Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 08:35   #1
Resting in Peace

Out Of Date Food

I was given a very nice home made curry yesterday but i had run out of poperdomes
so i went to a shop on blackburn road for some .
he said looking at the sell by date they are 65p but as they are 3 months out of date you can have them for 50p.
have you ever bought out of date food because it was cheap ?

Last edited by Mick; 01-09-2005 at 08:41.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2005, 08:59   #2
mez
God Member

Re: Out Of Date Food

nope, reason you might just finish up with the dreaded jeepers creepers (running loo all day)
Old 01-09-2005, 09:16   #3
God Member

I bought some junior asprin (cant recall what for.. kids anyways) from the old papershop that used to be at the lights on blackburn rd (nr station) i didnt realise until I got home that they where THREE YEARS OUT OF DATE

I hadn't used one.. Phoned the health dept or whatever (this is a few years ago) and they said..... dont worry there safe to use.......not even slightly interested.

hmmmm and the sell by date is for what?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:30   #4
God Member

Nine times out of ten the sell by date is little more than insurance for the manufacturers.

I used to work in pharmaceuticals and was told that the sell by date wasn't the day it would go off but the date they could guarantee that it would still be 100% effective. So a few days, even a few months or a year after it wouldn't actually harm you, but perhaps may not cure you so effectively.

Obviously some food does have a short shelf life but it's possible to tell by smell or sight whether a food is off or not and I pay little attention to sell by dates for things like cheese or bread where it's obvious whether they're off or not.

The only time I pay attention is with packet goods or fresh meats and fish where I'm never quite sure whether they're ok or not. I would have tasted the poppadums and if they'd been a bit chewy I would have binned them but if they were still fairly crispy I wouldn't have bothered one bit about eating them after the sell by date.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:26   #5
Give, give, give member

I'll buy things like Diet Coke that's cheaper because it's reached it's sell by date.

What I hate is buying something at full price which is fresh, at full price, only to find it has to be eaten that day.

Supermarkets do it all the time as part of their stock rotation. A root to the back of the shelf/fridge and you'll find the same goods at the same price, but with up to another half a week of shelf life.

It makes me feel more of a hunter gatherer doing this, or more a rooter and rummager I suppose.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:31   #6
Beacon of light

I often buy and eat out of date foodstuffs........nothing bad has ever happened to me.

Way back in the Olden days......I don't know if any of you remember Sauls shop......it used to be near Black Abbey St.......I used to get sent there for tine without labels and dented tins.......which were always in a basket by the door.......they were very cheap and sometimes it was the only way Mum could put something on the table......she used to come over all peculiar if we managed to get a tin of red salmon for 6d.

Way back then, nothing had sell by dates on......I have even scraped mould off cheese before eating it.......that was then, I don't think I would do that now......but how can a jar of hermetically sealed coffee be past its sell by date........or loose tea in sealed foil bags......?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:34   #7
God Member

Nice thread .......makes me remember a time when I was pregnant with my first son.

I had trouble keeping anything down when i was pregnant, in and out of hospital, on drips for dehydration and everything.
This one particular night, i just fancied some Oxtail soup, so my hubby went to the shop on willows lane and bought some for me.
He came home and opened the tin of soup, turned it upside down, and nothing came out.
So he banged on the bottom of the tin and the soup came out like dog meat, still in the same shape as the tin it was in.
When we looked at the sell by date, it was 2 years out of date.
My hubby took the tin and it's contents back to the shop, the owner said to his wife, " the oxtail soup on the shelf is out of date, put it in the cardboard box, and put it out for 30p".

Awwwwwww, I don't really go in the shop anymore, things I go in for are fags and things that can't poison me with being out of date.

Oh yes the same shop actually sold me some out of date GRIPE WATER, for my son when he was 3 month old. That too was 1 year out of date. How dangerous is this.

Miracles do happen!!

Last edited by slinky; 01-09-2005 at 10:36.
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:44   #8
Clearly Classy.......

Wink Re: Out Of Date Food

oh slinky that made me laugh I so wish you hadn't put the last 5 words into this post!!!! You'd have got many replys I think!

Awwwwwww, I don't really go in the shop anymore, things I go in for are fags and things that can't poison me with being out of date.

Love Romps.........

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:49   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romps
oh slinky that made me laugh I so wish you hadn't put the last 5 words into this post!!!! You'd have got many replys I think!

Love Romps.........
Yes but i enjoy FAGS................I do not enjoy, oxtail soup, that is moulded to the same shape as the tin that it is in, and smells like dog s''''e..........that's the difference.
I know that fags will kill me, and yes they can put it on my headstone!!!!!!! ' all she wanted in life was a good smoke'.
But I would be mortified if they put ' all she wanted was oxtail soup'.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 01-09-2005, 10:52   #10
Give, give, give member

I use my cute little button nose to decide if it's safe to eat out of date food.

I once made some blamange in 1982 which was bought in 1962, and it was yummy.

Being a singleton, I'm always cutting the mouldy bits of cheese, and I'm perfectly normal.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:56   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

and I'm perfectly normal.

perfectly normal you say??? yeah nice joke. Remind me not to eat mouldy cheese again!!!!!!!

Miracles do happen!!

Old 01-09-2005, 11:00   #12

[/QUOTE]

whats blamange

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:04   #13
Give, give, give member

whats blamange[/QUOTE]

I'll look in my Mum's cupboard and see if there is any left and I'm make you some hun, it'll be better for you than your Dad's curry! Lol

Old 01-09-2005, 11:05   #14
Beacon of light

Blancmange is flavoured set custard......you can get strawberry, chocolate, vanilla and raspberry.......it is also known as table creams........it used to be very popular with jelly and was an invaluable way of getting milk into kids who wouldn't drink the stuff.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:09   #15
Give, give, give member

Ooops, I just realised that the box was so old I couldn't read the it properly.

Like Marg said it should have read blancmange rather than blamange. This was a proper 'blanc' one as it was white and was supposed to be vanilla.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..