Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2013, 12:50   #1
God Member

more county council waste of money - rant warning

I live up bash as most know, for some reason they have decided that despite no accidents I can think of in the 14 years I've been up here never mind the speed of the car at the time they are making all streets off Manchester road 20 mph zones and fitting signs on every single junction including streets that are about 60 foot long that go nowhere like ley street

Link to google street view of ley street,

Rock Street, Accrington - Google Maps

yet, if you happen to be a tad early or late with your child to/from school the lollipop lady isn't out you have to try and get across one of the busiest roads in accy without any official crossing at all.

To all county Councillors, if you genuinely care for safety of our kids, stop wasting money when its not needed and put it towards a zebra/pelican crossing outside the pub/chemist where it would be used to good value

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by entwisi; 16-05-2013 at 12:54.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2013, 13:40   #2
God Member

Re: more county council waste of money - rant warning

They are putting them everywhere. Got ours (in the remote fringe of Ossy) several months ago. They started near schools first .

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...peed_restricti

"Lancashire County Council is committed to introducing 20mph speed limits
in all main residential areas and outside schools by the end of 2013. The
majority of commuter routes will be largely unaffected to keep traffic
moving; however in cases where pedestrian activity takes precedence over
the through movement of motor vehicles (such as near shops and
playgrounds) these will also be included.

Reducing speeds to 20mph will have a direct impact on pedestrian safety
and is one of the principal reasons for introducing the programme across
the county. Schemes are being developed and implemented on an area wide
basis to give a consistent message to all road users that travelling at
20mph is fast enough for main residential areas and outside schools.

The 20mph speed limit programme was approved by County Councillor Tim
Ashton, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport, and details of this can
be found at"....

Last edited by MargaretR; 16-05-2013 at 13:45.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:46   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

more county council waste of money - rant warning

It really gives you the hump doesn't it?
Why not take all the Tarmac away and give us the solid foundation of cobbled streets again? They are still under there, no-one drives fast on cobbubbubblles, sorry was typing as I drive, hit a cobbled patch.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:56   #4
Senior Member+

They are putting signs on short alleyways where you cant get a vehicle up to 20mph .They need to live in the real world
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:58   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
They are putting signs on short alleyways where you cant get a vehicle up to 20mph .They need to live in the real world
Totally typical of the knobheads that make decisions at L.C.C.
Old 16-05-2013, 14:04   #6
God Member

Surely it's the County Councils job to waste twice as much money as the local council, otherwise there would be no point having a bigger level of bureaucracy
Old 16-05-2013, 14:20   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It really gives you the hump doesn't it?
Why not take all the Tarmac away and give us the solid foundation of cobbled streets again? They are still under there, no-one drives fast on cobbubbubblles, sorry was typing as I drive, hit a cobbled patch.

I'd have cobbles back over stupid speed humps any day

hey we could use it as a marketing tool by the council,

"The town that went back in time"

we could revert to gas lamps fueled by the stuff coming out of whinney hill and stop it stinking the local residents out as well, two birds with one stone

any more anyone?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 14:37   #8
God Member

they have even put 20mph signs on streets that dont have houses and are only a few meters long

what a bloody joke it is when in such hard times this pathetic waste of money probbably costing millions is wasted while other services get stripped away
Boeing Guy likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 14:46   #9
Senior Member+

Was on my hols last week and saw this sign everywhere, think it means stop, made me smile though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dur.jpg (55.0 KB, 26 views)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 17:12   #10
Full Member+

There are 20mph roads all round West End now and speed.bumps on Thwaites Rd. But how come Harvey St. Is used like a formula 1 track? There are no traffic calming measures in place though there have been several accidents over the last few years. I can hear cars screeching over there in the middle of the night as well as all day long. The police used,occasionally, to send mobile speed cameras but I haven't seen one for years.
Old 16-05-2013, 17:24   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
There are 20mph roads all round West End now and speed.bumps on Thwaites Rd. But how come Harvey St. Is used like a formula 1 track? There are no traffic calming measures in place though there have been several accidents over the last few years. I can hear cars screeching over there in the middle of the night as well as all day long. The police used,occasionally, to send mobile speed cameras but I haven't seen one for years.
what makes that road even more dangerous are the arseholes thattake their kids to football practice and double park on the brow so you have just enough room for one car to get through but no idea if anything is coming the other way head on

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 16-05-2013, 17:28   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Surely it's the County Councils job to waste twice as much money as the local council, otherwise there would be no point having a bigger level of bureaucracy
Well they do spend (sorry waste) around 80% of your council tax Dave what do you expect
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 17:44   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
what makes that road even more dangerous are the arseholes thattake their kids to football practice and double park on the brow so you have just enough room for one car to get through but no idea if anything is coming the other way head on
These athletic footballers don't walk do they?

At Heys field football pitch site -
some match days their cars have filled the 'residents only' car park, the allotment car park, the kerb side, and then even parked on the grass verge - because the 30 parking spaces provided on site are inadequate.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 23:42   #14

Certain parts of Accrington have had 20 mph speed limits for years, makes no difference. I asked a guy from LCC how they planned to implement the 20mph speed limit, given where there are already such speed limits no enforcement ever happens. He said by pulling at people's heart strings using crash images. If that worked people wouldn't speed in these areas to start with.
Less likes this.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 00:58   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavtia View Post
Certain parts of Accrington have had 20 mph speed limits for years, makes no difference. I asked a guy from LCC how they planned to implement the 20mph speed limit, given where there are already such speed limits no enforcement ever happens. He said by pulling at people's heart strings using crash images. If that worked people wouldn't speed in these areas to start with.
well thats bound to work isnt it lol

i remember a similar tactic been used infact it still is where they put all sorts of horrible pictures on ciggarettes to put people off smoking.I recall taking a long deep drag on my ciggy as i looked atthe picture trying to figure out exactly what dissease they were showing

i have actually given up but not because of teh pictures but because it was becoming harder and harder to convince my youngest i had given up so rather than get caught in the act i stopped

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..