Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2011, 13:52   #16
God Member

Re: Missing person

I have to confess to being in a bit of a dilemma here. I can appreciate what MargaretR is saying and under most circumstances I would heartily agree with her. But on the other hand, I feel that this is an exceptional circumstance and one which goes directly to the heart of our system of governance and representation.

For a private person, say me or you Margaret, I see nothing wrong in withdrawing my participation from anything for whatever reason and declining to comment on the reasons for so doing. It is, rightly so, no one else's business but my own.

However, when one enters public life, particularly as a politician, whether local or national, certain obligations to openess about ones actions and activities become incumbent irrespective of the personal cost.

Thus the refusal of members of this board to offer an explanation of their actions concerning the Kashmiri Motion and their refusal to respond to all invitations to participate in discussion of this issue displays their contempt for the people they purport to represent. Moreover, as it appears that all of the councillors who are members of this forum have refused to participate, one suspects that there is some degree of collusion in this. It may even be the case that such action was deliberately sanctioned by the Labour group as a whole.

If such be the case then democracy, as we know and love it, flies out of the window and we are left with the sere dictat of the party. Our vote becomes meaningless.

This is what is happening increasingly within the EU and also within our own Parliament. It must be noted also that our MP similarly refuses to explain or debate his actions taken in our name.

This is an issue that should be of urgent concern to the entirity of the electorate.
Old 25-11-2011, 14:53   #17
God Member

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Attrib.: Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Old 25-11-2011, 18:00   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Why was this thread first closed, then deleted, then re-instated?

Played havoc with my karma.

Wondered why I missed it when I was on this morning
Old 25-11-2011, 18:06   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
He may well have many better things to do than try to explain himself to you, especially since many of you have already decided his reasons for his absence, which may or may not be correct.

I am not in the position of ever being browbeaten into explaining my actions or lack of them. (Neither should he be.)

If I ever was, I think I would just 'leave you hanging' too.
Well we may be or may not be correct, but the only way to find out is if he comes on and tells us, has as been said he was on here day after day after day in opposition but now considered there's no need to answer question on here a thing he rabbited on about mercilessly when answers aren't forthcoming from the ruling group prior to May
Old 25-11-2011, 18:27   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Wanting n answer about this Kashmiri thing thats been past is hardly browbeating by any stretch, to my mind its a major error n perfectly reasonable to want a response from any of em that post on here, but you see it your way MargaretR, yeh usually do.
Old 25-11-2011, 18:31   #21
Senior Member+

I'm surprised anyone is surprised!
As an opposition councillor with no real power Accyweb was an ideal launching pad for secondary attacks on the party in power. The natives on here,while not all friendly were at least not openly hostile, almost united in their hostility towards his enemy. Also he must have felt safe operating from here knowing the enemy wouldn't dare show up on here, never mind use it to attack him or his party.
Once his party took the power, he suddenly became accountable and the natives began to be more demanding. In the last two days he posted,21 times I believe, 14 of those posts appear to be fighting off hostiles. Be fair, what would you do if you were him- I'd make a strategic withdrawal as he appears to have done.
Don't be surprised, don't be sad! He's now a politician with power- a totally different animal.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 18:33   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Wanting n answer about this Kashmiri thing thats been past is hardly browbeating by any stretch, to my mind its a major error n perfectly reasonable to want a response from any of em that post on here, but you see it your way MargaretR, yeh usually do.
Perhaps if a conspiracy of silence is mooted she may join her voice with the others who await answers....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 18:41   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Perhaps if a conspiracy of silence is mooted she may join her voice with the others who await answers....
I see no conspiracy, silent or otherwise.

The people who are urging councillors to explain their actions, are the ones who still have faith in democracy, and don't like to see it abused.

Democracy is an illusion - it only provides Hobsons Choice - so I don't choose.

That is why councillors explanations, if ever forthcoming, will not solve anything.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 18:56   #24
God Member

Quote:

The people who are urging councillors to explain their actions, are the ones who still have faith in democracy, and don't like to see it abused.

That is why councillors explanations, if ever forthcoming, will not solve anything.
My comment was a quip M, am that way out this evening ...they are all a bunch of cowards when it comes to justifying some of the ridiculous things they ascribe too. Their explanations will only be an attempt to cover over the traces anyway....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 25-11-2011 at 19:05.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 19:10   #25
Give, give, give member

It amuses me.

Then again I never enjoyed being preached to.

Especially by uninspiring dogmatists.

We survived pre-May, with only two posts being made by the then controlling party.

If there's not another post made by any politican, I'm sure we'll manage to survive again.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 19:13   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It amuses me.

Then again I never enjoyed being preached to.

Especially by uninspiring dogmatists.

We survived pre-May, with only two posts being made by the then controlling party.

If there's not another post made by any politican, I'm sure we'll manage to survive again.

Oh i agree,still its funny how "Transparency" N "Accountability" seems to go out the window,when power raises its ugly head.
Old 25-11-2011, 19:19   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oh i agree,still its funny how "Transparency" N "Accountability" seems to go out the window,when power raises its ugly head.
I'm sure there's a quote waiting to be given, by someone saying that would never happen, if they were in a position of power, but I honestly can't be bothered to wade through a whole load of crap, to find it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 19:28   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

I have little faith in democracy, as anyone who knows me well enough will testify, but that does not mean i can't abhor a decision that supports atrocities, n say nothing at all about it. i aint heard you condemn it?
Old 25-11-2011, 19:40   #29
God Member

Quote:
I have little faith in democracy, as anyone who knows me well enough will testify, but that does not mean i can't abhor a decision that supports atrocities, n say nothing at all about it. i aint heard you condemn it?
I don't know enough about the Kashmiri situation to comment.
I don't neccessarily believe the reports coming from either side.
The only way to really know is be there

To seem to take sides is unwise - but if councillors were wise they wouldn't be councillors

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 19:46   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I don't know enough about the Kashmiri situation to comment.
I don't neccessarily believe the reports coming from either side.
The only way to really know is be there

To seem to take sides is unwise - but if councillors were wise they wouldn't be councillors
The fact "Both" sides commit em is beyond doubt to me, as to who is worst i wouldn't hazard a guess, if councillors support one side or the other personally,fine thats up to them, its when they support it in our name i get the hump. unwise is a polite way to put it, i say ruddy stupid.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..