Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2006, 12:39   #1
God Member

Our Butty. hehe

I do believe that Jambutty would have been the Barrack Room Lawyer (or whatever the naval equivalent) in his younger days.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2006, 13:06   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Double Standards???

Sorry to disappoint you Tealeaf but I wasn’t. There was no need because we knew the rules and kept to them and so did the people in authority.

By the way the Navy equivalent is called a Lower Deck Lawyer.

The nearest and only time that I ever came to being anything close to a Lower Deck Lawyer was on one occasion I was serving 14 days stoppage of leave (drunk in Venice) when I was due to play for the ship’s football team in Cyprus. Men under punishment could still go ashore if on duty. So I argued successfully that it was my duty to play for the ship’s football team if picked. The captain agreed and I played. The result against the Welch Regiment was 2 - 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0220.jpg (86.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg scan0221.jpg (107.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg scan0219.jpg (96.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 25-07-2006, 13:32   #3
God Member

Re: Double Standards???

2-2? I trust the captain gave you another 14 days in the brig for failing to beat the Taffs?
Old 25-07-2006, 13:54   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Considering that our team was picked from a crew of 200 and the Welch Regiment had some 2,000 guys to pick from 2 – 2 was a good result for us. Destroyers don’t have brigs they made the anchor chain locker do. Not that ours was ever used except for stowing the anchor chain.
Old 25-07-2006, 14:04   #5
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Considering that our team was picked from a crew of 200 and the Welch Regiment had some 2,000 guys to pick from
I hope that was a genuine spelling error and not a poke at the Welsh jambutty, I am rather proud of my Welsh blood mixed with a splattering of Lutonian ancestry.
Old 25-07-2006, 14:05   #6
Super Moderator

Now then, Jambutty, I reckon that spell checker of yours is suffering from the heat this afternoon. It should be Welsh, not Welch!
Old 25-07-2006, 14:28   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

If the spelling of the Welch Regiment was good enough for their regimental flag then surely it must be good enough for everyone.

The Welch Regiment doesn’t exist anymore and I believe it is now part of the Royal Regiment of Wales.

Can I point you to a search for Welch Regiment on http://uk.ask.com/#subject:ask|pg:1 to prove the point.

My family from a long way back comes from Wales Busman747. My ancestor was probably a bastard child of a wench who lived in Buckley a parish in St Albans in the County of Cheshire. To this day there is a small town called Buckley in North Wales, (530 10' North, 30 5' West) which I believe was at one time in Cheshire. It is now in Flint.
Old 25-07-2006, 14:33   #8
God Member

err...not quite, Bussy & Wynonnie. have a look at this:

http://www.rrw.org.uk/

Apparently, this is how the welsh themselves preferred the spelling.

Like most regimental museums, that of the Royal Regiment of wales carries some splendid exhibits. There is one, however, sadly lacking, and that is of a half-time scene in a football match between the WR and the Royal Navy on the island of Cyprus in the mid-1950's. Apparently, the Taffs stood no chance of winning..they were 2-nowt down at half time, so somewhat cunningly they persuaded the locals to ply the Navy lot full of wine. Second half, the navy lot let 2 in and the game was a draw. Somewhere, it is rumoured, is a photograph of this half-time p**s up.
Old 25-07-2006, 14:34   #9
Super Moderator

Well, you learn something new everyday! My apologies, JB!
Old 25-07-2006, 14:44   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Well, you learn something new everyday! My apologies, JB!
lol beware wyn your taking the grandmaster on.
Old 25-07-2006, 14:45   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

It’s all lies Tealeaf not a drop of Keo wine touched my lips. Well it doesn’t from a bottle. I just put the pictures in the wrong order.

I could have done with that excuse when we got back onboard and the captain frowned at the result.

That’s OK Wynonie Harris. A lot of people used to make that mistake.
Old 26-07-2006, 10:10   #12
God Member

Re: Our Butty. hehe

I suspect that the Welsh spell it as Welch is because "Welsh" is the old anglo-saxon word for "foreigner"...its interesting to note how many have held their hands up to this.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 26-07-2006 at 10:14.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..