Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2007, 13:27   #1
God Member

Migration At A New High

Results released for people moving abroad last year;

The number of people leaving rose to 400,000 from 359,000 in 2006 -- the highest since comparable records began in 1991.

WONDER WHY ?
Old 15-11-2007, 14:48   #2
God Member

Re: Migration At A New High

Our high property prices means people can sell up, retire early, buy cheap property abroad, bank the money left over to subsidise casual/part-time work, and live in a better climate in a less overcrowded location.

They have been shown how by tv programmes about it.
I think it is maily southerners who are doing it, because there are more houses down there that will realise a quarter million or more.
Probably some have wished they hadn't, but can't come back because they would stand no chance of buying a house if they did and good property to rent is as rare as rocking horse s**t.

So the housing shortage is to blame (causing price rises)

Last edited by MargaretR; 15-11-2007 at 14:51.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 14:49   #3
Resident Waffler

Oh I dunno.I fancy a warmer climate too but not sure I'd want to up sticks permanently. Six months in Tunisia and six months here would do me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 15:44   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Nothing to do with the society we live in then ?
Old 15-11-2007, 15:53   #5
Give, give, give member

I don't know.

I'll ask my friends in a little over a week, why they moved...as we sit by their pool in the sunshine.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 15:55   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Nothing to do with the society we live in then ?
The housing shortage causes many of society's problems
(Rats packed in a box kill each other)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 16:04   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Our high property prices means people can sell up, retire early, buy cheap property abroad, bank the money left over to subsidise casual/part-time work, and live in a better climate in a less overcrowded location.

They have been shown how by tv programmes about it.
I think it is maily southerners who are doing it, because there are more houses down there that will realise a quarter million or more.
Probably some have wished they hadn't, but can't come back because they would stand no chance of buying a house if they did and good property to rent is as rare as rocking horse s**t.

Good point about being priced out of the housing market, if they want to move back.

Even though expats think they are covered by the Spanish National Health Service, because we are all in the EEC, this is not the case, if they haven't filled in the right forms.

Costa expats are swamping our health service, protests Spain - Times Online

This country will be swamped if the Spanish get fed up of all our retired folks there, and ship 'em back.

Old 15-11-2007, 16:09   #8
God Member

My sister has lied to me. She told me she was emigrating because she didn't like what this country has become and will be like in the future. I didn't realise what she really meant is that she hasn't got enough room in her 4 bedroomed semi
Old 15-11-2007, 16:10   #9
Give, give, give member

Another interesting article, relating to the cost of keeping our silver travellers in the sun.

Don't take the Spanish authorities for a ride - Telegraph

Old 15-11-2007, 16:13   #10
Give, give, give member

Would I move abroad?

No, not now I have Parkinson's.

I did always plan to retire to Brittany, and spend my dotage painting, and working in my friend's bar, but I'd much rather stay in the UK now.

Besides, I don't think my friend could afford all the breakages.

Old 15-11-2007, 16:44   #11
God Member

The world is a much smaller and more cosmopolitan than it used to be. And perhaps what binds someone to a particular country is not as strong. Perhaps, with the EU moving somewhere else to live is easier. There are probably as many reasons for moving as there are people who move. I sometimes think about what it would be like if I had stayed in England, but I never regret my move. I have lived twice as long in Canada as I did in England, and I believe I am too much of a Canadian to ever be a succesful Englishman again. Maybe an homogenized world will be a better, more peaceful place ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 22:46   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Results released for people moving abroad last year;

The number of people leaving rose to 400,000 from 359,000 in 2006 -- the highest since comparable records began in 1991.

WONDER WHY ?
Inflation and the fact that people tend to go for warmer climates. Cant blame them really.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 23:47   #13
Give, give, give member

I remember back in 1997, whilst we still had a Conservative government, that Paul Daniels publicly said that he would emigrate if New Labour won the election.

We're still waiting.

Seriously, rather than the mass exodus of wealth, that some forecast pre 1997, the country is awash with the rich, and super rich immigrants.

Old 15-11-2007, 23:56   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I remember back in 1997, whilst we still had a Conservative government, that Paul Daniels publicly said that he would emigrate if New Labour won the election.

We're still waiting.

Seriously, rather than the mass exodus of wealth, that some forecast pre 1997, the country is awash with the rich, and super rich immigrants.
Off topic but...

Paul Daniels did wife swap (if your talking about the magician) and he lives in the ost quiet and secluded place ever anyway. Poor man swapped his wife for 2 weeks or whatever the length was for Vanessa Feltz (is that her surname? that huge woman with the fake blonde hair). I want to live like Paul Daniels, just sitting in silence and reading my newspaper and feeding the ducks all day. He didnt even have a telly!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 07:09   #15
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. When you read forums such as British Expats.com you will find that most of the moves have nothing to do with British House prices. The most popular places for British movers are Australia and New Zealand (I have lost about 10 of my colleagues to those places in the last 3 years).

People on these forums are generally peeved about - The crime rate, overcrowding, abuse of the benefits and health care systems, the weather etc. Many young British families want to live and work where they can support themselves without being taxed to the hilt to support immigrants and those who won't work, they have no problem supporting those who can't work. Many of them are happy to pay for their own health care without having to pay for the healthcare of illegal immigrants, health tourists etc.

I have to say that I totally see why they move and if Sparks would come with me I'd be off Down Under like a shot...

The wages aren't as good as here and the house prices are very high in comparison to the wages but the outdoor lifestyle, less overcrowding and generally laid back attitude more than makes up for this.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..