Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 15:10   #1
God Member

Exclamation Middle Lane Hoggers - Blasted!

This is the cause of many accidents on the motorway.
What do you think?

Motorway Middle Lane Hoggers Blasted (from Lancashire Telegraph)

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2007, 15:18   #2
God Member

Re: Middle Lane Hoggers - Blasted!

I get very scared on the motorway,this is just as a passenger,I won't actually drive on the motorway myself.If I was to contemplate it I would have to have some specific motorway lessons first.I don't think people should be given a driving license without having had motorway lessons.So many people just haven't got a clue and accidents and deaths happen every day because of people who just don't know what they're supposed to be doing.Middle lane hoggers,people who change lanes without checking to see if there's a car already at the side of them and without indicating!!! We had a couple of these instances coming back from holiday and were so close to being crashed into.They frightened me so much I nearly wet myself.They are a menace.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 15:20   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

it can be a damn pain, but the biggest pain to me is caused by HGV drivers overtaking in the middle lane n not able to go fast enough for the oncoming traffic behind, that to me causes far more danger n stress etc.
Old 02-08-2007, 15:33   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
it can be a damn pain, but the biggest pain to me is caused by HGV drivers overtaking in the middle lane n not able to go fast enough for the oncoming traffic behind, that to me causes far more danger n stress etc.
That can't be avoided unfortunately - I have seen many instances where HGV's have been slowed down by these middle lane hoggers and the HGV unlike smaller vehicle can't accelerate away and can't move to the outside lane or overtake on the inside.
It's a no win situation. - I would suggest that the hoggers get an automatic 6 points on their licences

Old 02-08-2007, 15:34   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

Middle Lane Hogs drive me mad (literally). So do the berks who go straight to the outside lane and sit there tailgating your backside if you have the temerity to use it, while overtaking Middle Lane Hog, and making them drop their speed below 90 m.p.h.

I first started driving on motorways when the M6 went from Preston to North of Wolverhampton - and no further. The drill was, you drove in the left hand lane and the other lanes were for overtaking. That hasn't changed. If people used motorways properly, driving in the left lane without beetling along at 60 or tearing along at 90, they would be a damned sight safer.
Old 02-08-2007, 15:37   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
That can't be avoided unfortunately - I have seen many instances where HGV's have been slowed down by these middle lane hoggers and the HGV unlike smaller vehicle can't accelerate away and can't move to the outside lane or overtake on the inside.
It's a no win situation. - I would suggest that the hoggers get an automatic 6 points on their licences
i can go with that no prob,but think HGVs should be restricted to the inside lane only.
Old 02-08-2007, 15:41   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i can go with that no prob,but think HGVs should be restricted to the inside lane only.
That would bring the transport industry to a standstill and I don't think the railways could cope.
I am of the opinion that if everyone does as they are supposed to do the traffic would run smoothly
(Not in my time)

Old 02-08-2007, 15:43   #8
God Member

As well as a maximum speed on the motorway, I think there should be a minimum one as well. Sometimes you see these people pottering along and they're holding everything up.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 15:43   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
That would bring the transport industry to a standstill and I don't think the railways could cope.
I am of the opinion that if everyone does as they are supposed to do the traffic would run smoothly
(Not in my time)
blame DR Beeching for the railways not being able to cope, (I DO)
Old 02-08-2007, 15:59   #10
God Member

Middle lane hoggers are a pain in the bum, as are those who think the entry slip road to the motorway is a right of way and everyone should stop to let them in.
Old 02-08-2007, 16:07   #11
Passed away 25-11-09

My son is an HGV driver and drives all over Britain. His journeys are worked out, in terms of driving time, so he can get to his destination on schedule. Being restricted to the inside lane could, sometimes, double the length of the journey time. Bearing in mind that he could be travelling to Aberdeen or Penzance or anywhere in between, the cost of freighting would inevitably rise, followed by a rise in the retail price of the goods he's transporting.

The HGV gets into the middle lane and can't accelerate enough to overtake? Could that be because the person he's trying to overtake has started to go a bit faster? I've seen that happen so many times.
Old 02-08-2007, 16:31   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Middle Lane Hoggers - Blasted!

Middle Lane Hoggers - Blasted!
And so they should be. Read and obey the Highway Code.

The Motorway rules of the road are fine as they are. Where it goes wrong is with the motorist who thinks the rules apply to everyone except themselves and they think that they are the greatest drivers that ever lived.

People complain about relatively slow moving HGV’s and taking a couple of miles in the middle lane to overtake another one. Tough! They have as much right to be on the road as the flash impatient drivers.

A thought. If the EuroStar can take HGV’s over to France and Belgium and bring them back why can’t a similar system move HGV’s from major town/city to major town/city in the UK? Now that WOULD empty the motorways. Too simple I guess. But imagine the saving in diesel – a massive reduction in atmospheric pollution. No more tired drivers.

Sorry Gayle but you couldn’t have a minimum speed. If you did everyone could be booked when the traffic slowed to a crawl, which it does quite often these days. Then again what about when conditions are so bad that to go above say 50 mph would be suicidal. You would end up with a mass of ‘if’ rules.

People still blame Dr Beeching for the state of the railways today but all he did was close down unprofitable branch and secondary lines. The real problem was government underfunding and restrictive practices by the various unions and intransigence of management.
Old 02-08-2007, 16:47   #13
God Member

Dr Beeching was a director of a large road haulage firm, closed more lines than needed to be closed, and should never have been given the job due to his profit led interests in their closure.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 16:49   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

A thought. If the EuroStar can take HGV’s over to France and Belgium and bring them back why can’t a similar system move HGV’s from major town/city to major town/city in the UK? Now that WOULD empty the motorways. Too simple I guess. But imagine the saving in diesel – a massive reduction in atmospheric pollution. No more tired drivers..
Railway bridges in the UK are not high enough, it would cost a fortune to rectify.

Old 02-08-2007, 17:06   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Middle Lane Hoggers - Blasted!

Quote:
Railway bridges in the UK are not high enough, it would cost a fortune to rectify.
If some of the bridges are not high enough then lower the rail track.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..