Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2010, 01:08   #1
God Member

more openness needed for overseas charities

Was surprised tonight while watching an interview with a member of "Doctors without Borders", up to now I had allways thought these guys were the best for being there when help was needed as opposed to the ones where you can "buy a black baby for a month" . Bearing in mind the old adage "anyone who works for nowt is a thief" I allways thought these medics were using paid vacation and paid leave time to do their good works , not so...seems some of them are full time employees on a payroll ... ok I think no problem , no employer is going to give someone 3 or 4 months off regular work to do good works and if someone wants to take a gap year off from regular employment and do good stuff.. good on them ...... But , according to the interview I watched to-night the representative for 'Doctors without Borders' said that in many of the countries where they work many long term employees are required by the host country to pay local income taxes to the local Govt.
Understand that legit charities want to do good work but to me this is nothing more than blackmail by corrupt third world sleazeballs and needs looking into by doner Govts.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2010, 09:20   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: more openness needed for overseas charities

I have always had a problem with a lot of national charities, who seem to pay huge salaries together with top range cars, in some cases only a small percentage goes to the benefit of those in need. I was, for a time, involved with a national asthma charity and was amazed every year when I saw the balance sheet, unfortunately a lot of charities are like this
Old 26-01-2010, 10:17   #3
Resting in Peace

Was it a cat refuge charity that lost eleven million pounds in the Icelandic bank collapse?

Says it all to me,Charity starts and ends at home.

Almost.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really

Last edited by Benipete; 26-01-2010 at 10:21.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 10:30   #4
God Member

the top brass of oxfam drive around in bentleys and their ecxuse is that they have to look liek they are on the same level as other buisness men when they go to meetings etc

personaly if i had somone turning up with a begging cup and a bentley i woudl think they were doing just fine and give them nothing

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 10:53   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the top brass of oxfam drive around in bentleys and their ecxuse is that they have to look like they are on the same level as other buisness men when they go to meetings etc

personaly if i had somone turning up with a begging cup and a bentley i woudl think they were doing just fine and give them nothing
It was said at one time that only 19p in every pound given to Oxfam actually goes to the intended target, thats why I never give to oxfam
Old 26-01-2010, 11:49   #6
God Member

just think how much oxfams shareholder made out of eitheopia

i wish i had have had shares in oxfam when the fammine hit i bet they cream their pants when a disaster occurs

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 26-01-2010, 14:38   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well Nowt' new is there, there are scam's and there are legal scam's, we can all get a Charity registration Number like these folk mentioned earlier:-

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...oney-6514.html
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 17:32   #8
God Member

someone came to my door collecting for haiti today

i gave them a dustpan and brush which i thought woudl be more beneficial to them than money that they woudlnt actually see

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..