Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2010, 17:57   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Mosque at Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

If I stomped over to Iraq or Afghanistan and started demanding things like bacon and eggs as a minority right then I would not expect a very warm welcome and quite rightly so.
No Ken they'd throw you in jail, then deport you, double quick
Old 17-10-2010, 18:41   #32
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I stomped over to Iraq or Afghanistan
We already have stomped over to Iraq and Afghanistan. Your beloved Tony made sure of that when he was trotting meekly along behind good ole George.
Old 18-10-2010, 07:08   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddlebit View Post
Clearly, however, there are some on this site who would disagree, going by the comments here. Even from the moderators, for God's sake.
Something else about being English, we are allowed to have a sense of humour.

Please refrain from using God's name without respect.
Old 18-10-2010, 07:41   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I work with Muslims. Each one of them was horrified by 9/11. None of them wear the burqa (full length garment with head covering) or niqab (full face veil).

All of them see themselves as British.

Clearly, however, there are some on this site who would disagree, going by the comments here. Even from the moderators, for God's sake.

Have you ever wondered if sometimes the way we treat others makes them behave in a particular way and that this is what causes the "problem"?

Didn't think so.
'Think tank finds evidence of moderate Muslims being radicalised and Jewish students intimidated.'

Read more: University urged to take action against Islamic extremists | Mail Online

Perhaps it's time the moderates became a little more vocal, and started condemning those who seek to destroy our democracy.

(Although this seems a typical Mail story, I read Quilliam's report in the Sunday Times, but you can't now link that paper's web site.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 08:13   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps it's time the moderates became a little more vocal, and started condemning those who seek to destroy our democracy.
I think that's the problem, although the moderates seem to go through the motions of decrying extremism in Islam, its only lip service and actually stands for nothing
Old 18-10-2010, 09:14   #36
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Have you ever wondered if sometimes the way we treat others makes them behave in a particular way and that this is what causes the "problem"
Just to add to one of your earlier points Hiddle, I've just read this, wondered how you feel about it ? I mean, how about the way they treat their own ? Makes you ponder doesn't it ?

UAE rules wife 'discipline' cannot leave marks - Middle East, World - The Independent
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 09:32   #37
Give, give, give member

A man with close links to Islamic fundamentalism and the backing of prominent racists could this week be elected as the executive mayor of a council, with almost total control over its £1 billion budget.

PICS AND PUBLISH Tower Hamlets extremist vote poses Ed's first big election test - Telegraph

I think we'd be pretty stupid to ignore religious fundamentalists, who are openly sexist, homophobic, racist, and intolerant of other faiths. Especially ones who take advantage of our country's liberalism, and welfare state, but whose stated intention is to see Sharia law replace British laws.

Old 19-10-2010, 06:31   #38
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
We already have stomped over to Iraq and Afghanistan. Your beloved Tony made sure of that when he was trotting meekly along behind good ole George.
You're assuming that I agree with everything that Tony Blair did. Bad move.

He was doing reasonably well until getting into bed with Dubya, after which the country seemed to lose faith in him....

I'm in the 'against' camp as far as the Iraq war is concerned and even the Russians couldn't control Afghanistan, which should have been a hint.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 07:53   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
You're assuming that I agree with everything that Tony Blair did. Bad move.

He was doing reasonably well until getting into bed with Dubya, after which the country seemed to lose faith in him....

I'm in the 'against' camp as far as the Iraq war is concerned and even the Russians couldn't control Afghanistan, which should have been a hint.
Stop agreeing with me, Ken...you're making me nervous!
Old 19-10-2010, 08:58   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Stop agreeing with me, Ken...you're making me nervous!
Your next task is to get Barrie to do the same
Old 03-11-2010, 21:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think that's the problem, although the moderates seem to go through the motions of decrying extremism in Islam, its only lip service and actually stands for nothing
Of course you can provide evidence?

Didn't think so. Try talking to people from all walks of life. You'll learn a lot more than you will from the Daily Mail, Express, or for that matter Accyweb.

I cannot believe the level of ignorance I've seen in discussing race here, including from people who would lead us. You should hang your heads in shame. Instead, the racist clique has lost another member.

I know I won't be missed, but I can at least reciprocate with a clear conscience. I even know what one is.
Hiddlebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 21:28   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Of course you can provide evidence?

Didn't think so. Try talking to people from all walks of life. You'll learn a lot more than you will from the Daily Mail, Express, or for that matter Accyweb.

I cannot believe the level of ignorance I've seen in discussing race here, including from people who would lead us. You should hang your heads in shame. Instead, the racist clique has lost another member.

I know I won't be missed, but I can at least reciprocate with a clear conscience. I even know what one is.
So why don't you stay and argue your point of view?
Old 03-11-2010, 22:04   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Talking of blind, ignorance, who besides yourself, has mentioned race?

Islam is a religion. Practiced like many other religions throughout the world, by people of many different races.

Before we all hang our heads in collective shame, we'll take a few moments to ponder your ignorant stupidity.

Before you foolishly try and play the racism card again, don't return to the playing table until you have a little more knowledge, regarding this subject.

Old 03-11-2010, 22:10   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So why don't you stay and argue your point of view?
They'll be too busy now, researching for information that might reveal the shocking fact that Islam isn't an actual race of people, to bother posing on here.

Old 03-11-2010, 22:12   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
to bother posing on here.

Was that a typo or deliberate? Hit the nail on the head, anyway!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..