Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 01:09   #1
God Member

Miners Strike

It's the 25th anniversary of the miners strike... a strike that was in my personnal veiw a battle against the then Tory government of Thatcher and the working man...the then government proposed to import coal and close most of the mining in the UK..I reckon it was not an econimic dispute more of a Tory determination to crush communities and revenge for the strike in 73.!

Last edited by Mancie; 06-03-2009 at 01:12.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2009, 01:28   #2
God Member

Re: Miners Strike

liek a man said on an interview looking back on the strike , you wouldnt think the police and govenment were that of the UK but more of a govenment running zimbabwi

edit:

after all her efforts destroying the mining comunities theres actuallytalk of them reopening some pits

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 17:55   #3

i remember watching the strikers on the news, it was disgusting then, and the thought of it still makes my blood boil. all them folks put out of work cos the iron lady didnt/wouldnt do a U turn on any of her policies. i danced the day she left Downing St
jooles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 18:41   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

all my life i was just a labour voter, when that occured i came to despise everything the conservatives are n still do.
Old 06-03-2009, 19:01   #5
Senior Member+

Remember the miners strike in 1984 very well. The Labour Party in Hyndburn were involved in a lot of fund raising in support of the Lancashire miners.

The miners were not only fighting to save their pits, but also their communities.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 19:05   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooles View Post
i remember watching the strikers on the news, it was disgusting then, and the thought of it still makes my blood boil. all them folks put out of work cos the iron lady didnt/wouldnt do a U turn on any of her policies. i danced the day she left Downing St
And for this she deserves a state funeral ... I don't be thinking so
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 19:18   #7
God Member

On second thoughts, a state funeral might be a good idea ... tomorrow sounds good.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 19:23   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

The miners were secondary and Scargill caused the hardship and sold the miners down the river,the strike became a Scargill and Maggie showdown and whilst the miners went through hardship Scargill went home every night to a warm house and hot meal.
The miners were betrayed by the very man who claimed to support their cause.
Old 06-03-2009, 19:30   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats exactly how dumb some people are,Scargill was completely proved correct,in his pit closures, in fact he well underestimated the number, ok he handled it badly, by making it a Scargill V Thatcher battle, but some will always be too thick to see it.
Old 06-03-2009, 20:12   #10
God Member

The main problem was that Scargill had become too powerfull, he punished the l=previous labour government for thier inability to deal with him, maggie, much as I despise the woman, had to do something to slow him down, instead, she stopped him completely, the way she did it (reports of men being beaten into submission inthier own homes, in front of thier wives and children), was despicable, and was the start, (along woth many other 'maggie' introductions, of the ruination of this country, when labour came back into power, they should have overturned some of the changes, they didnt, and the country has gone downhill ever since, now, it is too late to change many things that should have been changed immediately labour came into power, radical changes are needed, but neither of the big two have the bottle, and the pc brigade would never allow any other party who dare to make the changes in.
Old 06-03-2009, 20:21   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats exactly how dumb some people are,Scargill was completely proved correct,in his pit closures, in fact he well underestimated the number, ok he handled it badly, by making it a Scargill V Thatcher battle, but some will always be too thick to see it.
Magie brought the miners down, agreed.
It was a good politician against a bigot and he let a lot his supporters fry in the juice that he created.
How long can a failing industry be subsidised by a government who has to protect taxpayers money?
As to the subject of protecting taxpayers money....look at the present government....gold reserves gone...pensions gone...sterling almost gone.
The Banking industry has failed because of lack of government protection for the saver and borrower alike.
I think the current prime minister has more to answer for than all the prime ministers of the past including Thatcher and Wilson.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 20:21   #12
God Member

thatcher did a good job of turning the public against the miners and scargill, she sent the police in heavy handed and had them break into peoples homes and beat innocent people infront of their children

thatcher wasnt sending the police to take on an army or a mob of angry football hooligans , she sent the police in heavy handed against innocent people using their democratic right to protest , it only turned violent when the poor sods were left with no option but to defend themselves

she couldnt break the miners spirit so she broke their bones

saying that about thatcher our late tony blair made it an act of terror to protest so between the two of them i dont know who desicrated our freedom more

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 06-03-2009 at 20:24.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 20:28   #13
God Member

thatcher used the police as her henchmen,nothing short of a facist dictatorship..saddam hussain would have been proud ..ohh i forgot her son helped to sell weapons to him..mmmmm lost in the sahara
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 20:40   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
thatcher used the police as her henchmen,nothing short of a facist dictatorship..saddam hussain would have been proud ..ohh i forgot her son helped to sell weapons to him..mmmmm lost in the sahara
If you were called out to a violent mob, half of which wear'nt miners anyway,,,who would you call....Ghostbusters? or ring 999.
What has Mark Thatcher to do with the miners strike? cheap shot.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 21:02   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
The miners were not only fighting to save their pits, but also their communities.
So why has the present Labour Government not reopened them? They have been in power long enough to undo all Thatchers evil mistakes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..