Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2005, 18:26   #61
Senior Member+

Re: peacocks

I am sorry but that is not what peacocks sound like! The ones I have heard are described as "mewing";it's a two syllable high pitched call;fine examples to be heard on "Bram Stoker's Dracula". I spent a whole fortnight on holiday in a cottage that had peacocks wandering in the garden and never heard that noise!
Old 14-04-2005, 18:29   #62
Senior Member+

Just had another brief think about this;tintin said the peacock responds to high pitched noises;I must have heard the peahen making her call;the high pitched one;to which the peacock then responds with that racket! Ok;peacock pie it is then;short crust or puff???
Old 14-04-2005, 18:31   #63
g78

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
I am sorry but that is not what peacocks sound like! The ones I have heard are described as "mewing";it's a two syllable high pitched call;fine examples to be heard on "Bram Stoker's Dracula". I spent a whole fortnight on holiday in a cottage that had peacocks wandering in the garden and never heard that noise!

Ohhh get you staying in a cottage with its very own peacocks.... very upmarket I must say
Old 14-04-2005, 18:38   #64
land of hope and glory

Been practiseing (how the hell do you spell practiceing) the peacock call and will do a rendition of it at the next meeting.In fact we will all have a do at it 5 pints to the winner.you lot up for it?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 18:41   #65
Senior Member+

Now is this peacock or peahen Staggers? I can do a great peahen,but sadly I won't be there....
Old 14-04-2005, 23:55   #66
Senior Member+

Take it to Blackpool Zoo, they have them there, i spent all day following them to get a feather but it wouldnt give me one and i gave it some of my crisps i was gutted. So i bought some off ebay instead they are lovely and i got 10 of em.

I heard they were bad luck off some people but i also heard in feng sui they were protectors of the house i got that of the internet, we will soon find out which one is the right one i will keep you posted on any fortunes and misfortunes.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 20:13   #67
Accy Goddess

Mummiboo has alway's had a fixation for peacock's.
Even has a little girl she would wait and watch the peacocks strutting there stuff for ages.
She would get quite upset when we had to leave the birds.
Mummiboo would always ask them politley every time we saw them for one of their feathers. But she was never rewarded with one.
The outing always end up with her throwing an hissyfit coz we had to go and she had no feather.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 20:28   #68
Beacon of light

Well, personally...I wouldn't have them in the house. They are supposed to represent the evil eye. although I am a cynical old bird myself, I am quite superstitious.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 23:14   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

are peacocks spreading?went to lidl this afternoon about3-45 one was strolling along the pavement by hyndburn park school.
Old 18-04-2005, 07:03   #70

The peacocks that live on an adjacent property don't honk like that. This lot give a high pitched scream for 'Help' and in the dead of night that's exactly what it sounds like. The peacock in the url above must have had a sore throat , but by jeez, they're good to eat.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 08:59   #71
Resident Waffler

The peacocks I've known do that scream thing too and it's very disconcerting.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 18:37   #72
Senior Member+

"Peacocks I 've known".....Willow, that sounds like some dodgy book title!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..