Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2013, 18:30   #76
God Member

Re: police speed checks m65

It seems that many are obsessed by speed.
A few extra mph may get you there early or on time, but is it really worth the risk?

It is a manifestation of the rat race.
If you can't opt out, just slow down.

You may have less time to sit in front of the goggle box, but there's nothing lost there.
jaysay and BERNADETTE like this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2013, 18:34   #77
God Member

someone once said to me that speeding dosnt get you to where you want to go any faster

i would just like to confirm that is bollocks you do get to where you want to go faster

its simple maths really i dont know why people say otherwise

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 18:35   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
someone once said to me that speeding dosnt get you to where you want to go any faster

i would just like to confirm that is bollocks you do get to where you want to go faster
Did arriving earlier make any difference?

Old 18-05-2013, 18:39   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Did arriving earlier make any difference?
yes i wasnt late for my appointment if i had believed driving faster dosnt alter the outcome of your arrival time i would have been late

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 18-05-2013, 18:47   #80
God Member

Quote:
yes i wasnt late for my appointment if i had believed driving faster dosnt alter the outcome of your arrival time i would have been late
Why not set off earlier?
jaysay and BERNADETTE like this.

Old 18-05-2013, 18:47   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:

its simple maths really i dont know why people say otherwise
Over a long distance, you will get there quicker. But over a short distance then maybe not.
I work up Shad Ind. Est. and on the way home I see this one guy who likes to put his foot down, overtaking everyone at every chance along blackburn road and through west end and everytime when I get to commercial lights he`s right there.
My brother used to live in Germany and I remember when visiting once he told me on a stretch of dual carriageway, that the lights were timed so that if you kept to the limit, the lights will be on green, if you speed you get to the lights sooner and they will be on red.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 18:53   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Swindon, although the police mobile units still operate.

Swindon has UK?s safest roads after SCRAPPING speed cameras - Yahoo! Cars
Swindon has some of the weirdest roads I've ever seen and yellow lines everywhere even on back streets that aren't wide enough for cars File:Magic Roundabout Schild db.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seen a lot of nasty accidents on the motorways on my journeys to and from Bristol, some have been fatal. Was very lucky once to not run into the back of a speeding white van who hadn't noticed the traffic had almost stopped and so to avoid the car in front of him he pulled in to the lane I was in without warning.

If you want to speed then that's up to you. What bugs me is when people are speeding and they try and intimidate others who choose not to speed.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 18:55   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Why not set off earlier?
i overslept and dont possess a time machine

Old 18-05-2013, 18:58   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Over a long distance, you will get there quicker. But over a short distance then maybe not.
I work up Shad Ind. Est. and on the way home I see this one guy who likes to put his foot down, overtaking everyone at every chance along blackburn road and through west end and everytime when I get to commercial lights he`s right there.
My brother used to live in Germany and I remember when visiting once he told me on a stretch of dual carriageway, that the lights were timed so that if you kept to the limit, the lights will be on green, if you speed you get to the lights sooner and they will be on red.
spot on if its town travel you wont gain anything but on the motorway and if conditions are right you can cut a lot of time off a journey.Hence why i dont see a problem with doing a little extra on a motorway if its clear and is most likely why a lot of traffic officers take the driving conditions and how busy a motorway is into concideration when deciding to give you a ticket or a warning

Old 18-05-2013, 19:43   #85
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
There's a few places like that, Gutersloh ring road & Bad Oyenhausen main drag spring to mind, if you travel at the stated speed 60 kmh (37 mph) or just below, you get a "Grunewelle" green wave & the traffic flows, to fast or to slow you'll be catching red lights.
Old 18-05-2013, 19:55   #86
Senior Member+

He was in diusburg / dusselforf and Kiel. Went over there a few times and can`t remember which one it was.
Old 18-05-2013, 22:22   #87
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Not that she will be on here but if that daft woman had bothered to look in her mirrors on the M6 this evening she would have noticed the big green thing rapidly getting bigger and it would not have been a surprise to find it a few inches from her bumper with its nose pointing downwards.

It's not always speed that causes accidents but other drivers assuming everyone is doing 60mph like they are.
Old 18-05-2013, 22:33   #88
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Not that she will be on here but if that daft woman had bothered to look in her mirrors on the M6 this evening she would have noticed the big green thing rapidly getting bigger and it would not have been a surprise to find it a few inches from her bumper with its nose pointing downwards.

It's not always speed that causes accidents but other drivers assuming everyone is doing 60mph like they are.
I`m guessing she wasn`t in the left lane. What big green thing are you talking about?
Old 18-05-2013, 23:17   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

had some daft tart today heading towards the roundabout along hyndburn road coming from asda direction decide she wanted a mcdonalds and promptly turned right into mcdonalds almost causing a pile up

big thick white lines obviously mean something else to some folk ffs

also i must really attract these morons because tonight coming into ossy some absolute prick in a black peugout 207 heading towards ossy from blackburn road jumped a red light and he had 3 kids on the back seat.Wonder how impressed the mrs would have been if he had killed them

Last edited by accyman; 18-05-2013 at 23:20.
Old 18-05-2013, 23:26   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The coach and horses was my watering hole back in the late 70s the number of accidents near those bends was incredible, the police were always spoiling our after time sessions Think the worst one I ever saw was a motor bike accident on the Haslingden side, the road was still one way when we were going home, the rider had been decapitated, what's more the poor guy was a neighbor of the wife's mother
Did your mother in law live on Broadway Jaysay?
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..