Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2005, 09:35   #1
God Member

Paris - the city of steps.

During my exile we've had three days in Paris (romantic break without the kids). It's beautiful and very cultural and you wouldn't believe the amount of public art all over the place. But, omg, how many steps are there in that city? My legs were aching so much I literally couldn't walk any more at one point.

We've decided that once a year we're going to take ourselves away for a couple of nights and leave the kids with the grandparents - so which city breaks do you recommend for next year's trip?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-08-2005, 10:23   #2
God Member

Re: Paris - the city of steps.

Prague is a beautiful city but I also had a real girly laugh in Amsterdam but very very beautiful too. If you go Amsterdam I would recommend stopping on the Amstel Botel. Its like a cruise liner hotel on the canal (it is bolted to the bottom though, so no swaying) but won't break the bank. We had some fab trips on the canal as the city is full of it. You can also visit the galleries and the markets are great too. Best of all was sitting outside with a beer on one of the many bridges, sun shining, listening to a very talented busker and people watching, it was great and very relaxing

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 10:38   #3
Give, give, give member

I was lucky enough to spend a term in Paris when I was twenty. I don't remember climbing a lot of steps as I'm lazy, and even caught the metro up to Monmartre. Even the fact that it's inhabited by Parisians can't take away from the beauty of the city though.

My suggestion for a romantic weekend would be Florence. I went there for the first time last year, after seeing my best friend Milly in Milan and before going down to see another friend in Rome. You can walk everywhere, and it's flat. The buildings are stunning, and the Duomo is a Renaisance marvel of engineering. The square filled with statues, including Michelangelo's David, made me cry. I can't remember the name of the square, but you can't miss it, and it's in the film A Room with a View. Fantastic places to eat, and if you are not there for a romantic weekend with your partner, some wild nightclubs.

Last edited by garinda; 29-08-2005 at 10:40.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 10:46   #4
God Member

No steps! - We went up the Eiffel tower twice (once in daylight and once at night), then we went around the Louvre and the Pompadieu Centre and Notre Dame - all of which involved a lot of steps. Then there's all the steps along the Seine and going up and down into the Metro. I drew the line at going up to the top of the Arc D'Triomphe - my legs were too tired at that point.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 10:52   #5
Give, give, give member

Lol, I told you I was lazy.

I used the lift up the Eiffel tower, and was carried around the rest of the time in a Bath chair by two love slaves.

Old 29-08-2005, 12:07   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Had a brilliant weekend in Paris with the girls a few years ago. Also didn't do steps, too lazy during the day and too drunk at night I'm afraid. Beautiful city though. Haven't really done much in the way of city breaks, although I did enjoy Barcelona a few years back and Cagliari (Sardinia) is a lovely city. Most of my city visits have been long haul, Hong Kong (superb) Bangkok (a fabulous experience) and Singapore (clean, hot and designer shopping paradise). Would love to do a few days in New York....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 15:39   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

glad you enjoyed paris, barcelona is well worth a sneck,loads of gaudi arcitecture,les ramblas is brill,and the fountains at night are something else.
Old 29-08-2005, 17:01   #8
Give, give, give member

I flew up to Glasgow for the weekend from London, and when I flew back I put my flat up for sale and handed in my notice in at work and moved there, how's that as a recomendation for a weekend away?

Glasgow has some stunning buildings by Rene Mackintosh, some great galleries and some of the finest resteraunts outside of London.

The people are very friendly, and unlike image of the Scots being like Rab C. Nesbit, are more likely to be wearing Prada, as it's the biggest retail market outside of London.

All just 260 miles away, and you can drink the water too.

Old 29-08-2005, 17:19   #9
God Member

Barcelona is stunning. I love the place. I know a very reasonable hotel on La Ramblas so you can look out over the main street as the world goes by. We wen there for New Year 18 montsh ago. We ended up sat on our private balcony with about 20 thousand people below all celebrating the clock.

Paris is lovely as well. I love walking so it isn't a problem. My sis lived in the outskirts for a few years so I have been a good few times. The year before barca we did Paris for New Year. Sat in teh park under the Effiel Tower with a bottle of Courvoisier and two glasses. Class!

I quite fancy Milan and Prague and a friend went to St Petersburgh and had a brill time.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 17:37   #10
mez
God Member

ooooooooo i loved, paris i also loved barcelona,can't wait to go to prague, vienna, munich & my all time must do sometime............st, petersberg
Old 29-08-2005, 18:27   #11
white rabbits

you must go to venice,,, its fasinating,,,,,,while we were on the canal ,there was a funeral going inthe opposite direction ,it was a bit sad and people were throwing flowers ,but it is a very romantic place too..
also been to st petersburg ,,you must visit the hermatage museum it is awesome..the place is beautiful and steeped in history ..and i agree about les ramblers in barcalona..when you have had loads of photos taken with the human statues ,you can spend your euroes at the top of the hill in good old c&as
Old 29-08-2005, 18:56   #12

Been to Paris, Rome, Barcelona, but, for me, Venice tops them all....... the canals may stink, the gondoliers rip you off, but the cafes are superb.....
Really Romantic...
Especially if you're with the one you love.

Mind you, Church still does it for me!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 19:18   #13
God Member

I really enjoyed New York, though very tiring, especially if you try to fit in all the sights, lots to do and see there.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 20:43   #14

With Reference to Gail's comments on the steps of Paris. It brought back memories for me. I took my partner there for a romantic break. Due to the fact that I had previously lived there for a year, I found no problem finding all the attractions.

However, I made the fatal mistake of persuading my better half to wear some trainers as I new the steps could be grueling. The only problem was they were a new pair and the blisters she encountered meant she could hardly walk for the remainder of the trip. It is fair to say that I then found myself with a severe medical problem... ear-ache!
Darren Woodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 20:56   #15
God Member

Dublin is great for a weekend away. I know its full of bars and restaurants and the guinness brewery but there is other stuff as well. It was cheap enough as well to get too £28 return from Blackpool.

Rindy - Glasgow gave me one heck of a hangover needed a holiday to recover from that and idiot i am went back 3 yrs later and needed another holiday to recover from that weekend!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..