Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What sort of inpact do parking wardens have upon our town?
Positive 7 25.93%
Negative 20 74.07%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 13:18   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Parking Wardens

OK Neil...... so it isn't a time scale! That was the closest way i could think of to explain it.......but you have done it so much better. Glad to see you back........now what have you done with Garinda?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2006, 13:26   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Agree Neil, on every entrance to the multi storey there are full instructions on a massive board. If the drivers are too lazy to read them then its a stupidity tax not a parking fine. I'm also with Chav on teh idea of clamping/crushing those that park on Bburn rd near willows lane. It can be hard work getting past them all. however having said that, what genius at the council though putting those stupid parking bays in opposite a bus stop so when teh bus stops no one can pass it wants taking outside and shooting.

Yone, do you have a disabled badge? if not, then it is quite right that you were ticketed for parking in a disabled space, They aren't there for you to nip to the shop you know!

If I have one gripe about parking in accy, its the length of time you are allowed on side streets like Warner street. ATM its 1 hour, thats not enough to do a decent amount of shopping round the market. 2 hours would be a more reasonable amount. as it is I have found a quite little spot with no parking restrictions so I'm alright Jack!
Ah sorry should have made that more clear : Yes we do have a disabled badge for my son, who was with me at the time: another pet hate of mine people taking disabled parking spaces , that are not disabled:

Just seen the Warden ( now and almost got him my phone came with coffee in one hand and fag in the other...) wonder what the rules are on him smoking and drinking coffee whilst on duty:
yone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 14:03   #33
God Member

Should you have to have a disabled badge to be able to park in a disabled place though?
I carried on working delivering parcels to places such as front shops in tesco stores while I had a double hernia. The shops are at the front so I have to deliver through the shop entrance, opticians, key cutting etc. I couldn't go on the sick, and couldn't do my job without great pain.
I remember one day having to ask an old man to help me unload some heavy metal strips. He scowled at me something critical, to which I explained he's fittier than me, which then made him feel awkward and me.
I never want to be in that situation again, I dreaded every day having to ask people to put parcels on my van that I can now lift with my little finger.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 14:19   #34
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Parking Wardens

Rules is rules, is rules and they are in place so that EVERYONE benefits.

Parking Wardens, as they are known nowadays, are necessary because far too many drivers, or people for that matter, show little or no consideration to their fellow men and women. So we have to have rules.

The main and only purpose of a road is for vehicular traffic to progress along it unhindered. Along each side there is a pavement or footpath or for our American cousins a sidewalk. This is for pedestrians only. It is not for cars to park on or for cyclists to ride on.

This may come as a shock to many people but the motorist does not have an inalienable right to park on the public highway, not even in front of his/her own house. Any car parked on the public highway CAN be booked for obstruction, unless it is parked in an area marked out for that purpose.

Many people like myself have a disabled bay marked out on the road by the Highways Agency of the local authority in front of or by the side of their house. Did you know that ANYONE could park in that bay, with or without a blue badge without fear of official retribution? The marking is nothing more than a courtesy to the disabled person. But if there is a plaque on an adjacent wall or lamppost stating that there is a disabled bay marked out then only people displaying a blue badge can park there with impunity. Of course it can only be the holder of the badge who is using that vehicle at the time that it was parked.

Some people think that a blue badge holder can park more or less where they like but that is not the case. Oh! Yes! We can park on yellow lines but only if in doing so we don’t cause an obstruction to other traffic. We cannot park where there are kerbside markings and where there is residential parking in front of homes – that is PERMIT HOLDERS ONLY.

If cars are parked on both sides of the street and a fire engine on an emergency call has need to travel down that street but in doing so is likely to damage the cars by destroying door mirrors along the way, then it can do so with impunity. Why? Because of paragraph #4. I guess that is why people park with one wheel on the pavement to protect their mirrors.

In many places the painting of single and double yellow lines seems to be done on a whim rather than a need. The local authority has the authority to paint the lines so if anyone has a problem with them, they should bug the Council and not whinge about Parking Wardens.

The Parking Wardens are doing a lawful job but some ‘jobs worth’ wardens take things to the extreme, although technically they are in the right. Does a few minutes overstay make such a huge difference in the general scheme of things? Er! Yes it does! Because during a small overstay some other motorist might have come along and could have been able to park in, but for you, a vacant spot. Instead that motorist drove away looking for a parking place and spewed yet more CO2 into the town’s atmosphere. On the other hand does it really matter if a wheel is half an inch over a line? Not really!

Sadly, since the local authority has taken over parking monitoring they view the job as a nice little earner for the Council coffers.

I wonder what would happen if everyone, and I mean everyone, adhered to the parking regulations in and around the town centre for a month or more? The Parking Wardens would not find anyone to book, the revenue would plummet and the Council would be paying people for doing nothing and equally important not bringing in the cash. How long would they stay employed? Just a thought!
Old 08-08-2006, 14:48   #35
God Member

Fair enough, why not clip it to the back side of your sun visor so all you need to do when parking up is flick your visor down? How long do you get on a blue badge now?

My dad had one and TBH I could apply for my mum as I take her most places and her walking isn't up to much but I normally manage to get close enough or I drop her off and go and park up elsewhere. Plus I have a broken back and I'm not meant to carry any heavy weights very far

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 14:53   #36
God Member

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if everyone, and I mean everyone, adhered to the parking regulations in and around the town centre for a month or more? The Parking Wardens would not find anyone to book, the revenue would plummet and the Council would be paying people for doing nothing and equally important not bringing in the cash. How long would they stay employed? Just a thought!
That is an interesting thought
Old 12-08-2006, 06:08   #37
Resting in Peace

Took these on Blackburn Road yesterday Note the Parking Bay is Totaly empty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (91.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.0 KB, 27 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:48   #38
Junior Member+

if you think accrington is bad you want to try blackburn .theres a traffic warden round every corner.plus youve to pay to go on the market youve to pay to park in the side streets.every were you go in blackburn town centre it costs you to park.
green giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:28   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Took these on Blackburn Road yesterday Note the Parking Bay is Totaly empty
That's interesting Mick, seems as if he had parked in the bay, would have blocked the other two cars from getting out and caused world war lll .. !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 10:23   #40
Junior Member+

they have a thing at our local club for traffic wardens on a wednesday night its called line dancing .traffic wardens night out
green giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 19:47   #41
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Should you have to have a disabled badge to be able to park in a disabled place though?
short answer would be YES
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 20:35   #42
Always EVIL within us

My opinion? Traffic wardens are necessary in any town Accy included! However, it seems that locally, most streets are not patrolled which is where the system fails.

I drive large vehicles and am often "stuck" at junctions because of idiots that park on street corners in their Clio's and are oblivious to anything that is longer than 8ft.! On the other hand, I live within 1 mile of the town centre yet park almost every night on double yellow lines (but not causing any obstruction to the largest of vehicles.)

It is incredible what you can get away with in Accy, A couple of weeks back, I was driving a service bus thru the bus station and tried to turn right into Bridge St. I was blocked by a "woman" (sorry ladies) who was travelling down Bridge St. the WRONG way (one way and exclusively for buses except "access") and she expected me to reverse to let her drive thru the Bus Station! NO F**-er-flipping way! Where were the Police/Traffic Wardens? Nowhere to be seen. A one off? NO! She has passed me in Bridge St. on many occasions.

Either scrap the warden system, or give them real powers to fine a driver on the spot! Have you noticed that now, wardens not only have to write the ticket but also need to take photographs to PROVE beyond doubt that said car was illegally parked?
Old 17-08-2006, 21:32   #43
God Member

ye well I agree with the photograph, which is cheap enough and protects us from dodgy wardens and them from us telling lies.
Yess I'll post some pics of here if i can find them, parking on the pavement or on double yellows is the norm here. Deliveries have to block the road cos of idle people parking on the double yellows. If it's a delivery and thee is nowhere else I can understand it, but idle people no way.
Old 30-12-2007, 10:24   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Due to the lack of a large parking area the exception being the Ardale shopping in the town can be a nightmare
Rear of B&M Bargins
Cinema car park
Car park on king street
Car park under railway bridge on king street
Car park at top of Blackburn road
Car park for netto, motor mania etc
Car park Betwen Oak street and grange lane
Car park Wellington street

A large selection of spaces for those who look

PS who voted on a 6 month old poll lol?
Old 30-12-2007, 11:09   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post

PS who voted on a 6 month old poll lol?
Probably Mani Aleks voting negative ... LOL (see his new thread on a parking problem)

Just a note, went on Blackburn Arndale car park last week, just installed entry by a little round token and then in machine to pay .. don't forget to take it with you, otherwise may find yourself having to go up to your level to get out of car, then back again (or could drive down if room). No pay machines until ground level. Didn't notice any 'don't forget to take your token with you' type notices. Might have been, but couldn't see.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..