Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2007, 23:31   #1
God Member

National Rememberance Holiday

Just come across this and personally i think its a great idea and it certainly got my vote .

What do you guys think?

Number 10 Downing Street has approved a petition requesting a new public holiday falling on the Monday after Remembrance Sunday in November each year, to be known as the National Remembrance Holiday. Its purpose is threefold:

1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and women who have given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain. 2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our Nation and what it stands for. 3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.

create a new public holiday, the National Remembrance Holiday to commemorate The Fallen and our Nation, with the holiday falling on the second Monday in November each year, the day after Remembrance Sunday. (34482 signatures)
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2007, 23:35   #2
white rabbits

Re: National Rememberance Holiday

sounds good to me
Old 14-11-2007, 23:39   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
sounds good to me
any holiday sounds good to me, but thats as good a reason as any.
Old 15-11-2007, 00:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Just come across this and personally i think its a great idea and it certainly got my vote .

What do you guys think?

Number 10 Downing Street has approved a petition requesting a new public holiday falling on the Monday after Remembrance Sunday in November each year, to be known as the National Remembrance Holiday. Its purpose is threefold:

1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and women who have given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain. 2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our Nation and what it stands for. 3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.

create a new public holiday, the National Remembrance Holiday to commemorate The Fallen and our Nation, with the holiday falling on the second Monday in November each year, the day after Remembrance Sunday. (34482 signatures)
I guess most folk would like any new holiday. It's a pity that No 10 Downing Street dont take the rememberance day seriously. They may well arrive all suited and booted at the cenotaph with their poppy garlands in hand....Question is, how many WW1 and WW2 veterans will die this year through hypothermia ? Quite a few I imagine.

How many convicts in our jails will suffer the same fate ?

It's a fake or hollow homage in my opinion, in many instances the folk whom they say "shall never be forgotten" are already forgotten and many are still with us.
Old 15-11-2007, 00:42   #5
Member.

The idea is sound, but its the application. Will people remember or will they just take it and do what people do.....

I like the idea. Bonneyboy, you are quite right but maybe linking that to the reason behind the holiday might be a way of re educating the Nation.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 01:34   #6
God Member

Sounds like a helluva good idea ... we have a long weekend every month. Any excuse for heavy drinking on a Sunday and not having to worry about going to work hung over. And on the serious side another day set aside to remember is more than appropriate.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 06:51   #7
Resident Waffler

Sounds like a good idea to me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 06:55   #8
God Member

Think the idea is a good one in principle as long as there is some emphasis placed on the true reason for it.
Old 15-11-2007, 14:12   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

An extra Bank Holiday is fine but it won't take long for the nominated reason to be forgotten in all but name. Who now remembers that Spring Bank Holiday was, originally, Whit Sunday (and how many know what Whit Sunday means)?
Old 15-11-2007, 14:16   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
An extra Bank Holiday is fine but it won't take long for the nominated reason to be forgotten in all but name. Who now remembers that Spring Bank Holiday was, originally, Whit Sunday (and how many know what Whit Sunday means)?
Hope I get this right as I was brought up in the Catholic Faith although I don't practice now. Is it the seventh Sunday after Easter?
Old 15-11-2007, 14:21   #11
God Member

Pentecost - whitsun is the seventh sunday after easter sunday

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 14:44   #12
Resident Waffler

Whit Sunday - to commemorate the day of Pentecost when the apostles were gathered together and the Holy Ghost descended on them as tongues of fire and they were able to speak in languages they had not learned so that all who heard them could understand their message.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 15:36   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Think the idea is a good one in principle as long as there is some emphasis placed on the true reason for it.
Give it a couple of years and will have been taken over by the shop keepers as a big blast off for the Christmas shopping season , pre Christmas sales etc. just another excuse to get people out spending more money than they can afford .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 16:29   #14

If we are getting an extra bank holiday i think that's a perfect time to have it. But as most people say will people actually reflect on the day itself and realise why it is a bank holiday. Not just a day off so people can go out on the Sunday without having to worry about getting up.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 17:25   #15
Resting in Peace

I think the thought of this is lovely, however, looking at the hard facts, will affect your holiday allowance e.g. where I work we are allowed 33 days holidays, from these it is mandatory to take the 6 days closure at Christmas and all the Bank Holidays already in place (can't be bothered to reckon 'em up).

If there is another one, will reduce the choice for the ones you wish to take for holidays, personal needs, etc. So wouldn't go along with it just now, sorry.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..