Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2007, 23:11   #1
Always EVIL within us

Angry Nestle, What a Wonderful Company....

Company names that seem to promote health and well being to us in the western world................are seemingly creating stress and hardship in third world countries.......

Every 30 seconds a baby dies from unsafe bottle feeding in the Third World

We Can't Let Them Get Away with It!
Boycott Nestlé and Wyeth

Nestlé and Wyeth, two of the World's largest producers of powdered baby milk, are currently breaking a World Health Organisation Code on the marketing of breast milk substitutes.

* Nestlé and Wyeth provide free milk to maternity hospitals in the Third World so that newborn babies are routinely bottle-fed.
* When newborn babies are given bottles, they are less able to suckle well. This makes breastfeeding failure likely. The baby is then dependent on artificial milk.
* When the mother and baby leave hospital, the milk is no longer free. At home parents are forced to buy more milk, which can cost 50% of the family income.
* Because the milk is so expensive the child is not fed enough. This leads to malnutrition.
* The water mixed with the formula is often contaminated. This leads to diarhhoea, malnutrition and often death. James Grant, Executive Officer of UNICEF, has said:

Every day some 3,000 to 4,000 infants die because they are denied access to adequate breast milk.

* 1.5 million babies die every year from unsafe bottle feeding.
* Breast feeding is free and safe and protects against infection - but companies know that unless they get babies on the bottle, they don't do business.

I do not necessarily advocate boycotting, but I would fully support manslaughter charges being brought against companies such as these that would knowingly kill for a profit..........
Old 29-07-2007, 12:15   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Nestle, What a Wonderful Company....

All in the name of the bottom line. It’s despicable.

The only Nestlé product that I buy is coffee but not any longer once the current jar is finished.
Old 29-07-2007, 12:21   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Nestle, What a Wonderful Company....

This is nothing new. It's been going on for years.
Old 29-07-2007, 12:29   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
Company names that seem to promote health and well being to us in the western world................are seemingly creating stress and hardship in third world countries.......

Every 30 seconds a baby dies from unsafe bottle feeding in the Third World

We Can't Let Them Get Away with It!
Boycott Nestlé and Wyeth

Nestlé and Wyeth, two of the World's largest producers of powdered baby milk, are currently breaking a World Health Organisation Code on the marketing of breast milk substitutes.

* Nestlé and Wyeth provide free milk to maternity hospitals in the Third World so that newborn babies are routinely bottle-fed.
* When newborn babies are given bottles, they are less able to suckle well. This makes breastfeeding failure likely. The baby is then dependent on artificial milk.
* When the mother and baby leave hospital, the milk is no longer free. At home parents are forced to buy more milk, which can cost 50% of the family income.
* Because the milk is so expensive the child is not fed enough. This leads to malnutrition.
* The water mixed with the formula is often contaminated. This leads to diarhhoea, malnutrition and often death. James Grant, Executive Officer of UNICEF, has said:

Every day some 3,000 to 4,000 infants die because they are denied access to adequate breast milk.

* 1.5 million babies die every year from unsafe bottle feeding.
* Breast feeding is free and safe and protects against infection - but companies know that unless they get babies on the bottle, they don't do business.

I do not necessarily advocate boycotting, but I would fully support manslaughter charges being brought against companies such as these that would knowingly kill for a profit..........
It's not that I disbelieve you, nor do I condone it if this is going on but could you give us the source from which you got these 'facts' that puts the blame on these two companies?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 13:17   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Nestle, What a Wonderful Company....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
This is nothing new. It's been going on for years.
That still doesn’t make it right though.

There was a similar sort of issue with GM corn seed. The seed would grow the corn OK but the plant was sterile. Meaning that the farmers couldn’t set aside some of the harvest to grow next year’s crop and had to buy more seed from the GM company. I’m not sure if it was ever resolved though.

Quite a long while back there was a Panorama or Dispatches programme about this issue. It would appear that nothing positive was ever done about it.
Old 29-07-2007, 15:23   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
That still doesn’t make it right though.
Too true. I just meant that Nestle have a long history of this kind of exploitation.
Old 29-07-2007, 16:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It's not that I disbelieve you, nor do I condone it if this is going on but could you give us the source from which you got these 'facts' that puts the blame on these two companies?
Actually Less they are freely available anywhere on the net. Just google it or use Yahoo.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 17:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
Actually Less they are freely available anywhere on the net. Just google it or use Yahoo.
No, I don't need to, the person making the comment should supply information that we can all refer back to. I trust busman but without the back up of a reliable source why should anyone believe this to be true? I hope he rectifies the situation rather than leaving it hanging in the air!
Old 29-07-2007, 19:07   #9
God Member

I too heard this years ago. there are sites where you can 'test' the ethical status of companies

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 19:53   #10
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
No, I don't need to, the person making the comment should supply information that we can all refer back to. I trust busman but without the back up of a reliable source why should anyone believe this to be true? I hope he rectifies the situation rather than leaving it hanging in the air!
Smacked hands for me Less I agree with you that I should have supplied the source, unfortunately in this instance, I can't. I copied/pasted this article a couple of weeks back while searching for something else and kept it on my desktop. I normally retrieve the website as well but in this instance I didn't. many apologies

It was the first that I had heard of this problem with Nestles but Willow, like some of the other accyweb members had heard of it previously which gave slight creedence to the story. If it is untrue then I should expect a solicitors letter through my door at any time addressed to BUSMAN747, ACCRINGTON, LANCS.
Old 29-07-2007, 19:56   #11
Senior Member+

I'm expecting full referencing and bibliography for every new thread from now on.
Old 29-07-2007, 19:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
Smacked hands for me Less I agree with you that I should have supplied the source, unfortunately in this instance, I can't. I copied/pasted this article a couple of weeks back while searching for something else and kept it on my desktop. I normally retrieve the website as well but in this instance I didn't. many apologies

It was the first that I had heard of this problem with Nestles but Willow, like some of the other accyweb members had heard of it previously which gave slight creedence to the story. If it is untrue then I should expect a solicitors letter through my door at any time addressed to BUSMAN747, ACCRINGTON, LANCS.
Perhaps then, it's time you went a'googling "I heard, she heard, he heard", is not a statement of fact it is gossip!
Old 29-07-2007, 20:01   #13
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Try THIS ONE LESS Its not the site that I originally come across but I think you will find it interesting and certainly goes a long way to proving the facts in my first post. Especially, check out the "your questions answered" link
Old 29-07-2007, 20:15   #14

Quote:
As UNICEF has said:

"Marketing practices that undermine breastfeeding are potentially hazardous wherever they are pursued: in the developing world, WHO estimates that some 1.5 million children die each year because they are not adequately breastfed. These facts are not in dispute."
Sorry busman, how are these facts not in dispute? the site claims this is what unicef says but where is the proof, just like you, they don't give us a link, how do you know this to be true? It could be someone sacked by Nestle for being lazy! (I doubt it, but how can we tell?).

Without the proper source it is still gossip.
Old 29-07-2007, 21:02   #15
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Sorry busman, how are these facts not in dispute? the site claims this is what unicef says but where is the proof, just like you, they don't give us a link, how do you know this to be true? It could be someone sacked by Nestle for being lazy! (I doubt it, but how can we tell?).

Without the proper source it is still gossip.
Is UNICEF good enough for you Less?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..