Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2009, 17:08   #1
Senior Member+

On a Town Centre Street

How could this happen in the centre of a town, I thought all the ATM machines were covered by cctv

Skimming scam discovered at Burnley cash machine (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2009, 17:14   #2
God Member

Re: On a Town Centre Street

im surprised they still operate this scam its been done for years and been highlighted on many fraud tv shows etc

if i am using a machine i dont use often especially in blackpool i always give a tug on where teh card goes in to make sure teh frontage dosnt come off and also sheild my pin when entering it

fraudsters are very resourcefull and all i can say is cover the number pannel with your other hand when entering your pin so that even if they obtain your card they cant use the pin

another one is where a waitress or waiter takes your card and swipes it throug a machine which records teh cards data , petrols stations have also been caught doing this and shops in accrington where they swipe your card through a reader under the counter and make a duplicate later on

never let your card out of your sight , always cover your pin at all times when entering it and have a close look at any cash machines you use especially those that are put in shops

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 15-04-2009 at 17:18.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 17:32   #3
God Member

You'd be gutted wouln't ya... especially when it seems the police knew it was going on

But left it so they could catch them

Wonder if the police are gonna pay back the ones who got scammed
Old 15-04-2009, 18:12   #4
God Member

hopefully the banks cover their losses

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 15-04-2009, 18:17   #5
Resting in Peace

Don't quite understand this ... do they put a sort of casing on top of the original machine ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 18:53   #6
God Member

yes and if memory serves me corrctly they fit a metal loop usualy made from a tape measure that prevents yur card been returned to you , they retrieve the card later then look back at teh video footage to see what pin you entered , also another way is that they insert a card reader into their facia which reads teh data on your card snd they put that data onto any other card then again look at video footage to see what your pin number is then empty your account

the facias look realistic so people get fooled , one set of theives actually wentteh whole hog and bought their own machine and rented a shop where they put teh machine into its wall and hundres of people got scammed as they walked past using whatthey thought was a normal machine in teh street, teh machine was set to swallow their card no matter what and they got all the pin numbers from a camera they fitted

clever sods eh

Old 15-04-2009, 18:59   #7
God Member

this is one way

Old 15-04-2009, 19:19   #8
God Member

Worse than being scammed by your own kids n family.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..