Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2007, 05:30   #1
God Member

obituaries and Grandchildrens names

ok , I'm approaching a certain age where the first page I check in the local paper is the obituary column, same when I check the Accy Observer on-line edition on a Friday , just to see if I recognize any names of friends and contempories , one thing has struck me while reading about who has passed over is the names of the survivours, is that most of the children (30/40/50 yr olds) have regular/traditional names, but lots of the surving grandchildren have names that have either been re-spelled from the traditional spelling or are complete new creative inventions.
So , what do you folks think ? am I turning into a 'Victor Muldrew' or should I just 'get with the times' and accept these new names and spellings.
Should mention that I am guilty that whenever I come across an employment application at work "funny" names do tend to go to the bottom of the pile . I should say I have no objection to any religious or ethnic name, just to the stupid/innovative spelling of traditional names.
Some countries have regulations about what you can register as a childs name, do you think this is a good idea ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2007, 06:11   #2
God Member

Re: obituaries and Grandchildrens names

I think that you should be allowed to call a child, more or less anything you want and spell it however you want (obviously, within reason so that it's not an abusive term - not 'Oy' or 'Blockhead' etc.)

But I also think that a child should be able to reregister their name officially at a certain age. So that if they have been called 'Moonbeam' or even just a different spelling of their own name they can change it officially at a specific age.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 06:18   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I think that you should be allowed to call a child, more or less anything you want and spell it however you want (obviously, within reason so that it's not an abusive term - not 'Oy' or 'Blockhead' etc.)

But I also think that a child should be able to reregister their name officially at a certain age. So that if they have been called 'Moonbeam' or even just a different spelling of their own name they can change it officially at a specific age.
anyone can change there name by deed poll
Fast deed poll

Last edited by Mick; 28-07-2007 at 06:20.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 06:22   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
anyone can change there name by depole
You don't actually need to change it by deedpoll. You can simply ask everyone to start calling you that, then go along to the banks etc and ask them to use it - once its been established then that can be used as your legal name. Changing it by deedpoll only establishes it immediately whereas the other route can take a few years whilst people get used to it. Most people use deedpoll when they are divorcing and want to go back to their maiden name or things like that.

But what I'm suggesting is that at the age of 18 (or some other age around then) you have an 'official' notification saying 'what would you like to be called from now on' and then a naming ceremony or the such like.

Old 28-07-2007, 06:27   #5
Resting in Peace

But as you said "reregister their name officially at a certain age" then it has to be done by deed poll the other way "just telling people you want to be called a new name is not "official" and would not be registered.

"Most people use deedpoll when they are divorcing and want to go back to their maiden name or things like that."
I know about 8 people who have changed there name and not been married they just changed it because they did not like there old one.

Last edited by Mick; 28-07-2007 at 06:33.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:48   #6
God Member

not wanting to upset anyone , but certain names have been used in England for more than a 1000 yrs , eg Emma , Maud, Mary etc. sometimes they are in fashion sometimes not , but they are English names , to name someone Kali ( the sugary flavored coloured stuff you used to dip your finger into and then lick off) is in my opinion wrong , unless you are an Hindu.
All I was trying to say in my original post was that giving children 'original' names sometimes works to the childs disadvantage wether it be in school or future job prospects .
I'm more likely to hire someone as a secretary who's application form says Jane than someone called Jain , who's name reminds me of a pole dancer
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 06:52   #7
Resting in Peace

Yes Steeljack i do agree there are some daft names about now and i pity the children at school that has one.
Old 28-07-2007, 07:20   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
But as you said "reregister their name officially at a certain age" then it has to be done by deed poll the other way "just telling people you want to be called a new name is not "official" and would not be registered.

"Most people use deedpoll when they are divorcing and want to go back to their maiden name or things like that."
I know about 8 people who have changed there name and not been married they just changed it because they did not like there old one.
I didn't use deed poll when I divorced. I simply started to use my maiden name and changed my passport and driving license to my maiden name with no hassle what-so-ever. Deed poll is not necessary, you can legally call yourself whatever you want so long as it is not for fraudulent purposes.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 08:29   #9
Give, give, give member

Steeljack, you live in a country were children are called Duke and Earl.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 08:32   #10
Give, give, give member

...then there's Prince and Queen Latifah.

Are there any Counts?

Old 28-07-2007, 09:28   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...then there's Prince and Queen Latifah.

Are there any Counts?

No, but there's one on here...........

I follow what you mean Steeljack.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 09:34   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
No, but there's one on here...........
I'll line 'em up, you put them in the back of the net.

Old 28-07-2007, 13:09   #13

i think you shud be able to name your children wot u like my little boy has a unusual name,KEELAN,when people ask wots his name is and i tell them thay like it,and it isnt common lol
lancscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 15:38   #14
God Member

Count Basie.

Old 28-07-2007, 16:24   #15
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Steeljack, you live in a country were children are called Duke and Earl.
Hey now, my dad's name is Earl, as is his dad. Probably cause Joseph William Atkin was yearning for the old country!

I agree with you here Steeljack. I REALLY struggle with the innocuous name concoctions that are coming up. It's really odd as I notice it mostly amoung the weekly "Police Reports" and also in the new birth sections of the paper. Most of these names come where only the birth mother is listed.

I'm still trying to figure that one out but I believe alot of it around here is a cultural (mostly Black) thing.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..