Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 11:01   #1
God Member

Nobel peace prize

BBC NEWS | Europe | Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize
I wonder if he will invade Iran now

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2009, 17:29   #2
God Member

Re: Nobel peace prize

i speak to a lot of yanks and not one of them can think of 1 damn reason why he shoudl get this , he was nominated 12 days after been elected so what teh hell he did in 12 days apart from being black and popular god only knows

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 18:09   #3
Give, give, give member

Peace where?

This award is absurd, and smacks of the utmost patronage because of his colour.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 18:14   #4
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Peace where?

This award is absurd, and smacks of the utmost patronage because of his colour.
Now who's being hypocritical?
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 18:19   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Now who's being hypocritical?
Why is that hypocritical?

Secondly, please feel free to supply any evidence when I've said you've been it.

Old 09-10-2009, 18:42   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Why is that hypocritical?

Secondly, please feel free to supply any evidence when I've said you've been it.
Oh well, no explanation of how what was posted was hypocritical, or indeed where I've said you were.

I suggest you perhaps take a moment to ponder before posting anymore incorrect statements.

Old 09-10-2009, 19:07   #7
God Member

On the other hand, Obama's cancellation of plans for a missile defence sheild in Poland and the Czech Republic can be viewed as the most positive step yet to avoid the possibility of a spasm response global nuclear war. With Obama in the White House, there is less chance of us blowing ourselves into extinction ... this increased possibility that we may survive is, in itself, worth some form of recognition.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 19:19   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
On the other hand, Obama's cancellation of plans for a missile defence sheild in Poland and the Czech Republic can be viewed as the most positive step yet to avoid the possibility of a spasm response global nuclear war. With Obama in the White House, there is less chance of us blowing ourselves into extinction ... this increased possibility that we may survive is, in itself, worth some form of recognition.
That indeed is a positive step towards a better future with the former Soviet bloc countries, but this all occured after the Nobel nominations.

Old 09-10-2009, 19:23   #9
Give, give, give member

'The closing date for nominations for the prize was February 1st. Obama was only sworn in as president less than two weeks before that. You do have to wonder what achievements he made during that fortnight, except not being Bush, the Bomber of Baghdad.'

Old 09-10-2009, 20:43   #10
God Member

its a farce ,but what do we know? were only the peasants... on a lighter note a piece of useless information if i look to my left out my window i can see remains of nobels dynamite factory at ardeer sunny scotland...
Old 09-10-2009, 22:31   #11
God Member

Quote:
'The closing date for nominations for the prize was February 1st. Obama was only sworn in as president less than two weeks before that. You do have to wonder what achievements he made during that fortnight, except not being Bush, the Bomber of Baghdad.'
for me the strange thing is not that Obama won the prize, but why he was nominated in the first place... the bloke seems to be as surprised as anyone and has even said he does not think he deserves it.
makes me wonder if there is some diplomatic stuff going on.. the man that stood up to Mugabe in Zimbabwe was beaten half to death along with his family, and he was nominated..but perhaps the "panel" did not want to rock the boat (however the panel are)!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:34   #12
Senior Member+

He seems to have got the prize for one main reason - he isn't George Bush. The Norwegian Panel have concluded that after that guy, anything has got to be better, but I'm not sure its sufficient to warrant the Nobel Prize!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:39   #13
God Member

Political? -yes - the Eurovision song contest started the trend

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:27   #14
Resting in Peace

It's now been devalued altogether, when you look at past recipients, just what has he done, and I agree with Mancie why was he nominated in the first place
Old 10-10-2009, 11:56   #15

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

How are Laureates selected? | Nobels fredspris

Read the part about nominations, in particular how names can be added AFTER February 1st, and how "In the process, a need sometimes arises to obtain additional information and updating from the group of advisers, especially if any of the nominees are involved in current political affairs."

Obama's work since Feb 1st (some of which Eric posted above) has obviously been taken into account.

The committee "has been known not to arrive at a decision until at its very last meeting before the announcement of the Prize at the beginning of October."

But then again the link in post 9 was from the Daily Mail, and we all know how factual that particular chip wrapping is.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..