Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2004, 20:53   #1

MMR jabs?

Currently doing research on this as the brat is coming up to the time when he is supposed to have his first MMR and I'm still stuck in the middle of deciding whether to let him have it, or to have it done separatley, or not at all.
I'm dubious about the MMR as I have seen a child first hand become autistic after having the MMR jab. However single jabs are going to cost around £300 a time . And then theres another part of me that remembers kids getting measles, mumps and rubella and coming through it ok when I was at school in the early 80's.
Any input welcomed.
Old 18-11-2004, 21:08   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: MMR jabs?

After just watching a TV program on this very subject I'm now left doubting that there is any connection at all between autism and the MMR jab. My girls both had the combined vaccination and are fine.

I remember having measles and rubella when I was a child too. (not sure about mumps) But I think the real danger is if a child with rubella comes into contact with a pregnant woman. The child could have rubella without even being aware at that point but can still pass it on and the unborn child can then be seriously affected.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 06:20   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The problem with measles these days is that everyone seems to have forgotten that this disease is fatal. Some children who survive measles are left with permanent brain damage. Boys who contract mumps can develop Orchitis and be left permanently infertile.
Measles is far more than just a rash. We have had very small numbers of measles cases since vaccinations became available and widely used. This is now causing problems, as due to the controversy over MMR people haven't been having their children vaccinated and the measles numbers are now rising. The vast majority of our doctors have trained while measles was rare due to vaccines. That has created the problem that a lot of GP's and hospital doctors have never seen measles and don't know how to diagnose and treat it. That would therefore potentially delay a childs treatment for the disease.
The original research on MMR and Autism is very heavily flawed to the point that 8 of the 12 doctors who were involved in this research have distanced themselves from it. The new research totally blow the original theory out of the water. It was published recently in the lancet (so you may be able to access it online)
All the kids in my family have had MMR and are fine. Your Health Visitor will be able to give you more details, but you will probably have to ask her. Whatever decision you make, please remember to have your child vaccinated one way or another. I have looked after people who have lost children to measles and they had no qualms about their subsequent children having MMR vaccine.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 21:06   #4

I don't really want to ask my health visitor too much. I don't feel that she would be able to give me a balanced viewpoint as she is going to be biased.

I'm looking round for the lancet though so thanks Lettie.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..