Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 12:56   #1
God Member

Female Muppets with Mobiles

Just what the hell is it with women and mobile phones? The latter is a simple tool which enables us blokes to have a simple and brief conversation establishing a) where to meet or b) a yes or no decision. Simple. Dial or answer. Speak. End call. Put phone in pocket.

Meanwhile, the female of our species appears to sieze every opportunity to spend countless hours engaged in the most inane drivel shouting into this device. Be it the checkout queue at the local supermarket or a crowded bus, they insist on calling some likewise nincompoop to indulge in broadcasting meaningless natter to all and sundry about boyfriends/work/wrong time of month and whatever useless nonsense you can imagine. It is, quite simply unsocial beheaviour.

Given therefore, the logistical problems of issuing ASBO's to every mobile-carrying woman, would it not be much more simpler to ban women from the possession of mobile phones, thus increasing the quality of life for all?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2006, 13:13   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Female Muppets with Mobiles

I think you are generalising quite a lot here Tealeaf. I have a mobile phone and have had £20 credit on it since January...I have just checked and i have £18:47 credit still on it. I hate mobile phones and only carry one to appease my husband and daughter.......I rarely use it to speak on. I prefer to send a text message....this does not have any impact on the people in the vicinity and they know nothing of my business either. Maybe I am in a minority.....but I am sure there must be other females out there who you do an injustice to.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 13:28   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I think you are generalising quite a lot here Tealeaf. I...but I am sure there must be other females out there who you do an injustice to.
Well Margaret, you appear to be one of the very, very few sensible ones. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-07-2006, 13:31   #4
Resting in Peace

I am not going to post on here Tealeaf i will text you or phone you later and we can talk about it
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 13:33   #5
Beacon of light

Mick....you rascal!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 13:39   #6

Margaret that's very good but I've put £10 of credit on mine on New Years day 2005 and I still have £4 odd left but that's as much to do with the fact that I'm a tight so and so as anything.

My other half spends much time and money sending text messages to her friends when it's simpler and, due to the BT package that we have, free between 18:00 and 06:00 on weekdays or anytime at weekend, to phone them landline to landline.

When I questioned my beloved about it the other night she announced that she couldn't be bothered getting up to get the phone, so I went and got the phone for her and as I passed it to her I mentioned, incase she didn't realise, that it's not one which is fixed to the wall with a short wire

I love my other half but really sometimes I despair.
Old 06-07-2006, 13:45   #7
God Member

I tried to write a text message on mine the other day and gave up... what a pain..

Women who think its clever to go through junctions and roundabouts using one hand while the other holds the mobile phone.... and usually with a back seat full of kids jumping about...
Old 06-07-2006, 13:47   #8
Resting in Peace

Tealeaf, you really are very wicked and intent on not meeting yer next birthday

My experience of men on the mobile is completely opposite to what you have stated. If you have ever done a trade exhibition, sat on a train or any type of business seminar, you are constantly overpowered by the amount of calls the gentlemen reps make on their mobiles.. constantly ringing customers, the office and any other Tom, Dick or Harry that will talk to them. They are vociferous and walk around the floor whilst carrying out these communications with buzz words and an authoritative attitude just to impress the others in hearing distance. To boot, they are not short conversations.

Of the few calls I have had to do myself, I have sat myself down quietly, out of site if possible and not wishing any competitors around me to earwig.

To cap it all, lots of this breed still favour the Nokia ring tone .. funny to watch them when one is activated and approximately 6 look at their mobiles to see if is theirs .. tee heee. Constantly lookin at it anyway !

Yes, they do also make personal calls too, particularly towards the end of the day and give an account to their wives/girlfriends of their 'successful' day (aren't I a clever boy) and how their progress home will be attempted. Discuss their evening meal and ask how the kids are since the morning !!

Most of these calls can wait.. so please do not go on about women on the phone.

With my personal mobile, I am just like Margaret ... text rather than talk, and have it in silent mode all the time.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 15:02   #9
God Member

I use my phone all the time in exactly the way you describe it Tealeaf. I AM that annoying person who is walking around Asda having a chat and you know what - I am completely and totally unrepentant.

It's multi tasking. If I'm chatting to a friend whilst shopping then it means that I don't have to ring her later whilst I'm trying to feed the kids and get some work done. It's what women do because we have so much to do each day that we have to double up!

In my defence, I do use hands free whilst I'm driving.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 15:29   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I use my phone all the time in exactly the way you describe it Tealeaf. I AM that annoying person who is walking around Asda having a chat and you know what - I am completely and totally unrepentant.

Yep. I thought so. You are that annoying person, who when it gets to the checkout, insist on still yapping on the mobile while searching for the purse...(10 minutes)...having found the purse, you then discover you've missed summat off your list...so you disappear doen the aisle to return with can of beans (another 10 minutes and still yapping on the phone)..then it finally comes too payment, and still yapping, you can'y remember your pin number....then another card...then cash back and still yapping.

Meanwhile, I just popped in for a packet of sausages. Said sausages are now rotting with age and I'm another hour older.

"Multitasking"...give us men a break.
Old 06-07-2006, 15:47   #11
God Member

Yep, that's me and I do it on purpose. The more the man in the queue tuts at me the longer I'm going to be. If you do one of those head shaking sighs then you can guarantee it's going to take me three times as long to pack the bags but I will smile nicely at you just to annoy you even more!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 15:59   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Point is Tealeaf as Gayle's remarks, we are willing to admit to this, however, please do not suggest is just a female trait ... that's utter nonsense.

Ironically, as these posts were being entered ... I am out in the garden trying to get it to look less like a meadow ... a guy outside in his garden diagonally approx 40 yards away, answered a mobile 'phone from a call from a fella called Pete. Could hear every word although didn't take in the sense of it .. was about 20 minutes long.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 16:19   #13
God Member

Quote:

It's multi tasking. If I'm chatting to a friend whilst shopping then it means that I don't have to ring her later whilst I'm trying to feed the kids and get some work done. It's what women do because we have so much to do each day that we have to double up!

In my defence, I do use hands free whilst I'm driving.
Have to agree with Gayle on the shopping and on the mobile at the same time as at least they are moving. If they (women and men) meet a friend in the supermarket their talking and non movement blocks the isle and even polite request to get through are sometimes met with distain. I have tried shopping and phone convo's at the same time but forget what I have gone for.

Better that they are on the phone in the supermarket than driving onehanded while on one. Both male and female drivers do it so aint singling either out here as I see it on a regular basis and for once those on deliveries aint the biggest offenders.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 16:29   #14
I am Banned

my mobile is switched off 90% of the time because i am fed up of phoncalls that merely happen just to relieve the boredom of those calling me or ask stupid questions like "where are you"

i have much better things to do than chit chat and if its realy important get off your arse and find me

men seem to have their longest mobile phone conversations when driving but thats probably because they cant get off teh phone because a woman has just rang them
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 18:10   #15
Resident Waffler

I have one of those pay as you go thingies that gives you free texts every month as long as you top up with £10.

The only time I ever use it to make a phone call is when I'm trying to track down where one or other or both of the kids have got to or if I'm arrnging to meet them for some reason after school.

I still have £32.06 on it and nowhere near used up all my texts last month. Mind you, when I'm in a caravan in the summer hols I'll make up for that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..