Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 13:56   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Smile michael howard

just read on the net that michael howard has quit as leader of the conservitives following the election defeat, great pity labour could have stayed in power for years if he would have remained,still thats life.
Old 06-05-2005, 14:00   #2
God Member

Re: michael howard

Ladbrokes are giving odds of 150/1 on a certain P.Britcliffe replacing him as leader.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 14:06   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Smile Re: michael howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Ladbrokes are giving odds of 150/1 on a certain P.Britcliffe replacing him as leader.
wouldn't put a tenner on britcliffe at 1.000,000-1 lol
Old 06-05-2005, 14:53   #4
Senior Member+

He hasn't quit yet, but I reckon he will do within the year.

I reckon Tony Blair will go within the next 2 years.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 15:04   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
He hasn't quit yet, but I reckon he will do within the year.

I reckon Tony Blair will go within the next 2 years.
what channel are you watching vorlon ive seen and heard him quit,agree about blair and hope you are correct,p.s. he said he was only staying on till certain things are sorted but basically hes history.(howard i mean)

Last edited by cashman; 06-05-2005 at 15:07.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 15:18   #6

As a Labour supporter the only man I fear is Ken Clarke,the names that were given out on sky news John Redwood etc etc would get no more votes than MH! They must learn like we had to that if you want to win power you must try to get the centre ground and not just appeal to their own voters!
as for TB,I agree he'll move over in a couple of years and then let Gordon Brown or who ever (they'll be others who'll want the job as well) take over in good time for the next election.

Last edited by wayneyboy1942; 06-05-2005 at 15:22.
wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 15:25   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

clarke has always been a political heavyweight and would agree wholeheartedly they need to capture the middle ground, as conservitive means conserve for oneself they might find that a bitter pill to swallow. why can't we have a bet on when blair stands down?

Last edited by cashman; 06-05-2005 at 15:27.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 15:29   #8
God Member

The interesting scenario is the future Blair/Brown relationship. Given the major structural weaknesses within the economy - which Brown is primarily responsible for - all the key financial indicators are now firmly pointing towards a substancial recession. Will Brown put the knife in Blair's back before that recession rolls in and move next door into number 10? Or will Blair hang on and let Brown stew in his own broth as private sector unemployment climbs remorselesly, house repocessions rise and people finally realise that Brown's stewardship of the economy has been an unmitigated disaster.
Old 06-05-2005, 15:32   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
The interesting scenario is the future Blair/Brown relationship. Given the major structural weaknesses within the economy - which Brown is primarily responsible for - all the key financial indicators are now firmly pointing towards a substancial recession. Will Brown put the knife in Blair's back before that recession rolls in and move next door into number 10? Or will Blair hang on and let Brown stew in his own broth as private sector unemployment climbs remorselesly, house repocessions rise and people finally realise that Brown's stewardship of the economy has been an unmitigated disaster.
what are you taking tealeaf ?lol
Old 06-05-2005, 15:41   #10
Senior Member+

I thought that was quite succintly put, personally!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 15:46   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness Thatcher
I have been Conservative all my life and the Conservatives are right for the country. I wish Michael Howard very well. That said, this Labour Party have done quite a lot more of what we would have done than any previous Labour government. Blair has a long way to come to be purely Thatcherite.... I would not like to predict his place in history.
Does this mean that Bliar has Maggie's endorsement? Perhaps he should apply for Howard's job, somehow I think they would turn him down as being too right wing. My choice as successor to Michael Howard is Boris Johnson. How could the Conservatives lose with Boris as leader?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 15:50   #12
Resident Waffler

Michael Howard has announced he will stand down as Conservative leader - but not until the rules for choosing a successor are reformed.

Mr Howard said he had failed to deliver the election victory he wanted and it was in the interests of the country and the party to go.

However, as there was widespread dissatisfaction with the existing rules on choosing a leader, he urged the party to reconsider them.

Until then, he would remain in the post.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 15:50   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
what are you taking tealeaf ?lol
I suggest you read something like the FT or the financial sections of our more serious newspapers, or failing that listen to the business report on Radio 4 at 6 each morning. All the signs are there - manufacturing inventories being run down, quarterly manufacturing output down, like-for-like retail sales down, housing market slowdown, repocessions already up, large job losses being announced (Rover, IBM, Marconi), small company business failures rapidly rising. Meanwhile, zero or little growth in the western part of the EU, output growth slowing rapidly in the US....

A recession is on its way- have no doubt about it.
Old 06-05-2005, 16:17   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

come on mate rover closed down cos people had stopped buying the crappy outdated cars they produced,the job losses are tragic,but it wouldn't have mattered a jot who was in power,i think these days things are on a downturn mainly due to the technilogical deveopments that are becoming mainstream,just like 100 years ago when the automatic looms were brought in.the computor age is marvellous in some respects,but theres always a downside.
Old 06-05-2005, 16:56   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
,but theres always a downside.
Exactly. All capitalist economies work in cycles of boom and downside. The problem is that Brown has claimed 50 quarters of continuous economic growth, the longest ever sustained period in UK history. His memory is somewhat faulty, however, because the first 5 years of this boom were, under conservative rule (1992-1997).

After all this time of sustained growth, Brown has to borrow the equivalent of 3.5% of GNP in order to meet the difference between tax revenue and spending, because government spending which was 34% of GNP in 1997 is now almost 40% of GNP; in other words, government spending has grown far faster than the ability of the taxpayer to pay for it.

Where is all this additional spending going? Well, its not on new hospitals and schools because most of those are PPP and off the balance sheet; to some extent its going on additional police, teachers, nurses, etc but for the most part its going on extra bureaucrats (600,000 at the last count). You have a guess at how many of these are graduates in lesbian and media studies and otherwise unemployable. If they were on the rock & roll on seventy quid a week, it would'nt be too bad; but they're not, they're pi**ing it away on 30 or 40K a year plus all the pension liability stack-up

So we're paying for this lot now by borrowing. What is going to happen when a recession starts and tax revenue falls...More borrowing? You can rule that one out straightaway, because we're already on our limit. Public sector lay-offs? Unlikely - that won't happen (not amongst bureaucrats, anyway). The only answer is a hitch in the tax rates. What happens then? Less investment and less growth and we again end up the crap hole of Europe as we were back in 1979.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 06-05-2005 at 16:59.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..