Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 16:47   #16

Re: Plus 21p. Wow! Big Deal!

Changing the subject slightly. I'm sure i read not long ago that along with the minimum wage there is also a minimum holiday entitlement. Does anyone know if this is correct or have i been dreaming again?

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2008, 17:26   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Plus 21p. Wow! Big Deal!

I’ve posted this quote before and I make no apologies for posting it again.

The world has enough for every man's need, but not enough for every man's greed.
-- Mahatma Ghandi

Or more appropriately:
This country has enough for every man's need, but not enough for every man's greed.
-- Mahatma Ghandi

And therein lies the problem. 10% of the population are taking 90% of the cake and to make matters even worse the bulk of it is going abroad.
Old 08-03-2008, 18:42   #18
God Member

I used to work for £3.25 an hour when I was 16.

I don't think there should be a maximum rate. I don't think there should need to be a minimum rate either.

21p is a reasonable rise in my opinion though.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 19:08   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I used to work for £3.25 an hour when I was 16.

I don't think there should be a maximum rate. I don't think there should need to be a minimum rate either.

21p is a reasonable rise in my opinion though.

i once had a job where they paid me per day and it worked out as £1 and hour...... is that fair?

THAT is why we have minimum wage! because some employers dont give a monkeys about their employee's and will pay as little a possible

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 20:42   #20
God Member

as Cyfr mentioned, in 'working' households it is not uncommon for both parents to be working which gives youa combined of ~£23K

not huge but not rubbish either. What I have a bigger issue with is that on these sort of salaries its almost impossible to buy a house and then to afford to run it.

should we have a maximum? no way! how do you drive people to perform better if they can reach a point where they get no reward for that effort? Without that this country is right royally stuffed

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 21:03   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
i once had a job where they paid me per day and it worked out as £1 and hour...... is that fair?

THAT is why we have minimum wage! because some employers dont give a monkeys about their employee's and will pay as little a possible
Depends what your job was and how old you were, and how good you were at the job in my opinion.

Equal pay isn't fair to a lot of people but we have that. Who said life was fair?
Old 08-03-2008, 21:04   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
as Cyfr mentioned, in 'working' households it is not uncommon for both parents to be working which gives youa combined of ~£23K

not huge but not rubbish either. What I have a bigger issue with is that on these sort of salaries its almost impossible to buy a house and then to afford to run it.

should we have a maximum? no way! how do you drive people to perform better if they can reach a point where they get no reward for that effort? Without that this country is right royally stuffed
I agree with you. No way should we have a maximum wage.

At least no-one is working for a pittance these days thanks to the mimimum wage. My first job paid £40 for a 40 hour week. That's £1 an hour. At least you don't get that these days.
Old 08-03-2008, 23:10   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You must have thought so or you would not have done it.
Old 09-03-2008, 00:05   #24
Senior Member+

i didnt, i took the job to tide me over till i found a better one... some money was better than none at the time... i worked for 7am to 8pm 7 days a week. sometimes working day, night and the next day.. i was 17 at the time and i had bills to pay.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012

Last edited by emamum; 09-03-2008 at 00:07.
Old 09-03-2008, 00:05   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You must have thought so or you would not have done it.
I get the feeling it was a paper round...

I think you should be paid the quality and amount of work you do, not just a standard rate of pay regardless of the work done.

for example, if you have two builders... one is strong because he works out in his extra time, and has the ability to shift more bricks, and do more labour in general, whilst the other isn't as strong and can only shift 3/4 of the bricks that the first can move.

more work gets done by the first builder so he shouldn't get the same standard of pay just because he's the same age, same experience etc.

That's the way I see it anyway. You want more money, work harder. In this day and age everyone has access to education and support, there is no reason why you cant get qualifications and stick with your low paid jobs. You just have to get up and do it instead of standing around whinging about it.
Old 09-03-2008, 00:08   #26
God Member

Quote:
i didnt, i took the job to tide me over till i found a better one... some money was better than none at the time... i worked for 7am to 8pm 7 days a week. sometimes working day, night and the next day.. i was 17 at the time and i had bills to pay.
emma what was this job?
Old 09-03-2008, 00:09   #27
Senior Member+

taxi operator..... yes i was taken advantage of, but, like i said, i needed money, i had rent and food and bills to pay.

Old 09-03-2008, 00:36   #28
God Member

Do you know this thread could easily be linked with the polish child benefit thread, If less were allowed to be sent to polish families perhaps our minimum wage would look half decent.
sorry dont mean to link the two
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:27   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Do you know this thread could easily be linked with the polish child benefit thread, If less were allowed to be sent to polish families perhaps our minimum wage would look half decent.
sorry dont mean to link the two
how about raising taxes so we can increase wages a bit and send a bit more out in child benefit at the same time obviously saving a bit of the taxes to go towards a nice new car for gordon brown...

you cant discriminate like that, there'd be an uproar.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:43   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

How about getting rid of this Government that year on year spend more than they raise in taxes?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..