Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2003, 20:00   #1

Post Our Public Transport

I am a driver/rider but i also use our local public transport when the need arises, what do the members of the web think of our local public transport?
I like the way the site is going, keep up the good work.
B.
Old 21-07-2003, 20:09   #2
Resting in Peace

Post Re: Our Public Transport

you are tripping over busses through the week but try to get one on sunday
and that so called bus station is a death trap >
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2003, 21:17   #3
Caz
God Member

Nothing at all for Springhill on a Sunday.
Pilkys does a seven day pass and you can only use it for six!You don't get unlimited trips either like with some companies.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2003, 06:53   #4

It's never been the same since the council sold off the bus company and the Ellison Street garage. Now it's just a mess. How come neighbouring boroughs - Blackburn, Burnley and Rossendale - managed to hang on to their bus companies?

Bring back Accrington Corporation Transport, I say!
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2003, 07:10   #5
Caz
God Member

[quote author=ASFC1951 link=board=general;num=1058852134;start=0#3 date=07/22/03 at 07:53:23]It's never been the same since the council sold off the bus company and the Ellison Street garage. Now it's just a mess. How come neighbouring boroughs - Blackburn, Burnley and Rossendale - managed to hang on to their bus companies?

Bring back Accrington Corporation Transport, I say![/quote]

funny how you can get an idea of a peron's age by what they write. I'm always checking the profiles to see if I'm right!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 22-07-2003, 07:48   #6

Yes, you're right, I'm just a whinging old git. However, you don't have to be elderly to realise that Thatcher's transport deregulation in 1987 was not a good idea.

By the way, whatever happened to those nice sunken gardens on Broadway? Anyway have to go now, the nurse says it's time for my pills...

Old 22-07-2003, 08:17   #7
Caz
God Member

Not meant as a criticism. I'm a whinging old git too!! ;D

Yeah I can remember the sunken gardens too!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 22-07-2003, 09:34   #8

Sorry, Cazzer, thought you were one of these youngsters, but I see from your profile that you're only three years behind me!

When I used to sit on the deck in the 60's grumbling about all the "old gits" walking past, I never thought I'd turn into one!
Old 22-07-2003, 09:37   #9
Resting In Peace

Well said ASFC1951, I was part of Thatcher's mess up of public transport in October 1986, I was a driver for the Borough of Hyndburn Transport Department as it was then and we lost a great percentage of our earnings immediately the transport bill came into force, 26th October 1986, a date I and many others won't forget in a hurry.
So what if I am a whinging old git! money is money when all is said and done.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:57   #10
Senior Member+

With a family of 4 it works out cheaper to get a taxi
Old 10-09-2003, 16:05   #11

Public Transport - Hell no!! Car or Taxi only
Old 10-09-2003, 16:08   #12
Caz
God Member

Don't drive, so got no choice but buses.
Wouldn't be safe on the road, not even safe crossing one. ;D

- Oscar Wilde
Old 10-09-2003, 16:16   #13

Im not on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night ;D

Come to think about it add Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as well, anyday when I have had a drink

And before I get shouted at by anyone I mean crosssing the road, not driving on one. NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE, thats why I get such a good deal with Taxis, use them that often
Old 10-09-2003, 19:41   #14
Accrington Web Mascot

I'd rather not have to get on buses - but sometimes needs must!  Very expensive to go a few bus stops away (before you call me lazy - it isn't safe to walk to work in the mornings if it's dark).

I once got on a bus and was sat behind a senior woman (old bag) and she wouldn't stop moaning cos a woman with a pram had to stand at the front of the bus with the pram mostly blocking the aisle - she couldn't go in one of the bays as they were already taken.  But the old bat obviously thought the the poor lady should've walked home instead.  I could just imagine if no one had got up from one of the front seats to let her (old bag) on!  Sometimes I think that the older generation can be more ignorant than the younger.  (This comment excludes anyone that has posted re this subject - your just having a laugh!)
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 20:35   #15
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

My dad worked for Accrington Corporation and was heavily ripped off when they changed the transport system. When they went to Stagecoach, he lost his right to retire at 50 and his pension frozen, he was 18 months away from retirement at the time and very pi***d off to say the least. He now has to work until he's 60. Bear in mind that for drivers of double decker buses health deteriorations ie eyesight, stiff joints causing delayed reaction times can be dangerous to passengers and other rosd users. My dad loved working for Accy corporation, and now gets very little joy out of his job. >

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..