Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 09:30   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Out of touch..

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Admittedly Pete Waterman is already a wealthy man, but that really isn't the point.

Millionaire or pauper, there's a principle at stake.

If he co-wrote the song, it should be protected by copyright.

After all the owners of YouTube/Google aren't exactly short of a bob or two either, and they are making money off Waterman's work. Especially if they're just paying eleven quid, for a song that's been watched 154 million times.
Think thats a point thats escaped everybody Rindi
Old 12-04-2009, 21:42   #17
God Member

I agree with Garinda, but have no sympathy for Waterman personally, I would guess he has exploited a few over the years, the talent shows he co presented stitch all the finalsists up to a contract which makes them more money than the eventual winners for starters.
Old 13-04-2009, 13:55   #18
Senior Member+

Yeh forget Waterman and his rubbish...if you want real quality from a you tube video click on this one of me mate Dene redoing that fantastic song Agadoo!!!

A star is reborn!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 14:53   #19
God Member

Perhaps he needs a new publisher who has a clue then? Youtube had a deal with them. My main outrage is that he compares himself to exploited third world workers.
Old 13-04-2009, 14:57   #20
God Member

If he is so concerned about the third world, perhaps he could give some of his many millions over to them!
Old 13-04-2009, 16:12   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yeh forget Waterman and his rubbish...if you want real quality from a you tube video click on this one of me mate Dene redoing that fantastic song Agadoo!!!

A star is reborn!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
I skipped it the first time around Taggy, think I'll give it a miss this time too
Old 13-04-2009, 16:44   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I skipped it the first time around Taggy, think I'll give it a miss this time too
LOL!! Me too...on both counts Jaysay!! I only knew about the remix from talking to Dene out in Benidorm, he plays in a few tribute type acts out there, he's a really nice chap actually and doesn't mind folk talking the mick out of the Black Lace days....mind you its probably wise to only take it so far...he's a pal of Ricky Hatton too!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 21:39   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Admittedly Pete Waterman is already a wealthy man, but that really isn't the point.

Millionaire or pauper, there's a principle at stake.

If he co-wrote the song, it should be protected by copyright.

After all the owners of YouTube/Google aren't exactly short of a bob or two either, and they are making money off Waterman's work. Especially if they're just paying eleven quid, for a song that's been watched 154 million times.
It's a valid point, it's the argument performers/producers have with google.. but Watermans stuff will have been played millions of times all over the world by DJ's at clubs and discos..I doubt he gets paid anything for those plays.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 23:08   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
It's a valid point, it's the argument performers/producers have with google.. but Watermans stuff will have been played millions of times all over the world by DJ's at clubs and discos..I doubt he gets paid anything for those plays.

'In 2008, PPL and MCPS created a joined license, named ProDub license, which covers the licensing for both organizations. The new licensing scheme is tiered, tier 1 costing £250 including VAT, and allowing the copying of up to 5,000 songs, up to tier 4 which costs £400 including VAT and allows the copying of up to 20,000 songs.'
Digital DJ licensing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'The licence money goes to the 3,500 record companies represented by PPL.'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4609378.stm

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 23:16   #25
God Member

maybe it boils down to what is called "broadcasting"..you could argue that the bloke next door playing Kylie loud enough for the nieghbours to hear is broadcasting!.but you'd have a job trying to get royalties.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 09:28   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
maybe it boils down to what is called "broadcasting"..you could argue that the bloke next door playing Kylie loud enough for the nieghbours to hear is broadcasting!.but you'd have a job trying to get royalties.
He'd be in bother if he set up a disco with flashing lights in his garden though Mancie

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..