Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2011, 16:18   #166
Beacon of light

Re: Parliamentary Boundary Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I know what you're saying, but that's just how it is.

You could,if you wish, just join to add your voice to petition groups.

You needn't do anything else.

No need to have friends/share photos/or tell us what you're having for tea.

I know people who detest Facebook, but who have done this.

You were wary of Firefox, until you tried it.

Yes, G I was...but there is a difference.......you need a web browser...no-one actually needs facebook....and I cannot countenance joining a site that I am very wary of(because of the way it is run and some security issues).
I will voice my views on the government site....but it does somewhat dilute the message when all the dissent to a change is in different places.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-09-2011, 16:26   #167
Beacon of light

Quote:
Facebook's no different from Accy Web, just bigger.

It's there to be used, if you want to.

Some just read it.

Some like certain things, history, photo galleries, political stuff, film and TV etc.

Some like debating in various groups, others don't.

It's a fact that it has become the most popular internet media.

It seems odd not to use it, if there's something you do want to add your support to.

Many have joined up using a pseudonym, a well as deciding that they don't want to use it to share any personal information.

Joining need not be any different from signing on to add your supporrt to other online petitions.
belonging to Accyweb is as far as I want to go in social networking.
I just don't feel comfortable joining Facebook.....my daughter is on facebook so I have had a chance to see it in action.....and I just don't like it.......this is going to sound really daft, but I have no trust in the site.......especially after reading some of the antics that have gone on on facebook and not much seems to have been done about it......I'm talking about abusive messages on special remembrance sites....for the Welsh miners, and for young boys and girsl who have ended their own lives.
If that happened on Accyweb........I would leave.
I know we have our disagreements, but it feels like a 'family' disagreement....all families have them and you know that despite some harsh words you will still speak to each other.
Facebook might be a useful media tool, but not for me. Thanks, but No thanks!
Old 20-09-2011, 16:36   #168
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, G I was...but there is a difference.......you need a web browser...no-one actually needs facebook....and I cannot countenance joining a site that I am very wary of(because of the way it is run and some security issues).
I will voice my views on the government site....but it does somewhat dilute the message when all the dissent to a change is in different places.

That's fair enough.

I'm not trying to groom you, and entice you to do something against your will.

For me it just serves a purpose. That being just another and easy way to communicate.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 16:40   #169
Beacon of light

Quote:
That's fair enough.

For me it just serves a purpose. That being just another and easy way to communicate.

Oh G...that is funny. I don't think anyone would get me to do something against my will(and I am pretty sure you know I am strong willed and have a mind of my own).......I'm a monkey...not a sheep
Old 20-09-2011, 17:31   #170
Senior Member+

Quote:

Be careful, Margaret! He would say that,wouldn't he? Before you know it---?
Look at that smile!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 17:38   #171
Resting in Peace

Quote:
This isn't just the normal tweaking of boundaries, that goes on because of shifting population patterns.

This shake up is one of the biggest changes to happen in parliament for a hundred years, with the number of M.P.'s being reduced from 650 to 600.

It's important we at least fight to retain this area as a constitueny in it's own right.

We'll suffer as an area if our power is divided.
I'm quite aware of that Rindi, but with it each constituency has to have 75000 electorate with a 5% leeway, which means of us to retain the name Hyndburn there has to be additions, what they are proposing is using Hyndburn as the sacrificial lamb and carving it up to add to neighbouring constituencies, we have at all cost got to change that think by putting forward our ideas on how we can retain Hyndburn by adding to the constituency instead of the one being sacrificed
Old 20-09-2011, 17:55   #172
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Be careful, Margaret! He would say that,wouldn't he? Before you know it---?
Look at that smile!
I know he likes a bit of a challenge, but I think I am one challenge too far.
He made me smile though!
Old 20-09-2011, 17:56   #173
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm quite aware of that Rindi, but with it each constituency has to have 75000 electorate with a 5% leeway, which means of us to retain the name Hyndburn there has to be additions, what they are proposing is using Hyndburn as the sacrificial lamb and carving it up to add to neighbouring constituencies, we have at all cost got to change that think by putting forward our ideas on how we can retain Hyndburn by adding to the constituency instead of the one being sacrificed

There's all sorts ot tweaking that could be done, which would leave Hyndburn as it's own consituency.

Add Padiham, lose Haslingden.

Anything other than split the area and be tagged on to Burnley, and Darwen.

All I know is that we'll suffer as an area without a dedicated consituency.

Old 20-09-2011, 18:17   #174
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There's all sorts ot tweaking that could be done, which would leave Hyndburn as it's own consituency.

Add Padiham, lose Haslingden.

Anything other than split the area and be tagged on to Burnley, and Darwen.

All I know is that we'll suffer as an area without a dedicated consituency.
Hurray isn't that what I've been saying, but these proposals have to be put forward with reasons behind them
Old 20-09-2011, 18:48   #175
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hurray isn't that what I've been saying, but these proposals have to be put forward with reasons behind them
That's what people are doing now.

Old 20-09-2011, 19:17   #176
God Member

Quote:
The viable alternative is to keep a M.P. for Hyndburn, or at least fight to keep one.

Let other areas get split up, and tagged on to neighbouring constituencies.

I don't personally care what happens elsewhere.

I do care if we are deemed not important enough an area to warrant our own M.P.

Our historical and unique identity will be harmed, as well as the power and political leverage having a M.P. who covers the same area as the borough council, affords us.
We need to go further than telling the Boundary Commission that we have a distinct community which should remain apart of one constituency.

We can suggest which wards we want to add to Hyndburn to make it within 5% of 75,000 electors. By doing that though we have to take in wards from other proposed constituencies which has a knock on effect across the region.

I think we need to go even further and draw up alternative plans for not just our area but the surrounding areas so that it all fits numbers wise. I do think we stand a better chance if we do this rather than just telling the Commission what we want and then leaving it up to them to redistribute everything, as obviously people from other areas may then object to the way they do it.

I think it's important to not start getting political about it either. The Commission are independent; the re-drawing happens every so often to make things fairer and this time it's also partly a result of the expenses scandal.

In my opinion it's crucial that the local parties work together on this, along with their colleagues from elsewhere in the region. If we can get all parties to push in the same direction it will be a far more powerful argument.

Last edited by andrewb; 20-09-2011 at 19:24.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 19:35   #177
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
We need to go further than telling the Boundary Commission that we have a distinct community which should remain apart of one constituency.

We can suggest which wards we want to add to Hyndburn to make it within 5% of 75,000 electors. By doing that though we have to take in wards from other proposed constituencies which has a knock on effect across the region.

I think we need to go even further and draw up alternative plans for not just our area but the surrounding areas so that it all fits numbers wise. I do think we stand a better chance if we do this rather than just telling the Commission what we want and then leaving it up to them to redistribute everything, as obviously people from other areas may then object to the way they do it.

I think it's important to not start getting political about it either. The Commission are independent; the re-drawing happens every so often to make things fairer and this time it's also partly a result of the expenses scandal.

In my opinion it's crucial that the local parties work together on this, along with their colleagues from elsewhere in the region. If we can get all parties to push in the same direction it will be a far more powerful argument.
This could be where your life's been heading. Your destiny.

A political graduate, working in Westminster, keen interest in local government, and strong ties to your home town in Hyndburn.

Use your knowledge to help this area keeps it's own M.P.

What's heartening, despite the odd spat, is that there's more or less political unity opposing this proposal that our constituency disappears.

Tell people how best to make their views known, and what to do to help them carry more weight.

We're relying on your help.

Old 20-09-2011, 19:40   #178
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
The only people who seem not to be pulling together, are councillors in Great Harwood.

They seem to have accepted Hyndburn as a consituency will disappear, and are trying to push themselves off to the Ribble Valley.

Great Harwood petition bid over new boundaries (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Other than that, across the political spectrum, most people are against the plan to split us, and tag us on to neighboring constituencies.

Old 20-09-2011, 20:11   #179
God Member

You can submit comments online but you can also do it in person. The nearest Public Hearing is going to be in Preston on 24th and 25th October.

If we can come up with a unified response to the proposals then I would urge as many people as possible to register to speak at the hearing. We do need to have a solid drawn up alternative that takes into account the knock on effects though. Every constituency must total +/- 5% of 75,000.

You can register at Register interest to speak.
Old 20-09-2011, 20:16   #180
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
One crazy thing.

The population of Hyndburn is 81,500 ish.
The target for each constituency is 75,000 minus or plus 5% i.e. between 71,250 to 78,500.
If they simply took the two wards of Haslingden off and gave them back to Rossendale, surely we'd be the perfect constituency without much need for change.
It may well be 81,000 ish, but they only count the voters, not the whole.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..