Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2005, 16:10   #1

National switch to digital television begins

Television history has been made with the start of the analogue switch-off in the UK.

A tiny corner of Wales is no longer able to receive television through a conventional aerial and has gone digital instead.

Around 460 homes in the villages of Ferryside and Llansteffan are now at the forefront of technology and can now only receive a digital TV signal.

German capital Berlin is the only other place in Europe to have achieved this.

The move is the first part of the Government's plan to switch off analogue TV completely and move over to digital by 2012.

There are 11 million homes to convert across the country and it can cost up to £300 per household to go digital.

British viewers face a combined bill of £3 billion to make the switch or lose out on television altogether.

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-03-2005, 16:13   #2
I am Banned

Re: National switch to digital television begins

Once the analogue is switched off do we still be charged for TV livience or will it become part of the digi bill???
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 16:15   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Once the analogue is switched off do we still be charged for TV livience or will it become part of the digi bill???
Good point!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 16:16   #4
I am Banned

LOL trust me to get straight on to the money bit pmsl glad im not only one to be curious tho
Old 30-03-2005, 16:22   #5

That is what we would all like to know!!
More robbing off us folk!

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 16:27   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
There are 11 million homes to convert across the country and it can cost up to £300 per household to go digital.

British viewers face a combined bill of £3 billion to make the switch or lose out on television altogether.
This bit I don't understand. A freeview box is about £30-40. Do some housholds have 10 TV's ( £30 x 10 = £300 ).

Last edited by Neil; 30-03-2005 at 16:31.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 16:30   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Yes you will still pay for your TV licence.

What do you mean by digi bill - Sky Digital is seperate altogether.
Most of us can get free digital TV now using a freeview box. Just buy it and plug it in. Some people may need a new aerial, my original aerial works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
That is what we would all like to know!!
More robbing off us folk!
How can more channels for no extra money be a rip off?

Last edited by Neil; 30-03-2005 at 16:32.
Old 30-03-2005, 16:36   #8
I am Banned

Im sorry i think thats a joke i think tv should come under one bill the amount the bill is is dependant on how many channels u want but what about those whom haven't got digital ???? Just extra costs for crappy viewing to get an ariel n box or dish charged a fortune from those companies n BBc want their own slice as well!!!!!!!! RIP OFF Britain it is!!! hang on Roy i may be boarding a plane [oh i wish!**
Old 30-03-2005, 16:48   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
hang on Roy i may be boarding a plane [oh i wish!**
Get to the back of the queue! If any-ones going to carry his luggage it's going to be ME!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 16:51   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Get to the back of the queue! If any-ones going to carry his luggage it's going to be ME!

PMSL!!!!!! hey im in the luggage hope im not heavy for ya .....shhhh just dont tell Roy LOL
Old 30-03-2005, 17:12   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Im sorry i think thats a joke i think tv should come under one bill the amount the bill is is dependant on how many channels u want but what about those whom haven't got digital ???? Just extra costs for crappy viewing to get an ariel n box or dish charged a fortune from those companies n BBc want their own slice as well!!!!!!!! RIP OFF Britain it is!!! hang on Roy i may be boarding a plane [oh i wish!**
If you pay just the licence you get analogue and digital terrestrial ( not satellite ) included. There are several digital channels that are free. You pay extra if you want more. This is what you are talking about I think except you pay the extra to a different provider.
Old 30-03-2005, 17:16   #12
God Member

We are OK in Granada untill 2009 though so don't go getting on that plane just yet.

You can also get BBC, ITV,CH5 + a few others via a 'SKY' box without a subscription to BSkyB. YOu ring up and ask for a Free to Air card.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 18:31   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
You ring up and ask for a Free to Air card.

Ian
You ring up and PAY for a Free To Air card

BBC channels and several others can be received on a Sky Digibox without a card in. Pull your card out and try it.

This does of course mean that we pay the licence fee that pays for the BBC and all of Europe and more can now receive BBC channels for nothing. We are a friendly country arn't we.

Last edited by Neil; 30-03-2005 at 18:34.
Old 30-03-2005, 18:54   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
This does of course mean that we pay the licence fee that pays for the BBC and all of Europe and more can now receive BBC channels for nothing. We are a friendly country arn't we.
I had never thought of that it beggars belief what they con us into.

I'm just thinking though The European countries that are viewing these channels might have some means of paying the BBC too, do other countries not have a similar thing to TV licenes or the digital companies not pay a percentage to the BBC?
Old 30-03-2005, 19:42   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
You ring up and PAY for a Free To Air card

BBC channels and several others can be received on a Sky Digibox without a card in. Pull your card out and try it.

We didn't pay for one for MIL. Just rang up and it came a few days later.

If you mean we pay the license fee then I'm afraid that is here to stay so there isn't really an option there
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..