Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2013, 08:02   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: more county council waste of money - rant warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
well thats bound to work isnt it lol

i remember a similar tactic been used infact it still is where they put all sorts of horrible pictures on ciggarettes to put people off smoking.I recall taking a long deep drag on my ciggy as i looked atthe picture trying to figure out exactly what dissease they were showing

i have actually given up but not because of teh pictures but because it was becoming harder and harder to convince my youngest i had given up so rather than get caught in the act i stopped
That's the best reason I've heard for giving up smoking accyman, if only more parents would do that
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2013, 08:27   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
There are 20mph roads all round West End now and speed.bumps on Thwaites Rd. But how come Harvey St. Is used like a formula 1 track? There are no traffic calming measures in place though there have been several accidents over the last few years. I can hear cars screeching over there in the middle of the night as well as all day long. The police used,occasionally, to send mobile speed cameras but I haven't seen one for years.
Harvey Street should not be a 20mph limit. What it needs is for the Police to start enforcing the traffic laws.
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 17-05-2013, 08:27   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I'd have cobbles back over stupid speed humps any day

hey we could use it as a marketing tool by the council,

"The town that went back in time"

we could revert to gas lamps fueled by the stuff coming out of whinney hill and stop it stinking the local residents out as well, two birds with one stone

any more anyone?
We have cobbles in front of our house. I do think they look good but they can be very icy in winter.
Old 17-05-2013, 08:33   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
We have cobbles in front of our house. I do think they look good but they can be very icy in winter.
That's not on the road though Neil, is it, I could never understand why they put cobbles there really because, as you say, they become very slippery in winter
Old 17-05-2013, 08:34   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavtia View Post
Certain parts of Accrington have had 20 mph speed limits for years, makes no difference. I asked a guy from LCC how they planned to implement the 20mph speed limit, given where there are already such speed limits no enforcement ever happens. He said by pulling at people's heart strings using crash images. If that worked people wouldn't speed in these areas to start with.
Most of the old 20mph limits were in fact 20mph zones and were not enforceable. If its a 20mph limit there has to be regular repeater signs (I can't remember how far apart they have to be). In a 20mph zone there is one sign as you enter the zone and one as you leave it. In a zone there has to be other traffic calming methods in place so you can't drive faster than 20mph. Without these traffic calming methods the zones are not enforceable. Lots of information on the internet about 20mph speed limits and zones.

I think it is a major balls up. Nationally they should have reduced the limit to 20mph and put up 30mpg signs where you are allowed to do 30mph.

If you read the rules on speed limits it tells you if its single carriageway with street lamps its a 30mph limit unless signed otherwise. So if you're on a road with street lamps and drive at 30mph you're safe. That is no longer the case. You could be in a 20mph area but missed the repeater because a van was parked next to it.
Old 17-05-2013, 08:46   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Any rules are a waste of time, if they aint enforced, simple as.
Old 17-05-2013, 09:52   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Any rules are a waste of time, if they aint enforced, simple as.
I can never understand why they put No Ball Games signs up either, they ain't enforceable
Old 17-05-2013, 10:21   #23
God Member

Quote:
Harvey Street should not be a 20mph limit. What it needs is for the Police to start enforcing the traffic laws.
whatit needs is a traffic cop not a traffic warden

traffic cops can give points as well as fines a traffic warden cant

dish a few points out and word will get round and folk will stop endangering not only other drivers but the people using the playing fields
westendlass likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 10:27   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can never understand why they put No Ball Games signs up either, they ain't enforceable
No, but it gives the kids something to aim for thus improving their game.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 10:37   #25
God Member

Quote:
In a zone there has to be other traffic calming methods in place so you can't drive faster than 20mph. Without these traffic calming methods the zones are not enforceable. Lots of information on the internet about 20mph speed limits and zones.

it should also be law that traffic calming methods dont cause dammage to a car.Its a bloody joke how high or steep some speed bumps are giving your car an almighty thump even at 20mph no doubt damaging your wheel or bearings.If a speed limit is 30mph a car should be able to go over a speed bump at 30 and not feel it or at least not be a danger to your cars health so to speak

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 17-05-2013, 10:37   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
i think its to discourage dogging

Old 17-05-2013, 13:52   #27

you want to see what they've done to dill hall lane .... 20mph speed signs erected going into the cul-de-sac , a 30ft stretch of road going into St Nicholas's , a bit of waste land next to the old post office and more waste land further up on left .... absolute joke!
Old 17-05-2013, 13:54   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i think its to discourage dogging
You would have died laughing if you had been at Entwistle Reservoir the other Saturday evening. There was about 12 of us still on the car park waiting for a few friends to come back from the res. One of our group of friends had lost a dog at 1pm and we had been looking for her since then. About 10pm there was a lot of traffic and some strange things going on

Funniest night out I have had for years that didn't include beer
Old 17-05-2013, 13:56   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 View Post
you want to see what they've done to dill hall lane .... 20mph speed signs erected going into the cul-de-sac , a 30ft stretch of road going into St Nicholas's , a bit of waste land next to the old post office and more waste land further up on left .... absolute joke!
I don't know why you get worked up about it. It the County Council, they do stupid things so just accept it.

To makes matters worse you can't blame the Councillors because where to put up the signs will have been decided by Council Officers not Councillors.
Old 17-05-2013, 17:20   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You would have died laughing if you had been at Entwistle Reservoir the other Saturday evening. There was about 12 of us still on the car park waiting for a few friends to come back from the res. One of our group of friends had lost a dog at 1pm and we had been looking for her since then. About 10pm there was a lot of traffic and some strange things going on

Funniest night out I have had for years that didn't include beer
You mean the ducks were all wearing new willies Neil

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..