Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2005, 11:55   #1
God Member

New Year's Honours List

Today sees the publication of the New Year's Honours List, with shiny gongs for the great and the good.

I see that Tom Jones is awarded a knighthood and that Bruce Forsyth gets a CBE, while the whole England Cricket Team get MBE's. Gordon Ramsey, the foul mouthed chef, gets an OBE (presumably for services to profanity).

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the Honours System was supposed to a way of recognising service to the country above and beyond the call of duty and a way of recognising outstanding bravery or courage.

Here is the full list....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,5023,00.html

... And it makes pretty sickening reading. Not a lot of evidence of anything above and beyond, or of bravery and courage. Merely a lot of weary bureaucrats and show biz luvvies, who, by the way, are already very handsomely rewarded for their efforts as it is.

Time for an overhaul I think. Lets have an Honours System that means something instead of one that seems to reward anybody who can be bothered to get out of bed in the morning.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 31-12-2005 at 13:20.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2005, 12:02   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: New Year's Honours List

I can't believe that these people have been included in the honours list...

The Queen has honoured the Prince of Wales’s divorce lawyer and a trusted aide to Prince William and Prince Harry. Fiona Shackleton, who was formerly Prince Charles’s key legal adviser, was appointed a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order, and Mark Dyer, an ex-Guards officer, a Member.
Daniel Galvin, who has styled the hair of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, is appointed OBE. He styled the hair of Diana, Princess of Wales and created a shampoo for the Prince’s Duchy Originals brand.

The family divorce lawyer and hairstylist????????

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 12:53   #3
I am Band

Question Re: New Year's Honours List

Is it true that the government alone can recommend people for honours, or can the royalty hand out the gongs to their cronies & entourage, irrespective of the government of the day?

Whatever is the case, the vast majority of the honours dished out end up in the hands of the kiss-arse-chorus.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 13:17   #4
Beacon of light

These awards have been devalued over the years by the giving of honours to bog standard entertainers. I am pleased to see that some of the people involved in the rescue of survivors of the London bombings have been honoured......this is what the honours system should be about.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 14:43   #5
Give, give, give member

Sir Tom Jones. He that has spent most of his life in tax exile, and though still married to his childhood sweetheart, has admitted committing adultry hundreds of times.

Absolutely laughable.

People who act heroically daily, remain unadorned with cheap meaningless gongs. The only good thing was the recognition of some of the bravery of the people involved in the London bombings.

Thank goodness hereditary honours are in decline.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:45   #6
God Member

Agree with the London bombing hero's getting an award.
Gordon Ramsay, the chef renowned for his four-letter outbursts. Why?
Bruce Forsyth yes and about time.
Jonathan Ive ? for creating the muggers favourite nickable item after mobile phones.
Royal aides and lackies.
The cricket team ok yes only because of our Freddie.
Olympic 2012 bid team.

Honours are now becoming as David Dickinson likes to say "cheap as chips" and no longer seem to be valued as they once were.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:30   #7
white rabbits

its all a farse now........ i really dont think the honours are worth the paper they are written on...
Old 01-01-2006, 12:42   #8
God Member

It seems to me a lot off people get them for who they are and not what they do, so on that point maybe its time to scrap them.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 09:42   #9

Very few these days are fully deserved in my opinion, there are the odd ones such as those who helped on 7/7 but I feel a lot of them are undeserved and yes Spuggie, I believe it is time they were scrapped.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:49   #10
white rabbits

thats my oppinion too
Old 02-01-2006, 14:20   #11
Always EVIL within us

The late and great John Lennon made national news and shocked the general public in 1969 when he sent his chauffeur to Buck palace to return his MBE along with a note that read:,
"]"Your Majesty, I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against COLD TURKEY slipping down the charts. With Love, John Lennon.""

He was by no means the first to reject or return an "honour" from the monarchy but it is the one we all remember and history is proving that he was so right to do so.

In the past couple of decades, the list has become a joke, perhaps they should reschedule the awards for April 1st instead of the New Year?

As for this years list, I struggle to find ANYONE who is truly worthy with the possible exception of a handful of people that assisted in helping the injured in the 7/7 attacks - and even then it wasn't necessarily an act of heroism. What about the bus driver in the Kensington bombing that continued to drive buses after his recovery? his story was inspirational and sent out a message loud and clear to the many fanatics. Instead, they awarded Peter Hendy, Managing Director of "SurfaceTransport" an O.B.E. for "inspirational leadership" - - and Major Muriel McClenahan of the Salvation Army for her role in "co-ordinating support"

Andrew Flintoff received the"BBC Sports Personality of the Year" award earlier in the year but the papers were filled with pictures of him absolutely blotto and a ciggie hanging out of his mouth after England won the ashes. A sportsman? Not as far as I am concerned - - and why should David Graveney get an award for being the "Chairman of Selectors" ?????? Ooh, nearly forgot Medha Laud who organized the tour itinaries and accomodation for our cricket team - - -

There used to be a time when a "sir" or a person with letters after their name commanded respect from us commoners but that is no longer the case. The monarchy and the system have debased what used to be something to be proud of. I am surprised in retrospect that John Lennon took 4 years to return his gong - but he's still our "working class hero"
Old 02-01-2006, 17:12   #12
God Member

Any sugestions for an alternative to the current honours list?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 17:17   #13
Give, give, give member

Every time someone is awarded a gong, for perhaps working tirelessly for charity, it is always tempered with the fact that Mark Thatcher will become a Lord on the death of his mother Margaret Thatcher.

A joke.

Old 02-01-2006, 17:22   #14
God Member

If such a thing ever did happen I hope the Lords was abolished before it happened. Besides the guy is a joke. Now whats that dudes name who could do it eeemmmm.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 17:25   #15
Give, give, give member

Oh it will happen.

Luckily though with the recent changes, it's unlikely he'll get a seat in the House of Lords.

We'll just have to doff our caps at him, and kiss the ermine hem of his robes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..