Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2007, 14:48   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Police stun-gun powers extended

POLICE officers will be able to use stun guns in a greater set of circumstances, it was announced today.
Fire arms officers were previously only allowed to use Tasers in situations classed as a firearms incident where a person is carrying, or has access to, a firearm or is so dangerous they have to use their weapon.

They will now be able to use Tasers where the use of a firearm is not authorised but where officers are facing violence or threats of violence of such severity that they would need to use force to protect the public or themselves.
watch out all you yobs out there, you are gonna get zapped!!
Old 20-07-2007, 15:18   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Police stun-gun powers extended

the ideas fine with me so long as some of the "Plod" dont think they are "John Wayne"
Old 20-07-2007, 15:46   #3
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Police stun-gun powers extended

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
POLICE officers will be able to use stun guns in a greater set of circumstances, it was announced today.
Fire arms officers were previously only allowed to use Tasers in situations classed as a firearms incident where a person is carrying, or has access to, a firearm or is so dangerous they have to use their weapon.

They will now be able to use Tasers where the use of a firearm is not authorised but where officers are facing violence or threats of violence of such severity that they would need to use force to protect the public or themselves.
watch out all you yobs out there, you are gonna get zapped!!
When I heard this, my first reaction was I could go along with that.

Then visions of workers striking for better pay and conditions and protestors against illegal wars came into mind.

Now I’m not so sure.
Old 20-07-2007, 16:39   #4
I am Banned

Hello All.

I have to say here that after completing Police training in the past and seeing the extent of real life violence that goes on peer to peer let alone towards the police themselves, I find it a relief to think that there is something that can now calm down (and stop in their tracks!) someone who is 'off their head' with rage.
There is so much that is not seen by the public and it does get rather frustrating due to the police getting so much undeserved slating!
Flower Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 18:05   #5
Senior Member+

As long as they dont get silly with them I dont see a problem.
Old 20-07-2007, 21:43   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower Power View Post
Hello All.

I have to say here that after completing Police training in the past and seeing the extent of real life violence that goes on peer to peer let alone towards the police themselves, I find it a relief to think that there is something that can now calm down (and stop in their tracks!) someone who is 'off their head' with rage.
There is so much that is not seen by the public and it does get rather frustrating due to the police getting so much undeserved slating!
not with you Flower Powerdont see any strong objections so far? even more confused now,just noticed yer banned yet only made this 1 post.

Last edited by cashman; 20-07-2007 at 21:45. Reason: add
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 21:55   #7
God Member

In Canada we seem to heading the other way. Last year there were, I believe, two deaths resulting from the use of tasers. Also, because they are percieved by the coppers as non-lethal, they tend to use them more. Like the coppers in Toronto last night after the under 20 semi-final World Cup game. The cops tasered members of the Chilean team.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 22:03   #8
Senior Member+

if its an option of tasers or arming the police with firearms, i would choose the taser anytime, and as for the earlier post about protesters, ask yourself wich would you prefer a shock and unconcious then coming round and feeling groggy for a couple of hours or smacked round the back of your napper with a great big truncheon, unconcious, stiches, possible long term brain damage and any other complications if not death head trauma can cause

mmmmmmmmmm taser please!!!!!!!!!
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 22:03   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
In Canada we seem to heading the other way. Last year there were, I believe, two deaths resulting from the use of tasers. Also, because they are percieved by the coppers as non-lethal, they tend to use them more. Like the coppers in Toronto last night after the under 20 semi-final World Cup game. The cops tasered members of the Chilean team.
thats an interesting insight Eric, perhaps a return to snotting em with a truncheon would be better?
Old 21-07-2007, 00:49   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats an interesting insight Eric, perhaps a return to snotting em with a truncheon would be better?
Those things smart. I remeber (vaguely) getting belted with one outside Turf Moor, back in '61 I think. It was a game against Everton. I remember the Everton goalie (I was standing right by the tunnel) whose name I forget, looking at the packed house and saying to a copper "I wouldn't have your job for a bloody gold clock." Can't remember if it was a cup game or what, but Dusty Miller scored almost from the second half kick off while that same goalie was still adjusting his jock strap. Anyway after the game there was what would now be called a "confrontation" between fans and rozzers. I got a couple of good ones from a truncheon wielded by a really hefty copper. Didn't feel much at the time as I was full of Massey's bitter .... tasted like swill, but it deadend the pain. But the day after!

In Ontario tasers are a hot topic. A few years ago there was a First Nations protest at Iperwash park. A member of the OPP tactical squad shot and killed Dudley George, a native protester. The inquiry which only finished this year agreed with the protesters that the force used was exesive. Polliticians and senior cops are still trying to cover their asses over that one. And the civil suit will probably cost the taxpayers large. In that case, tasers along with the pepper spray and tear gas, would have been better than deploying sharpshooters. On the other hand, the First Nations people had and still have a legitimate claim to Iperwash ... in effect they were on what no doubt will be found to be their own land. I think that it is the nature of a particular situation which should determine what kind of force is used. My special friend Tanya, a member of the Bay of Quinte Mohawk First Nation is presently at a protest in North Frontenac, about an hour north of here. She is supporting the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation in their blockade of land ... claimed by the Algonquins ... where a mining company wishes to mine uranium. With both sides, police and protesters wishing to avoid confrontation, the protest is going well and peacefully, but as time passes tempers are getting frayed. But in riot situations, where things are already out of hand, perhaps tasers would be fine, a hell of a lot better and more forgiving than bullets.

My god ... what a long post ... I think a day's fishing has tired me out, and put me in rambling mode
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 04:35   #11
God Member

Agree with Eric on this one , had quite a few problems (Deaths during arrest or whilst in custody) here in California with excessive use of Tasers, just an observation and without any scientific back-up, but it seems from reading the local paper most of the police involved in un-authorized/excessive use of Tasers have been either female or male cops of "small" stature.......long gone due to rules about 'diverstity' are the days of minimum height and weight requirements , now we see 5'8" 65kg runt cops up against 6'5" 150 Kg. Samoans in domestic disturbances, and its a bit difficult to explain why you used your gun to shoot the guy because he 'threatened' you with a barbaqued pigs leg
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 20:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
When I heard this, my first reaction was I could go along with that.

Then visions of workers striking for better pay and conditions and protestors against illegal wars came into mind.

Now I’m not so sure.
I understand what you mean, tasers aren't something I would have liked to have seen at Orgreave when I was there.

However if they are to be used as mentioned and against mobs and against legal protest (just because HM Govt doesn't like the ructions, think Chris Eubank and his truck, the Battle of the Beanfield, Miners strike etc) then I have no problem.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..