Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2007, 22:03   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Migration At A New High

i swaped places with my mum (she is english) she moved to spain and i moved to england, i didnt like ibiza anymore, fed up with the heat and the people out there, load of customers asked me why have i left such a beautiful sunny place to move to england, well my answer always is "im trying to find out" , i like england dont asked me why
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2007, 22:24   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, Eric.....maybe I led a sheltered life. I do remember the sixties.....I was there, but never ever under the influence of anything stronger than orange juice....I suppose that makes me a sad old thing!
No hon, life is better not filtered thro' altered states ... except on occasion, like tonight with a repeat of Arturo Gatti fighting Irish Mickey Ward on Classic Fights .... And what brand of orange juice is it that gets you under the influence? Does one have to add vodka
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 22:38   #33
God Member

The problem with migration is that the migrants tend to be resented by the residents. Voters tend to want their govts. to put limits on it. In Canada, this is a very complex issue. We have more than one govt. in the sense that the Provinces and the larger cities have a great deal of autonomy. I think I have mentioned before that La Belle Province is becoming very picky about who it lets in, and the Albertans are taking people on limited work contracts rather than on permenant Landed Immigrant status. Our major cities, particularly TO, Montreal, and Vancouver (read about the taser happy RCMP) are cosmopolitan enough, but they are beginning to question a liberal immigration policy. The majority of immigrants end up in these three cities. Many Canadians would be happy if the signs went up at the border: "F*** Off, Canada is full" And this even tho' we rank 229th in the world in population density. And migrants looking for greener grass may not find what they are looking for. Fitting into a foreign country is not all that simple. And whatever it may seem like, Canada, and I have no doubt the same applies to Australia, is a foreign country. We have strong ties with England but we are not England, and some who come over miss the old country so much that they go home. I was lucky to start off in Saskatchewan. That put me into such a culture shock, that by the time I came out of it I was almost Canadian, and 100% Stubble Jumper and Roughrider fan.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..