Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2008, 23:52   #121
God Member

Re: mr britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Ugh, in addition (in regards to the 25k rent) I don't think anyones come up with the alternative figures of cost breakdown to show that 25k is a lot for rent. So neither argument is any more correct.
None of us have the figures but it doesn't take much to work out that these bussiness are not making ago of it. If they were they would hardly be closing down. I think the retail parks have a lot to answer for.
Old 27-04-2008, 23:52   #122

Sorry to detract from the political arguments (it always amazes me how people roll their eyes when you say you like politics, but this thread is on page 9 so go figure....) Though I saw an opportunity for a quotes page, the following link is my favourite Good Quotations by Famous people
There are some good ones in there

Someone made a good point earlier, and I think irrespective of which party you want to belong to, its important. At the end of the day, politics is about compromise. That was the first line in the first textbook I picked up on politics. It continued "Politics exists because we disagree, but it only works if we compromise" I say that because their are a lot of teeth shown in times of local elections, I like to engage in politics - though I will never get personal about it (not that anyone has on here though I have seen it at local elections, details of which are going to remain my secret). And in 100 years whose going to care...

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 00:00   #123
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
None of us have the figures but it doesn't take much to work out that these bussiness are not making ago of it. If they were they would hardly be closing down. I think the retail parks have a lot to answer for.
The question is:

Is that because of 'high' rents or is that because of something else such as the retail parks, demographic, or is it both.
Old 28-04-2008, 00:04   #124
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Ok ..'Just in terms of the allocation of time resource, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing with my Sunday morning' .. Bill Gates.

'I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson.

'I've stopped drinking, but only when I am asleep' .. George Best

'Before you talk a load of poo ... make sure you have double texture poo paper to wipe it off yer lips' (nicely scented of course .. green friendly and recycled) .. katex.

Can't think of owt else ...
I'm Glad........What a load of crap

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 00:05   #125
God Member

Quote:
The question is:

Is that because of 'high' rents or is that because of something else such as the retail parks, demographic, or is it both.
I don't know the answer to that one, if I was to hazard a guess I would say it will be a mixture of the two facts.
Old 28-04-2008, 00:14   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I'm Glad........What a load of crap
I know ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 08:28   #127
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The only 'shop' in Accrington that might possibly achieve that figure is the knockin' shop, near to Greg Pope's office.
.. always plenty of repeat customers in this game.
I did not know you were in that game Kate
Old 28-04-2008, 20:21   #128
Senior Member+

Music Zone did make a profit in Accy, the unit's rent on Broadway was somewhere in the region of £60k, the Our Price rent in Arndale was £45k and that is going back 5 years.
Old 29-04-2008, 00:00   #129
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Music Zone did make a profit in Accy, the unit's rent on Broadway was somewhere in the region of £60k, the Our Price rent in Arndale was £45k and that is going back 5 years.
Gosh, so the rents in the town centre are quite a bit more than Cyfr thought.

Still, he also thought taking ten grand a day in Accrington was feasible, so those rents could easily be paid out of the annual turnover of three million six hundred and fifty thousand pounds...according to his calculations, and we know he's a whizz with figures.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 07:41   #130
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Lets take the arndale example: £25,440 for the year.

Retailers, even in Accrington, have had turnover more than £10,000 in a day. Is the rent really that expensive when you look at it like that?
as people are well aware that the £25k was the rent for probably the "smallest" retail shop in the Arndale, @ Cryers Certainly Never took anything in that region - That i now know to be fact, n your inferance was that retailers can take £10k a day you have managed to acheive,what its taken polititions many years to do, n that is= i shall ignore you in future.
Old 29-04-2008, 08:48   #131
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as people are well aware that the £25k was the rent for probably the "smallest" retail shop in the Arndale, @ Cryers Certainly Never took anything in that region - That i now know to be fact, n your inferance was that retailers can take £10k a day you have managed to acheive,what its taken polititions many years to do, n that is= i shall ignore you in future.
If you choose to read into what I wrote and ignore me, then that is your choice. I have stated over and over that I was referring to one day and that I wasn't basing this as any kind of substantive evidence, simply playing devils advocate. I wasn't trying to have some political argument over rent.

I am aware I could have been more clear when I said 'in a day', but I certainly don't have regrets about it. If you wish to ignore me over the clarity of my English then that is fine. As a final note I never claimed to be referring to cryers. I do feel you've just jumped on an issue to ignore me on, as it doesn't seem very rational when you read my clear climbdown since that post.
Old 29-04-2008, 08:51   #132
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Gosh, so the rents in the town centre are quite a bit more than Cyfr thought.

Still, he also thought taking ten grand a day in Accrington was feasible, so those rents could easily be paid out of the annual turnover of three million six hundred and fifty thousand pounds...according to his calculations, and we know he's a whizz with figures.
Now now mr

As it were I didn't know the retail location was cryers. Therefore you can see my mistake in size.

I am completely wrong with the £10,000 figure in reference here. I can quite understand that somewhere like cryers is not taking in £10,000 in a day at Christmas time.

My apologises.
Old 29-04-2008, 10:10   #133
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Now now mr

As it were I didn't know the retail location was cryers. Therefore you can see my mistake in size.

I am completely wrong with the £10,000 figure in reference here. I can quite understand that somewhere like cryers is not taking in £10,000 in a day at Christmas time.

My apologises.
Appolgy accepted.

I hope you now see that it doesn't make economic sense for the council to build even more shops in the town, when we have so many empty ones already.

Old 29-04-2008, 18:26   #134
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I've got my hands on an Observer and just read the columns. I have no idea how Graham Jones has the nerve to say some of those things!

"How did council tax rise by 45% and nobody did anything"

Well firstly it's nice to see he used the correct figure. However how is this a bad thing? Have you looked at how much council tax rises have been on average throughout the rest of the country? Over 100%! We have a 45% rise, how is this BAD?

Every year except the last one or two the Labour group on council have proposed HIGHER council tax increases than the Conservatives! Complete hypocrisy! I suspect the only reason they've done it differently this year is for short term political gain.

"The Daily Telegraph put Hyndburn Borough Council as the most expensive council in Britain yet local Conservatives are sure they will retain power easily."

I have explained this over and over in several threads here, he has clearly failed to take any notice, and using the fact that people will take the figure at face value to gain politically. When you actually look at how the Telegraph got to that figure it nowhere near represents Hyndburn. If you're reading this Graham I'm happy to meet up with you and discuss it.

"..we still have a poor performing, high Council Tax council."

As I've said before our council tax is much less than a lot of other people are paying. The Labour national government have put HUGE pressures on local councils by delegating more responsibility without fully funding it. Council tax has to go up to deal with these things, but it appears that our council has done well to keep the increases relatively small.

"more dictatorship, or a change of direction, free speech and democracy"

Does he seriously realise what he's writing? I have no quarrel with what he's saying about increasing democracy. I think its a good thing he wants greater democracy with more people contributing, but how can anyone suggest that a Conservative council is currently a dictatorship, that we don't have free speech? Those words are reserved for North Korea not Accrington.

Then finally he gos on to talk about how Blackburn Council have introduced free sports, yet makes the comparison between Blackburn and Hyndburn. How can you make this comparison? Blackburn with Darwen is a unitary authority, they get ALL the money in council tax. Our local council get around 20% with around 80% going to Lancashire County Council!
Now I don't want you to have a funny turn, but...

I've just had another leaflet posted through my door re: Thursday's elections.

In big bold letters it announces 'the most expensive council in Britain'. Informing us that the Daily Telegraph has put Hyndburn at No. 1 spot as being the most expensive concil in Britain, and gives the source in brackets being from March 2008/8.1% income.

Old 29-04-2008, 19:44   #135
God Member

Yes finally I got a leaflet from the Labour group - I was beginning to feel left out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
"more dictatorship, or a change of direction, free speech and democracy"
Does he seriously realise what he's writing? I have no quarrel with what he's saying about increasing democracy. I think its a good thing he wants greater democracy with more people contributing, but how can anyone suggest that a Conservative council is currently a dictatorship, that we don't have free speech? Those words are reserved for North Korea not Accrington.
Then finally he gos on to talk about how Blackburn Council have introduced free sports, yet makes the comparison between Blackburn and Hyndburn. How can you make this comparison? Blackburn with Darwen is a unitary authority, they get ALL the money in council tax. Our local council get around 20% with around 80% going to Lancashire County Council!
Of course WE have free speech but I think Graham is refering to the way that Councillors are restricted from speaking publicly about some issues.

Also, the point that Graham is making with BwD is not a comparison but the fact that it was a Hyndburn Labour group idea that BwD have decided to implement.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..