Member+

Tin hat time !!

Now no-one has said this and I dont know if anyone apart from me will but I have absolutley no sympathy for this guy - he was a drug taking junkie - end of.
I dont care what he did, who he worked for etc, he bought coke from a dealer who supplies the streets of where ever thus keeping the chain flowing...thats wrong and illegal.
so his girlfriend over dosed on a cocktail of tablets and coke - big deal - it happens every day but cos they are half famous it makes the news..
they were both junkies - regardless of the amounts they took (something we will never know) - and as far as I am concerned all junkies deserve the same thing.
2 less from the streets and less money in the dealers pocket.

I know that will get some folks backs up but I dont care cos at the end of the day drugs are drugs are drugs - and it doesnt matter who you are - if you take them your a junkie.

I await the bad karma and to be shot down in flames.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 19:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
Tin hat time !!

Now no-one has said this and I dont know if anyone apart from me will but I have absolutley no sympathy for this guy - he was a drug taking junkie - end of.
I dont care what he did, who he worked for etc, he bought coke from a dealer who supplies the streets of where ever thus keeping the chain flowing...thats wrong and illegal.
so his girlfriend over dosed on a cocktail of tablets and coke - big deal - it happens every day but cos they are half famous it makes the news..
they were both junkies - regardless of the amounts they took (something we will never know) - and as far as I am concerned all junkies deserve the same thing.
2 less from the streets and less money in the dealers pocket.

I know that will get some folks backs up but I dont care cos at the end of the day drugs are drugs are drugs - and it doesnt matter who you are - if you take them your a junkie.

I await the bad karma and to be shot down in flames.
He and his girlfriend may well have been junkies, but “once a junkie” doesn’t necessarily equate to “always being a junkie”

I don’t particularly sympathise with his death any more than anyone else I don’t know. I certainly wouldn’t wish him dead had he still been alive, just because he took drugs.

It's your opinion mate, neither good nor bad karma sent

Old 14-04-2008, 19:14   #28
Senior Member+

of course no one wants their kids teacher to be a junkie but it happens

if the teacher was ever caught they wud lose their job thru the crb process BUT no checks for previous exist and this is all upon IF they get caught.

i was workin the doors at a gay nite once and i caught a guy with quite ALOT of coke - after a search it turned out he was a doctor at warrington hospital. a ****in doctor who more than anyone shud know what they do
Old 14-04-2008, 19:55   #29
Beacon of light

none of us knew this man personally...we only know of him what the papers want to tell us(and as sensationally as only the media know how). So I can't see that we are in a position to judge him. He spent the last few weeks of his short life in torment....and now he is gone he has a family who will be in torment too.
I was brought up not to speak ill of the dead...they cannot defend themselves.

I saw this young man on Tv and found his programs interesting and stimulating.......and the children loved him and he stimulated their creativity and imagination......and maybe I am naive(or thick) but there was no way you could tell from his performances that he was a drug user.

No, you wouldn't want a teacher to be using drugs and teaching your children(though I am sure there will be some who do).....but a TV presenter is different, in that he isn't in direct personal contact with the children. And I'm sure the BBC would have stepped in if they thought his performances were affected by drug use.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 19:56   #30
Beacon of light

RIP Mark.....my thoughts go out to his parents and family.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..