Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2005, 12:43   #1
Junior Member+

What do0o0o you think...

... the meaning of life is?

Ifs there's a god, I think the meaning of life is too lead your life normally which you'll be judged weather your good or evil, sending you to either heaven or hell.

If there isn't a god, well then I guess the whole point is too lead a long and meaning full lif, survival of the fittest, but if there wasn't any god, you wouldn't need to waste all your time being nice to people.
Old 31-08-2005, 12:52   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: What do0o0o you think...

no contest in my book! believe in god, not really religious, think it don,t matter how you live your life= good,bad, indifferant. believe that when he pulls your clockcard thats it-goodnight vienna.
Old 31-08-2005, 14:23   #3
God Member

I have a belief in god but I think the comment of if there wasn't why waste time being nice to people is probably the daftest comment I've heard in a while. So does that mean all athiests go around being plain nasty???? I believe we should live life to the full and treat people the way we would want to be treated ourselves

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 14:40   #4
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
I have a belief in god but I think the comment of if there wasn't why waste time being nice to people is probably the daftest comment I've heard in a while. So does that mean all athiests go around being plain nasty???? I believe we should live life to the full and treat people the way we would want to be treated ourselves
I ain't an Athiest, but if there really is no god, then that makes pretty much everything pointless.
Old 31-08-2005, 14:41   #5
Give, give, give member

I was brought up as a Methodist, but am now an atheist.

I am always good.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 14:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
I believe we should live life to the full and treat people the way we would want to be treated ourselves
That's a pretty good way to lead your life, but we don't have to be religious or believe in some kind of 'all powerful being' in order to do that. I don't have any religious faith although I was christened into the C of E. It must be really comforting to believe that someone is watching over you and that you are going off to heaven for an eternity when you die. My wife is a christian and despairs of me. She says I will go to hell when I die because I have not accepted Jesus Christ as my personal saviour. She has asked me on many occassions to give it some thought as she finds it difficult to deal with the what she considers will happen to me. However, the more I think about it the more I am convinced there is nothing. None of it has any basis in fact; it is purely a matter of faith. I have great problems with that but my biggest problem is that God is supposed to be a God of love and I am supposed to be one of his children. Well, would you condemn your child to an eternity of hell? We all love our children and no matter what they have done we would not want them condemned for an eternity even though we know that they have to be punished for their misdeeds. But an eternity!!! Not much love there as far as I'm concerned.

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 31-08-2005 at 15:00.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 16:03   #7
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
but my biggest problem is that God is supposed to be a God of love and I am supposed to be one of his children. Well, would you condemn your child to an eternity of hell? We all love our children and no matter what they have done we would not want them condemned for an eternity even though we know that they have to be punished for their misdeeds. But an eternity!!! Not much love there as far as I'm concerned.
You got it all wrong, God only sends those to hell who do not wish to be with God when you die, also I beilieve you get punished for your sins in hell until all your negativity is gone then you are welcomed into heaven, eternal punishment is bad enough for a god never mind a human.
Old 31-08-2005, 16:54   #8
God Member

If the big guy is about then at somepoint in life he will help/influence what you do. Personally, yes he's out and about and as the world has 6 billion plus then it might take a while to visit. You dont have to be of a fix religion to believe

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 16:56   #9
God Member

Me I must be bad as I have a mother in law from the pits of hell so I should be ok when my time comes.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 31-08-2005, 20:09   #10
Beacon of light

The meaning of Life.......? Well, that's a tough one, but here is my twopennorth.
You have to do the best you can with what you were given, you have to make your mark......and by that, I mean that when you leave this place there should be some good essence that you have been here.....you should help another human if you can, in any way that you can......and if you do, be as modest as you can.
I have no religion but I do believe that there is something better than this life........though I can't tell you what it is.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 31-08-2005 at 20:12.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 20:10   #11
white rabbits

samuel.. i am beginning to find that i dont care for your lifestyle very much,, but that is your choice... first you blag your way through life predending to be smarter and cleverer than you are and you cant be bothered to be nice to people, because there is nothing to gain...
why not try to be nice ,you may get a nice suprise ,,and you might find your not so bad after all ..and as for the suvival of the fittest ,it should not be a dog eat dog world...
Old 31-08-2005, 20:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samael
You got it all wrong, God only sends those to hell who do not wish to be with God when you die, also I beilieve you get punished for your sins in hell until all your negativity is gone then you are welcomed into heaven, eternal punishment is bad enough for a god never mind a human.
If you read your New Testament, it will tell you that the only way to God is through Jesus Christ. If you do not accept Him as your personal saviour you will not be spending any time in heaven. Where did you come up with this stuff above?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 20:18   #13
God Member

Different beliefs between different faiths leads to different teachings.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 31-08-2005, 20:23   #14
God Member

mmm what a deep thread .... After studying sociology for the last 12 month I can honestly say it has made me re-evaluate religion on the whole and makes for some 'interesting' conversations with religious people (I sway towards Marxism I'm afraid). Basically I think we are here to pro create and 'that's it' ....... I believe religion is a man made structure to keep people living good lives on earth with a promise of reward when we die (what I good idea, wish I'd thought of it ). That doesn't mean that I don't hope there's more than just death, that there's a heaven and I'll meet up with lost loved ones eventually but I doubt it
Old 31-08-2005, 20:25   #15
God Member

There are 2 garuntees in life "death and taxes" sums it up does it not.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..