Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2005, 19:52   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear

You'd think that someone could at least find time to update the thing wouldn't you?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2005, 22:16   #17
Senior Member+

Budgets, Willow, budgets!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 14:09   #18
Resident Waffler

Oh yes I forgot how strapped for cash the council is.

Old 19-01-2005, 14:14   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Oh yes I forgot how strapped for cash the council is.
Thought they had a Webmaster, he/she must be busy, happen helpin binmen out

Job sharin

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 14:24   #20
Senior Member+

Stand by yer beds for the new Council Tax bills!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 15:16   #21
Senior Member+

On that subject, why not read "Our Leaders Column"

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/Your_Co...ers_Column.pdf

Looks like most of the CT goes on "Cleaning & Parks maintenance" an payin off debts

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2005, 15:26   #22
Senior Member+

Thanks Parc381, I notice one of the comments that show his ability at decision making...

If he raised taxes his "Life would be hell and would not be able to enjoy a pint in his local"

A man in his position who is influenced by his pals in the pub is CRIMINAL....
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 15:32   #23
Senior Member+

I wonder if all the Cllrs will offer to take a "CUT" in their expenses in order to keep CT increases down

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2005, 21:27   #24
Resident Waffler

How is selling off our assetts going to enable the council to invest £2million in Hyndburn every year? Once things have been sold that's the end of them - it isn't renewable income. Or hasn't he realised that?

Old 19-01-2005, 22:03   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
How is selling off our assetts going to enable the council to invest £2million in Hyndburn every year? Once things have been sold that's the end of them - it isn't renewable income. Or hasn't he realised that?
That is so, but if selling off the assets clears the books, then would not any future CT be available to spend on Hyndburn, and not to pay off debt from days gone past

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2005, 22:10   #26
Resident Waffler

I see your point but with the current track record I can't imagine them not getting into debt again and having nothingl eft to sell off.

Old 19-01-2005, 22:16   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
I see your point but with the current track record I can't imagine them not getting into debt again and having nothingl eft to sell off.
True, but i think the debt is of old, from when HBC was first formed, please correct me if I am wrong

Albert Einstein.

Old 20-01-2005, 05:01   #28
God Member

Aah but remember if we do sell off the town hall etc then we would have to rent it back again. Times by the next 100 years.........
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 06:11   #29
God Member

The sale of Council, and thus Public, assets is a complex issue. If you will recall the reports in the Observer some weeks back, it was stated that The Market Hall would be offered on a 125 year lease. This would mean that the lease could be either bought outright - big bucks now, or could be paid for yearly - little bucks once a year.

The Town Hall is already in the hands of a charity. I am not sure what the arrangement is there but I would imagine that it is a way round the borrowing restrictions placed on councils by the government.

I remember, years ago, I used to live in Islington in North London, then one of the looniest of the loony left boroughs. As a result of the cap on borrowing, intended by the tory government to rein in the spending of local councils, Islington under Margaret Hodge found itself with massive debts and resorted to "lease-back" as a way of raising cash to fund it's trendy excesses. The Town Hall was sold to a merchant bank in the city from whom it was rented by the council. The agreement was for a fixed term, five or ten years, I can't remember which, at the end of which the council agreed to buy back the building at the market rate. The assumption was that an incoming Labour government would help out with the buy back. John Major's election success came as a bitter disappointment to the council. When the Blair Government eventually came to office it was at some pains to point out that it had no intention of helping the loony left councils with public money. What the situation in Islington is now I do not know, but I imagine that their debt is somewhere in the stratosphere by now.

In this light, one wonders how much of the £60 Million debt that HBC has been able to rack up is down to the policies of the previous labour administration, under George Slynn, and their attempts to get around rate capping?
Old 20-01-2005, 06:49   #30
Resident Waffler

Funny you should mention George Slynn A-b. I was only talking to Busman last night about him. I assume the debt has accumulated and snowballed over the years rather than occurred all at once when HBC was first formed.

At least Peter Britcliffe assures us that he has not sold the Town Hall to Witherspoons. (sp?)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..