Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2009, 06:23   #1

Thanks You!!

Hiya Folks.

As a lot of you will know, myself and Cherokee work with Support Our Soliders and many of you kindly donated items for welfare boxes over Christmas. Just wanted to share one of letters of thanks I have received from one of the CO's over there which has just been recieved:

'I am writing on behalf of ***** Troop who were the lucky recepients of your welfare boxes you put together for Christmas. Due to the backlogs and delays in the postal service to our location, we only just received it yesterday, but that doesnt make us any less grateful for your kindness and generosity, Thank you.

I have insisted that all of my boys write back to those who put the boxes togetehr and I certainly dont exclude myself from that duty. We have all felt so very lucky to have receievd these welfare boxes, as well as feeling humbled by the generosity of complete strangers we are unlikely to ever meet. For many of the boys these have been the first letters they have ever written, and the surprise and wonder on their faces when they have received a response has been a priviledge to watch. It has been a wonderful experience for them all.

We are now over half way through our operational tour. We still have a lot of work to do before we can return to the UK but it is only natural that the excitment is beginning to build. For one of our number, who became a proud and new father during out tour, the end cannot come quickly enough. For the most part though, we have done a good job, or at least feel we have, and the support from people such as yourselves has been a vital part of our success. For the boys to know that the public is behind them is a huge boost to their morale and makes the hard times out here so much more bearable for them.

Please dont feel that you have to send anymore parcels specifically to us; there are many other deserving receipients out here if you are still in the mind to send any more out here. We are just very grateful to have received these ones.

We all hope that all is well with you and your family. We have heard about the cold weather, as well as the troubled economy.

Once again, I thank you very much for your efforts.

Yours sincerely.......

I know these fellas are currently in a very hot area, yesterday having gone through a 3 hour firefight (just like Ross Kemp apparently!!!), and fighting daily. They are on 24hr ration packs, but when talking to them (well writing!), they are just in awe of the support that they have received, so many thanks to you all. We are still sending stuff over there if anyone would like to get involved again, I've got to admit, I'm becoming quite attached to 'my lads' out there!!!

Thanks again to everyone that has helped and I hope that this letter shows what a difference you have made to them xx
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2009, 06:39   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Thanks You!!

Well done to you both, you must feel very proud to be able to help out our hard working troops over there. It must feel good knowing you are making a difference by reminding them people back home are thinking about them.
Old 28-02-2009, 21:20   #3

Hi, can I PM you about getting some parcels together please? My mum wanted to send some out at Christmas and contacted various organisations that didn't get back to her.
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 21:31   #4
God Member

That is a hell of a gesture from you both...I know from experience that a letter from home or a lump of home made cake can cheer you up no end.
Tell me when you are getting the next parcels together by PM or forum and I will be glad to contribute........Roy

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 21:50   #5

Hiya

Thanks for this. I am in the process of getting some more out at the moment, so give me a shout whenever ur ready!

And thanks again x
Old 01-03-2009, 00:12   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Well done to you both, you must feel very proud to be able to help out our hard working troops over there. It must feel good knowing you are making a difference by reminding them people back home are thinking about them.

It does feel good Neil knowing that we can offer them just a small piece of home esp at xmas when they are away from family and friends.

My own lad has done 3 tours now and all three have kept him away at xmas and new year and it really dosent get any easier knowing he wont be at the xmas table with us .

The last tour got me involved with SOS after he told me of a couple of lads having no one back home to send them anything. He shared every parcel whilst out there with all his mates. But most importantly of all none of this would be possible without the generosity and support of everyone who helps and donates. so thanks

Nic what a lovely letter, and its when you recieve those letters it makes it all worth while.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 00:55   #7
Give, give, give member

It's us that should be thanking you for your hard work, not the other way round, and not thanking us for any meagre contributions we were privileged enough to make.

Good to hear the lads and lasses know people are thinking about them, and for them to know we appreciate everything they are going through.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 20:28   #8

How do I send a PM? Sorry I'm flaming thick!
Old 01-03-2009, 20:39   #9
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Just left click on the name of the person you want to PM and an option box will appear.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 20:47   #10

Thankyou
Old 09-03-2009, 05:55   #11

Hiya All

I'm sending another batch of parcels this week, to a group of lads in the Patrol Base. They have no running water and are living on 24 hr ration packs for the next 6 weeks so if anyone wants anything sent over, please let me know asap and I'll include them in this batch ( no bubble bath tho please as I think that will really wind them up!!! lmao) Ive put extra smellys in this lot

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..