Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2011, 18:30   #1

Older politician

Looking at some of the threads on here about politicians.I migrated before the Thatcher era but was forcibly informed about it by my parents who lived through it.Sounded like a horror story....ah well....water under the bridge.
My fav politician was Winston Churchill....who always had a quick put down ready on his lips...esp for women.....ie

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.” Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2011, 18:35   #2

Re: Older politician

Another quote from the great man..........

Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn’t happen.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 19:25   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow View Post
Another quote from the great man..........

Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn’t happen.
Um ya seem to remember Tony and Gordon had that principle for 13 years
Old 19-11-2011, 19:43   #4
God Member

Quote:
Looking at some of the threads on here about politicians.I migrated before the Thatcher era but was forcibly informed about it by my parents who lived through it.Sounded like a horror story....ah well....water under the bridge.
My fav politician was Winston Churchill....who always had a quick put down ready on his lips...esp for women.....ie

Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.” Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
Another one, and I'm doing this from memory ... on an anti-google kick again : Churchill was attending a banquet in the US and he asked a lady sitting next to him to pass the platter of turkey "breast". The lady politely pointed out that in America they referred to it as "white meat" not the more sexually suggestive "breast".

Next day, the lady received a beautiful red rose from Winston. The note accompanying the flower said, something like: Madam, you would do me a great honor if you wore this flower on your white meat.

I know it's a wander, but in the same vein Margot Asquith, on a visit to the US, met Jean Harlow. Ms. Harlow mispronounced "Margot", sounding the silent "t". Margot said something like: "No, the "t" is silent, like the "t" in Harlow.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 14:27   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Another one, and I'm doing this from memory ... on an anti-google kick again : Churchill was attending a banquet in the US and he asked a lady sitting next to him to pass the platter of turkey "breast". The lady politely pointed out that in America they referred to it as "white meat" not the more sexually suggestive "breast".

Next day, the lady received a beautiful red rose from Winston. The note accompanying the flower said, something like: Madam, you would do me a great honor if you wore this flower on your white meat.

I know it's a wander, but in the same vein Margot Asquith, on a visit to the US, met Jean Harlow. Ms. Harlow mispronounced "Margot", sounding the silent "t". Margot said something like: "No, the "t" is silent, like the "t" in Harlow.

Great one liners Eric -especially the Asquith one - wanted to give you karma but the *****y thing won't let me -been too generous already today, + i sent you some yesterday! Am in your debt....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 21-11-2011 at 14:28. Reason: Inverted letters...
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 14:36   #6
God Member

Couple of Thatcher "gems":

"I usually make up my mind about a man in 10 seconds, and I very rarely change it." Am in total agreement on this one

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't."

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 21-11-2011, 16:54   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Great one liners Eric -especially the Asquith one - wanted to give you karma but the *****y thing won't let me -been too generous already today, + i sent you some yesterday! Am in your debt....
Aw thanx .... the thought is enough; that's what counts
Old 21-11-2011, 17:06   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:

He also said to the same lady i think.She said "If you were my husband sir i would poison your tea" his reply was "If you were my wife madam i would drink it".
Old 21-11-2011, 17:35   #9
God Member

I'm sure that there was a time in the history of any democracy when people became politicians because they wanted to work for the good of the country. Whatever people say about Churchill, he was a patriot in the best sense of the term. He certainly didn't make money out of it. Most of the time he was out of office he survived on what he made from his writing. (Don't forget he won the Nobel Prize for Literature). It seems as if that at some point in history, politicians started to put themselves before country.

I'm not sure when that point was, but I think I'll give it a thought.

Also, Winston Churchill, when he was PM, could walk to work through the streets of London with little or no security. Today, leaders can't take a leak without having a bunch of special forces troops keeping an eye out for them. I wonder why
Old 21-11-2011, 17:42   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm sure that there was a time in the history of any democracy when people became politicians because they wanted to work for the good of the country. Whatever people say about Churchill, he was a patriot in the best sense of the term. He certainly didn't make money out of it. Most of the time he was out of office he survived on what he made from his writing. (Don't forget he won the Nobel Prize for Literature). It seems as if that at some point in history, politicians started to put themselves before country.

I'm not sure when that point was, but I think I'll give it a thought.

Also, Winston Churchill, when he was PM, could walk to work through the streets of London with little or no security. Today, leaders can't take a leak without having a bunch of special forces troops keeping an eye out for them. I wonder why
Probably guarding against colonial snipers Eric
Old 22-11-2011, 11:43   #11
God Member

Great character, Harold Wilson. " A week is a long time in politics" is his, also

"I'm an optimist, but an optimist who carries a raincoat."

and for those on here who love being in the EU:

"Given a fair wind, we will negotiate our way into the Common Market, head held high, not crawling in. Negotiations? Yes. Unconditional acceptance of whatever terms are offered us? No."

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..